HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:20 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
Robbe Roxxy 730

Just tested with PWM_COMP enabled:
Motor starts and runs, but on a regulated power supply, voltage drops quickly amps get up too much!

Thought this esc has all n-fets, PWM_COMP is nod advised at first.

Simon, can we do something to it?
I saw that the power capacitor was heating while running for a few seconds! There is some king of shorting there ?...

manu
PS: I tried also wii_esc (had to modify rb50a.inc). With pwm_comp enabled it doesn't run as with Simonk fw, it stops before amps get up.

Code:
//orig #define CnFET           7
//orig #define CpFET           5
#define ApFET           7
#define AnFET           5
//orig #define BpFET           4
//orig #define BnFET           3
#define BnFET           4
#define BpFET           3
#define rcp_in          2
//orig #define AnFET           1
//orig #define ApFET           0
#define CpFET           1
#define CnFET           0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
Okay I have to reply to my own post.
JÜRGEN_ wrote me a PM saying that Roxxy 730 is equal design than DragonSky60A and that is equal to RC Timer 50A.
So I tried rct50a.hex and it works like a charm.

Thanks again

Christian
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Last edited by alll; Mar 07, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:41 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,126 Posts
Anywhere sell decent preflashed ESCs?
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:22 PM
USA, WA, Tacoma
Joined Mar 2009
9 Posts
I've purchased preflashed ESC's from TheFernMan here on RCGroups and was happy with them.
I've also purchased ESC's from rcmanchild.com and I am happy with them too.
shersey is offline Find More Posts by shersey
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:48 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,196 Posts
Thanks
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:03 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
OK, I want this so bad. Finally combining the simplicity and robustness of a multirotor with the maneuvering ability of a helicopter.

mwc quad // ultraesc 3d (2 min 53 sec)

Can this be done with simonk and normal ESC's? Maybe by using the car reverse setting or is it not fast enough?
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:08 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
Hi!, +1

Mwii code adaptation:
http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewto...8fb28a619d5585

Yes, car reverse + motor break? + pwm_comp

I will definitely try it, when i have time

manu
PS: "with the maneuvering ability of a helicopter"
Goblin 770 Final Version in Lodrino, Switzerland (4 min 2 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
OK, I want this so bad. Finally combining the simplicity and robustness of a multirotor with the maneuvering ability of a helicopter.

https://vimeo.com/61127136

Can this be done with simonk and normal ESC's? Maybe by using the car reverse setting or is it not fast enough?
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:40 AM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
What does this tone mean? It happens when i rev the motors really fast...

ESC Tone - SimonK firmware (0 min 22 sec)

It will be a different ESC each time, well more like random because it can happen to the same one.

ESCs: rctimer 10amp flashed with SimonK tgy.hex. I've tried swapping in new ESCs and different motors as well as a different flight control board.

All my other copters although much larger use SimonK or WiiESC with out issue.

Thanks.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:01 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
Beep codes are at the bottom of this page, it sounds like a voltage brownout, which would make sense if you're seeing it at high throttle.

Can your battery supply enough current to your setup at full throttle?
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:21 AM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
890 Posts

sense caps for nfet blueseries 12a
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:15 AM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendoNZ View Post
Beep codes are at the bottom of this page, it sounds like a voltage brownout, which would make sense if you're seeing it at high throttle.

Can your battery supply enough current to your setup at full throttle?
Thanks! Voltage on my telemetry looks fine maybe an issue with my harness (although has worked fine for years maybe there is some corrosion).
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:20 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Hi!, +1

Mwii code adaptation:
http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewto...8fb28a619d5585

Yes, car reverse + motor break? + pwm_comp

I will definitely try it, when i have time

manu
PS: "with the maneuvering ability of a helicopter"
Thanks for the link!

Yeah, I'm being a bit dramatic since a fixed pitch will never have the pop of high head speed and instaneous collective changes. However, it would be really great for practicing inverted skills without having to maintain a complicated and always breaking helicopter. I think the main problem is going to be finding decent reversable props. Especially ones that won't break from the torque of high speed reversal.

I am wondering if these "ultra" ESCs do something that simonk can't.

I have been meaning to test COMP_PWM on my Blueseries 12a's anyway. I need to get on that. Anyone know if it works?
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:07 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
They work very well, you hear it already when running idle.
As said, esc that will be able to quickly reach their set-point is a must have for multi's (accelerating AND decelerating)! So if we could have a better (more accurate) feedback on motor position, a PID control loop would be heaven. And i don't care if i have to tune it for each different kind of motors.
So, the multicopter can go to the next stage, mainly by improving the esc responsiveness IMHO.

I have only to do the mwii_code adaptation to test it out.

Lets start the race

manu
PS: and yes, the simplicity of multis should be maintained, no collective setups.

Quote:
I have been meaning to test COMP_PWM on my Blueseries 12a's anyway. I need to get on that. Anyone know if it works?
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:25 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Lets start the race

I wonder if both MOTOR_BRAKE and COMP_PWM need to be enabled. Don't they sort of do the same thing?

Or I wonder if it might break something to enable both. I just tested with both enabled and nothing bad happened but it seems like MOTOR_BRAKE is unnecessary and may interfere with COMP_PWM but it's not clear.

Edit:
I ran some tests with MOTOR_BRAKE on and off. It seems to reverse direction and get up to speed slightly faster with MOTOR_BRAKE enabled but that is subjective. It's also noisier, making lots of squeaking sounds. Maybe COMP_PWM isn't needed. So I guess I still don't know what configuration is best.

After thinking about it, I don't imagine this will fly much like a helicopter at all. When you change pitch on a heli it still has air resistance even at zero pitch but on a multirotor "zero pitch" is going to mean slow spinning props and little air resistance (ie. it's a falling brick ).
Last edited by LittleMo; Mar 08, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:45 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,533 Posts
Damn, you started first

The idea is to "launch" the quad upwards, flip, reverse throttle...
Faster descends, ...

It will never be like a variable pitch, but more a proof that SimonKEsc / MWii_esc can also do it... or not, or will soon with improved firmware.

manu

Quote:

After thinking about it, I don't imagine this will fly much like a helicopter at all. When you change pitch on a heli it still has air resistance even at zero pitch but on a multirotor "zero pitch" is going to mean slow spinning props and little air resistance (ie. it's a falling brick ).
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:58 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Damn, you started first

The idea is to "launch" the quad upwards, flip, reverse throttle...
Faster descends, ...

It will never be like a variable pitch, but more a proof that SimonKEsc / MWii_esc can also do it... or not, or will soon with improved firmware.

manu
Well I'm not flying yet . I had to adapt the patch for MultiWii_shared and get everything flashed (plus test COMP_PWM with my motors). Flashing the ESC's from MultiWii was "interesting" because with the patched MultWii and unpatched ESC's they would start spinning right away as MultiWii booted. I should have flashed the ESC's first. (Edit: see the warning below, that's why they would start spinning)

I do have it running on my quad now but around center throttle some of my motors tend to stop. I guess I need to adjust the minimum or something. Probably a dead band mismatch between MultWii and simonk.

Edit:
Also BIG WARNING, when MultiWii is reset the motors will spin up as it boots. Every time.

Also, if you have FAILSAFE in MultiWii it will most likely make the motors run backwards when it turns on.

I'm also not sure what happens if LEVEL mode is turned on and you're inverted. Does it flip back over but keep the motors running backwards? That would be bad. The level code may need to be modified so it will fly level inverted.

Obviously lots of patching needs to be done.
Last edited by LittleMo; Mar 08, 2013 at 02:24 PM.