HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2013, 06:35 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame David View Post
really confusing and complicated, This job requires an expert on information technology
if there is a video tutorial I think will be easier to understand, if you have time, please do this

I can not open the file Make.bat and avra.exe on windows
For my stuff just open the zip file and extract the files in to your simonk source folder. Then double click the make.bat file that is now in your simonk source folder. Easy?

Of course if this is too difficult then it may be better (and safer) to just stick to the pre-built simonk hex files.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2013, 06:46 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
826 Posts
Quote:
really confusing and complicated, This job requires an expert on information technology
if there is a video tutorial I think will be easier to understand, if you have time, please do this

I can not open the file Make.bat and avra.exe on windows
Firstly, you did say you wanted to learn... and this is what it is about, so if that is not to your liking, give up. This is not an exploit of instant gratification!

I didn't mention make.bat, and I am not surprised you didn't find it. So much of this field is about attention to detail, computers tend to act on what you tell them, not what you meant.

Perhaps you should initially just download the pre-built hex files and load them to your devices. Unless you want to change the source, there is no real benefit to assembling / compiling your own, just a risk that you don't do it properly and ruin some hardware.

Owen
OwenD is offline Find More Posts by OwenD
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Feb 2013
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
For my stuff just open the zip file and extract the files in to your simonk source folder. Then double click the make.bat file that is now in your simonk source folder. Easy?

Of course if this is too difficult then it may be better (and safer) to just stick to the pre-built simonk hex files.
thank you, I did as instructed,overnight tries, I've compiled hex file successfully

however, when I change the program, I will not be able to see the errors. Make.bat inactivation is very fast, it does not stop on the display PC
Jame David is offline Find More Posts by Jame David
Last edited by Jame David; Jun 20, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 07:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenD View Post
Firstly, you did say you wanted to learn... and this is what it is about, so if that is not to your liking, give up. This is not an exploit of instant gratification!

I didn't mention make.bat, and I am not surprised you didn't find it. So much of this field is about attention to detail, computers tend to act on what you tell them, not what you meant.

Perhaps you should initially just download the pre-built hex files and load them to your devices. Unless you want to change the source, there is no real benefit to assembling / compiling your own, just a risk that you don't do it properly and ruin some hardware.

Owen

Thank you, I really want to learn the program.: O

I've loaded many kinds hex file for different types of brushless ESC. I know how to use them, I know the ESC hardware

I made 2 layer board circuit for brushless ESC with Simonk program, it works fine

Now, I want to add some new features for brushless esc, so I need to change the program

some new features need change the legs of the Atmega8 , to can draw the circuit easy , I need to report the location of a number of input and output pins suitable

this is picture esc brushless for munticopter 20a DIY
Last edited by Jame David; Jun 20, 2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 08:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
826 Posts
Quote:
Now, I want to add some new features for brushless esc, so I need to change the program

some new features need change the legs of the Atmega8 , to can draw the circuit easy , I need to report the location of a number of input and output pins suitable

Ok, so you need to assemble the source.

You will probably want to merge future main stream developments with your pin variations over time, so study how the variant ESCs are derived from the base.

If you aren't already using git, consider it as this is probably the best way to merge main stream developments with your variations (depending on their extent). Complicated sure, but works out in the long run. Makefiles are in the same vein.

This is not to recommend git, it is just what Simon has used so there is really little choice in the matter.

BTW, for this project, I use git (read only from the repo), bog standard AvrStudio6 (though I do NOT open the project in the IDE), and a slightly modified Makefile (as earlier described). To build a new hex, I make the source changes and use the command make <name>.hex.

Some of these elements can be intimidating, but just work through it. You won't get the knowledge from a few minutes of You-tube video.

Owen
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:03 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,056 Posts
Quote:

At your stage I found it easiest to use standard AVR Studio (5 I use) in the documented way, making use of all the help and project guidance provided. Just copy Simon's source code and work on it until it compiles in the standard way.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Feb 2013
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shering View Post
At your stage I found it easiest to use standard AVR Studio (5 I use) in the documented way, making use of all the help and project guidance provided. Just copy Simon's source code and work on it until it compiles in the standard way.
I can not fully convert Simonk code, using the AVR studio software

it is always an error, because the compiler is different
can not create hex file in AVR Studio

Currently, I still do follow the guidelines of Littto

someone has to do this with Avr studio ?
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:32 AM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,558 Posts
Quote:

Currently, I still do follow the guidelines of Littto

someone has to do this with Avr studio ?
Does the following help?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=209
Steveis is online now Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: KK2.1 V1.17S1 Updated Firmware
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:49 AM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
826 Posts
Quote:

I assemble the stuff using assembler2 shipped in AvrStudio6, but as explained I use Simon's Makefile (modified a little) in batch and IIRC it compiles ALL modules.

If you insist on doing it in the IDE, make sure you configure it all correctly. AvrStudio5 is so long ago I have forgotten it and I can't offer you hints... other than make sure you are using assembler2.

Owen
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:15 AM
Joined Feb 2013
137 Posts
Quote:
I assemble the stuff using assembler2 shipped in AvrStudio6, but as explained I use Simon's Makefile (modified a little) in batch and IIRC it compiles ALL modules.

If you insist on doing it in the IDE, make sure you configure it all correctly. AvrStudio5 is so long ago I have forgotten it and I can't offer you hints... other than make sure you are using assembler2.

Owen
with your method, you can send me the files you have successfully built ? I try your method, but fail

Currently, I'm building circuit 2 layer 4 in 1 , 2s - 6 s lipo for multicopter ,I want upgrade to add a few new features to the esc 4in1 , so I need to change the program.

I will share with everyone the software and hardware, when completed. I understand hardware
Last edited by Jame David; Jun 22, 2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 04:30 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,436 Posts
Quote:
with your method, you can send me the files you have successfully built ? I try your method, but fail
Seriously...
Take quad007 tool (search in this thread) - it will build everything automatically with needed options.
Install linux + avra, pull everything from git, type 'make targetname.hex' and you will have hex file aswell...
Use the same on windows if you want, it works for me.
126161 ways to compile everything, but i doubt you can change code properly if you can't even read error message (that you got missing file). How you expect to make changes, if you can't do simple things?

I suggest you to start from simple things - read. Read more, read and try to compile current version without changes. Think a bit when you ask also - "but fail" says nothing, you need to add exact error message, tell us what you tried to do, what you did, what you expected and what you got...
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:25 AM
Joined Feb 2013
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
How you expect to make changes, if you can't do simple things ?

I suggest you to start from simple things - read. Read more, read and try to compile current version without changes. Think a bit when you ask also - "but fail" says nothing, you need to add exact error message, tell us what you tried to do, what you did, what you expected and what you got...

sorry " but fail " -----> " but failure "

I say again, I compiles file HEX successfully, as directed by LittleMo ok

Now, I want to use AVR studio to compiles ,it is more common

My biggest challenge is to move from the source code of Linux software simonk -----> AVR studio. Then, I started the program changes for my project

I need a file convert not error using AVR studio .I will modify the program after

sorry if I'm asking too much, but I will share what I do with a great hardware, using program code enhancements Simonk when complete

thanks
Last edited by Jame David; Jun 22, 2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:33 AM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined May 2013
826 Posts
Quote:
Is that to question the accuracy of my statements? Are you suggesting that I have lied to you about building the modules?

You need to learn to interpret Simon's code BEFORE you start shifting pins around. On these processors, pins are not created equal and what you do for ease of PCB layout may frustrate access to pin function.

I think you need a collaborator who already understands microcontrollers and development tools, there is a lot more to successful system design that pushing some patterns around in a PCB design tool... and your artwork looks grossly incomplete at this point.

If you have been unable to use the original distribution, or any of the third party toolkits, I doubt I can help you further.

Owen
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:45 AM
Joined Feb 2013
137 Posts
Quote:
Is that to question the accuracy of my statements? Are you suggesting that I have lied to you about building the modules?

Owen
No .no " but I failure "
I do not think any cheating here. Do not misunderstand me
I want to access quickly, so I need one of your files. Because you have done this.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:53 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,436 Posts
Quote:
My biggest challenge is to move from the source code of Linux software simonk -----> AVR studio. Then, I started the program changes for my project
I would say - try to make changes now - big possiblity, that you won't need another software later...
Quote:
sorry if I'm asking too much, but I will share what I do with a great hardware, using program code enhancements Simonk when complete
My definition of "great" `slightly` differs from yours. There are already many faildesigns with all-in-one ESC's (aka 'cook one ESC - toss entire board' design), which aren't compact, easy to manage or good in some other way. Will they have one shared SBEC? What FETs they will use, or, let's check from another side - why it will be great?
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas