HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:24 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Hi,

Took latest build, (turnigy 10A), adapted the it to "6 nops" and played with the revers / break / commutation

Wow! again. revers=1 and break=1 is amazing! If reverse=1 and break=0 it generates a current peak, not with break on!

I am really impressed with this firmware.

Thanks Simon

manu
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:29 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Here the results: tested with a turnigy 10A and a small brushless motor

work = tries to turn the rotor

Works:
"rcall pwm_wait" removed
6 nop's and lower

Doesn't work:
"rcall pwm_wait" present
7 nop's (slightly better then "rcall pwm_wait" )
Ha, so we're waiting 1/8th of a microsecond too long. Ok, thanks! I'll test big and small with a smaller delay and make sure it's good.

By the way, my RCTimer ordeer of 10A, 18A, 20A, and 30A ESCs arrived yesterday. They all seem to be mostly identical to the original Plush 25A and all have AVRs. The 10A has a smaller board but the rest are all the same with just different numbers of FETs removed.

Not sure why the 10A wasn't silabs, but anyway, it works just fine even with the 8 cycle wait! Must be the FET type, I guess!

Also, I tested RC_PULS_REVERSE on the 20A in my RC10, and it worked quite well.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Trying an unbranded 10A esc (tp.inc), i get the beeps..., when i raise the pwm input, rotor wants to start but the amps get high too quickly.
It seems that the fets can't close..., (when i touch the fets with my finger, current gets wild) (i use a regulated power supply)

What does this mean?

manu
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:17 PM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Trying an unbranded 10A esc (tp.inc), i get the beeps..., when i raise the pwm input, rotor wants to start but the amps get high too quickly.
It seems that the fets can't close..., (when i touch the fets with my finger, current gets wild) (i use a regulated power supply)

What does this mean?

manu
I'm not sure. I'm actually also trying to debug a rebuilt HK SS 18A board, where something similar happens. All of the FETs seem OK tested individually off of the board (with simple multimeter short check and gate charge method), and on the board all of the FETs can be turned on individually by the AVR with no current draw (other than a bit through the P-fet NPNs). However, when I actually try to start, it starts just fine and sounds normal, but input current goes up to about 2A just to keep the motor (2213N) spinning at low speeds, and the p-fets get hot very fast (n-fets stay cool). It seems to follow the PWM freq (lowering PWM to 8kHz makes it only take about 1A), and only happens at higher voltages (under 8V it doesn't get very warm at all and current is much lower). The scope shows some noise on the gates, and the 5V supply chip is heating up, too. Maybe the noise is enough to leak the gates on. Weirdness. Same code on a Plush board takes a usual .3A or so.

Anyway, in your case, it could be something similar or something different. Nothing is shorted on the board, right?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:47 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2011
328 Posts
Here is a photo of the RCTimer 40A ESC. It has the pads for programming and is the ATMEGA8L 8AU chip on it. I can take a photo of the other side if needed just I prefer not having to take off the heatsink, but I do have some heatsink glue if I need to do that.
Greg Nuspel is offline Find More Posts by Greg Nuspel
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:57 AM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nuspel View Post
Here is a photo of the RCTimer 40A ESC. It has the pads for programming and is the ATMEGA8L 8AU chip on it. I can take a photo of the other side if needed just I prefer not having to take off the heatsink, but I do have some heatsink glue if I need to do that.
Seems to be another layout, different from the 18A, 20A, 30A, and 50A RCTimer boards. I can't see where the sense lines go for sense pins. ADC4 and ADC5 must be connected under the chip if it is the normal "tgy" (type 2) pinout. So yeah, I'm not sure what could be wrong there.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 04:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
323 Posts
Hi SimonK,
I got the same RCtimer 40A as Greg above. I flashed with the tgy.hex just fine. The only problem is if I put throttle at 10 %, my pulso 2814/20(840kv) doesnt spin but it kind of jerk.Any throttle level above it runs fine. I am not sure this is normal.Other than that, both the motor and ESC are not even warm after running for a good 2 minutes. As I remember I dont need to set throttle level as it is hardcoded in the firmware right?
flashervn is offline Find More Posts by flashervn
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:11 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2011
328 Posts
Yes mine originally were doing the same thing, but the last time the one motor just didn't want to start and as I shut it down all the smoke that makes it work escaped.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:45 AM
Joined Sep 2011
323 Posts
Hi Greg,
What hex file did you used? the tgy one? And did this happen with all the motors or just that particular one? its weird as I have the same exact ESC, flashed with tgy.hex and it runs at max throttle just fine. only at 10% throttle it has that jerking problem
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:51 AM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2011
328 Posts
I used tgy.hex two motors seemed to be effected by this. I ordered another 2 motors and when they arrive I'll do some more testing. Maybe I can set the start point in open pilot up higher and it will help this.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:39 AM
Schweiz, BE, Münchenbuchsee
Joined Jun 2011
283 Posts
Hi
Anybody mod small ESC (eg. 6-10A?). My Motors use 2A for Hoover, 3A optimum and max 8A. So i need a smaller ESC

Thanks
Andy
Morphin is online now Find More Posts by Morphin
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:26 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nuspel View Post
I used tgy.hex two motors seemed to be effected by this. I ordered another 2 motors and when they arrive I'll do some more testing. Maybe I can set the start point in open pilot up higher and it will help this.
Even though the tgy.hex matched my fet arrangement I still had jerky starts and cutouts on some motors. Setting fuse to overclock the chip and lowering start point in the esc firmware cleared it all up and they are smooth now. Running four different hexes on four different esc ranging between 1000ms start to 1050ms start. Without reverse enabled the default is 1060 I think.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Sep 2011
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
Even though the tgy.hex matched my fet arrangement I still had jerky starts and cutouts on some motors. Setting fuse to overclock the chip and lowering start point in the esc firmware cleared it all up and they are smooth now. Running four different hexes on four different esc ranging between 1000ms start to 1050ms start. Without reverse enabled the default is 1060 I think.
Hi Pug, can you please elaborate on the how to?
Setting fuse to over clock?
Lowering start point in fw?
Thanks. So far I am as good as load the precompiled hex into the ESC and yet I am already pretty proud of myself That is why I need you to do a quick step by step guide
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:56 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashervn View Post
Hi Pug, can you please elaborate on the how to?
Setting fuse to over clock?
Lowering start point in fw?
Thanks. So far I am as good as load the precompiled hex into the ESC and yet I am already pretty proud of myself That is why I need you to do a quick step by step guide
and may you have many more successful hex flashes

I am not exactly competent to do a step by step of avr assembly and the use of avrstudio. Even I had to ask what kind of fet pinout I had

Go to the github site and download the complete zip package that Simon has kindly provided. Included in there is the source tgy.asm file. This file can be opened with notepad or another text editor. It is well documented so look it over and see if it makes any sense to you. The other matter is using avrstudio to open the asm file and then compiling it into a hex for the target chip.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
Joined Sep 2011
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
and may you have many more successful hex flashes

I am not exactly competent to do a step by step of avr assembly and the use of avrstudio. Even I had to ask what kind of fet pinout I had

Go to the github site and download the complete zip package that Simon has kindly provided. Included in there is the source tgy.asm file. This file can be opened with notepad or another text editor. It is well documented so look it over and see if it makes any sense to you. The other matter is using avrstudio to open the asm file and then compiling it into a hex for the target chip.
I had a look at the tgy.asm
Which line do I need to change?
Line 112 says".equ STOP_RC_PULS = 1060 ; Stop motor at or below this pulse length"

Is this the one?