Old May 09, 2013, 02:27 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th View Post
I have some RedBrick 30A ESCs from HK.

I now notice that the one I just flashed gets considerably hotter than the rest.

Could it be that these cheapo ESCs run hot with the standard tp.hex and I need to use tp_8khz.hex instead?
The heating problem caused by gate noise only happens when the ESC is running (not full throttle) and loaded by a prop or similar to cause the motor to continue conducting when the PWM turns on again. If it is lightly loaded or if the PWM is slow enough, the coils are usually demagnetized by the time it turns on again, and it won't show any heating. So, make sure that it's not just some idle or BEC-related difference.

If you flashed the 8kHz version, you'd be able to easily hear this when running the motor. All running (except full throttle) will sound like it does just for a moment during starting.

Not sure why they'd be different, but they have changed things quite a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
Since the spreadsheet says that both variants of RedBrick 30A esc's don't have an external oscillator, and your pictures clearly show and external oscillator
My bad...I cloned the line to show that there are two versions, but forgot to update that column. Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkOver View Post
I think I have spotted the problem. I installed AVR studio who report me an error.
Hmm! Yes, your change is correct. Fixed. Weird that my both avra and avrasm2.exe doesn't seem to care about that. Was that AVR Studio 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash n Burn View Post
Hey guys, I got several of these Banggood 30A ESCs laying around. I can't seem to find any info on which file to flash them with. Any ideas??? It has a AtmegaBL 8AU 13060 chip.
Might be tgy.hex-compatible, but check first. Follow https://github.com/sim-/tgy/wiki/Ide...-configuration and let me know what part is confusing. It looks like they have an all-N-channel drive and inverting transistors.

...Ah, yes, ovaltine confirmed that tgy.hex worked. Looks not bad for the price other than the lack of oscillator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
How close to linear is the actual relationship between throttle position and motor drive PWM rate on a typical brushless ESC?

For experimental purposes I'd like to have an ESC with an FET duty cycle that exactly matches the throttle signal value, e.g. 15% stick = 15% duty, 92% stick = 92% duty and so on. Can this be accomplished by modifying presently available firmware?
You might have better luck with an approach more like what wii-esc is currently doing where delta-sigma modulation is used instead of a fixed frequency. The problem is mostly in the almost-off and almost-on margins since the PWM is done in software and there is some overhead, and the FETs have various characteristics as well. Otherwise, you can lower MIN_DUTY to something like 12 to get it closer to a full output range. You can also increase POWER_RANGE to 2000 or more if you don't mind making it audible.

Note that PWM on time also does not actually result in a linear motor response, either. The demagnetization through the FET body diodes causes a voltage offset. Enabling complementary PWM (COMP_PWM) counters this, but there are still delays, dead times, maximum slew rates, etc.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2013, 04:09 AM
Joined Apr 2013
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post

Hmm! Yes, your change is correct. Fixed. Weird that my both avra and avrasm2.exe doesn't seem to care about that. Was that AVR Studio 6?
Hello SimonK,

Yes, it was with AVR Studio 6 ( 6.0.1843 )
WalkOver is offline Find More Posts by WalkOver
Old May 09, 2013, 12:38 PM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
Hello, in first sorry for my english...

i have esc hk 25-30 ss series, but they are different from the pictures posted here. Mine have pad ...

What firmware inject them? they are flashable?

thank you
little33 is offline Find More Posts by little33
Old May 09, 2013, 01:29 PM
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
436 Posts
That looks exactly like My RedBrick 30s. Try tp.hex, and be sure to test with a 12v auto light in series.
5th is offline Find More Posts by 5th
Old May 09, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
but here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BQkZZRlE#gid=0

i can use tp_8khz.hex....
Old May 09, 2013, 02:01 PM
5th
Mediocre Pilot Extraordinaire
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2012
436 Posts
tp.hex is the 16khz version. Try the 8khz and see if it works properly. I may switch mine to that FW...
5th is offline Find More Posts by 5th
Old May 09, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
oky thank!!!!
Old May 09, 2013, 05:55 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaltine View Post
I just programmed 4 of these with TGY.HEX. All good!
Thank you Ovaltine!
Krash n Burn is offline Find More Posts by Krash n Burn
Old May 09, 2013, 09:47 PM
Joined Nov 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432 View Post
the .hex is what gets programmed to the esc. if you want to compile your own, you use the inc and some other files which creates a .hex.
I do not know how to Compile anything. I figured all I needed was grab the files like in the tutorial. It think my computer programming skills are maxed out.

and would the bs_nfet.hex file in here have the Boot loader? tgy_2012-09-30_0d3e617.zip
crashpilot1 is offline Find More Posts by crashpilot1
Last edited by crashpilot1; May 09, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined May 2012
4 Posts
Flash ok
Old May 11, 2013, 04:20 AM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
Very interested in your outcome. I too made smoke. n-fet draws over 11 amps as soon as it is hooked up.
Any more issues with the most recent F-30As being flashed/smoked? You guys are making me nervous as I'm planning on flashing the only 4 I have soon.
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old May 11, 2013, 06:35 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Apr 2007
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
Any more issues with the most recent F-30As being flashed/smoked? You guys are making me nervous as I'm planning on flashing the only 4 I have soon.
I'd say I am am no longer a believer in letting kk flashtool download hex from the internet.

I compiled my own last time and it seems ok. I haven't flown yet, but no smoke.
spiked3 is offline Find More Posts by spiked3
Old May 11, 2013, 03:02 PM
ground effect quad flyer
Germany, NRW, Meschede
Joined May 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
I'd say I am am no longer a believer in letting kk flashtool download hex from the internet.
If you don't trust the flashtool just use a regulated supply @ 9V 1A that might help to keep the magic smoke inside the esc if the firmware is broken. BTW LazyZero might be interested if you can confirm that it's the flashtool's fault.
rndmplyr is offline Find More Posts by rndmplyr
Old May 11, 2013, 04:34 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
I'm still waiting for my extra ones to arrive. Hopefully next week some time. I'm looking forward to flashing them, the possibility of smoke makes it much more interesting.

While I'm here, I've read posts about using a light globe as a current limiter. Should that go between the battery and the +12V wire of the ESC?
Any other things I should do to make sure we get the most useful info from my outcome?
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old May 11, 2013, 06:43 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post
I'm still waiting for my extra ones to arrive. Hopefully next week some time. I'm looking forward to flashing them, the possibility of smoke makes it much more interesting.

While I'm here, I've read posts about using a light globe as a current limiter. Should that go between the battery and the +12V wire of the ESC?
Any other things I should do to make sure we get the most useful info from my outcome?
That's what I did (see here). I actually used one of my old 7.2V nicad packs to power things. Also remember to remove the power jumper from your USBasp board too.

With the bulb in place there is still enough current to test a motor (up to part throttle).

Good luck!

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5