SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:48 AM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
What firmware did you flash it/them with? That side looks identical but pics of the other side would be useful
I used the kkMulticopter Flash Tool utility V0.70. The settings I used were:

Programmer: Usbasp
Port: USB
Baud rate: 19200
Firmware: BS N-Fet V2012-09-30

Have attached a picture of both sides of the ESC. Looks like the same number of components as the picture in the beginning of the thread.

When flashing the firmware everything went well. Got the successful message and everything looked good.
ChuckAdams is offline Find More Posts by ChuckAdams
Last edited by ChuckAdams; Apr 26, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2013, 01:55 PM
Wolfgang
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Joined Jun 2004
36 Posts
simonk firmware for fixed wing acro planes ?

Hi,
my name is Wolfgang, I am flying fixed-wing acro planes (F3A). I had serious problems with the acro-brake of my esc - looking for a solution I found simon's outstanding firmware and this thread.

A few words to explain the requirements:
An efficient "acro-brake" lets an electric motor behave like a combustion engine during vertical dives (gas=idle). The motor produces just enough torque to reduce (brake) the rotation speed of the propeller which reduces the speed of the diving plane by induced drag. (I hope the explanation is clear - more or less)

A working acro-brake seems to be the holy grail of esc-firmware developers. High-End products from Jeti and Kontronik for example can handle that, but they are very expensive.

Did somebody already use the simonk firmware for acrobatic planes ?
It would be great to use open-source firmware for this kind of problem !

F5B speed enthusiasts already had a similar idea - they want to modify cheap esc for their purposes:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=simonk+200a

Best regards & many thanks for your help,
Wolfgang
wkorosec is offline Find More Posts by wkorosec
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:10 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,499 Posts
I suggest you to try slow BRAKE_SPEED (1-2) + COMP_PWM.
Doubt you will get such result, probably aditional circuit is needed... But that should at least produce result somewhere near wanted (prop won't stop, it will spin from incoming air, but still braking).
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:17 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckAdams View Post
Does anyone know if Hobby King made any changes to their F-30A ESC? I flashed three of them for a Tri and they all flashed fine. When I put a battery on them the magic smoke came out almost immediately.

When I remove the shrink wrap the first component that connects to the red motor wire is fried. Thought it may have been a short the first time, but on the second run it fried a motor as well.

Used the latest software off the site with the kkmultiflashtool.

I have six of these same ESC's running in a hexcopter that I made last year and they work great. Not sure why they keep frying this time.
Definitely still bs_nfet. I would think a short to the frame perhaps or a bad motor with ashort inside it, on the up side, all the FETs are the same on that side so you should be able to get one of them working again by transplanting a good FET from the second fried one
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:33 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2012
85 Posts
simonK flashing List of people

I am looking for a list of people who flash esc's to simonK.
I will not attempt this myself.
ham4864 is offline Find More Posts by ham4864
Old Apr 27, 2013, 09:48 PM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Quote:
Definitely still bs_nfet. I would think a short to the frame perhaps or a bad motor with ashort inside it, on the up side, all the FETs are the same on that side so you should be able to get one of them working again by transplanting a good FET from the second fried one
I kind of thought the same thing when the first one fried, so I took extra care on insulating my connections on the second and third one. I have taken the motor that the third ESC fried on and have run it on a good RCTimer ESC that I had, and it ran just fine.

I think the next step for me is to try flashing with an older version of the BS NFET firmware. Probably the 6/2012 one.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 03:59 AM
Joined Sep 2012
200 Posts
Sorry newbie here!
I have read now quite a bit in this and other threads but my question remains.
I want to flash a HK 30A blue using kk flash tool, hobby king usbasp tool and adapter.
I want to use the speedies on a hexacopter.
Do I load the version with boot loader activated or without?
Guess I don't really understand what the boot loader is/ does.
Thanks!
hollgi is offline Find More Posts by hollgi
Last edited by hollgi; Apr 28, 2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:38 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
The bootloader doesn't affect the operation at all, it simply allows you to update the firmware again at a later date through the servo lead rather than having to cut the shrinkwrap of again
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Apr 28, 2013, 03:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
18 Posts
Plush old gen v3.1 40A

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post

See the spreadsheet and previous posts on the subject.
Thank you Simon, everything went well. Here is the confirmed pinout.
zaggy is offline Find More Posts by zaggy
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined Sep 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
The bootloader doesn't affect the operation at all, it simply allows you to update the firmware again at a later date through the servo lead rather than having to cut the shrinkwrap of again
Thanks mate!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 07:22 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know if Hobby King made any changes to their F-30A ESC? I flashed three of them for a Tri and they all flashed fine. When I put a battery on them the magic smoke came out almost immediately.
Not sure why they keep frying this time.
Have you worked out what the problem was? I'm about to flash the same ESC's, bought about 4 weeks ago, and I don't have any spares if one dies.
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old May 01, 2013, 03:44 AM
Troy, MI
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post
Have you worked out what the problem was? I'm about to flash the same ESC's, bought about 4 weeks ago, and I don't have any spares if one dies.
No, have been on the road with work and will not be able to get to it till this weekend. Let me know your results if you flash them before then.
Old May 01, 2013, 07:37 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Let me know your results if you flash them before then.
I don't want to risk 2 weeks of down time if the flashing goes bad. I've ordered 2 spare F-30A's so I'll start flashing with them when they arrive.
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old May 01, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Sep 2012
200 Posts
Sorry guys, I do this the first time and are a bit unsure which file to use.
I wanna flash Simon K onto my HK 30a.
Do I need the BS N FET file?
Or which one do I use
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367449554.037804.jpg
Views: 148
Size: 208.0 KB
Description: ?
Your help is appreciated.
Last edited by hollgi; May 01, 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old May 01, 2013, 06:18 PM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkorosec View Post
Hi,

Best regards & many thanks for your help,
Wolfgang
Ask also on the F5B thread you quote. I don't know how it is done. Is the braking re-generative or variable dissipative braking? Fitting a Unilog to an aerobatic plane would tell.

AB Lomas, I don't think additional hardware is necessary, but I may be wrong. It is all in the firmware.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering