HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoro View Post
Hi all

I bought these opto ESC before I found this amazing post on flashing ESC, these are on their way to me; has anyone flashed these?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._4S_OPTO_.html

I have 4 Turnigy Plush 60A that have sat around for a while, 3 are Atmel 8 and 1 is Silab; I want to flash the Atmel 8 can any one point me in the right direction in regards to the pinout pads; I've used a multi to test the pins.
I've looked at all the pictures in this post with Atmel MCU and I believe that the factory flash tool may be set up in a default format in this order ( reset,Vcc,Grnd,SCK,MISO,MOSI ) reading the MCU from right to left or from pin 16. I'll load a picture when I fix my camera.

I've read so much that I have brain fade now so, my other question is this since I have Atmel studio 4 and AVR2 stick that came with my Flycam KK black board can use it to flash the ESC's with a slight mod to the AVR stick like the HK one? I have already got the Hex files from Overdude?

Hi,
You'll find this link in post1. It's very helpful in finding out which FW to flash with: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BQkZZRlE#gid=0

So it looks like your Multistars are flashablemaybe. As far as the Plush, it looks like they are too, but I am unsure as to the pin out pads but you can always use one of these: Atmel Atmega Socket Firmware Flashing Tool.

Hope that helps.
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Last edited by CheckSum; Feb 08, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:30 PM
Italia, Piemonte, Strambino
Joined Feb 2010
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSum View Post
Hi,
You'll find this link in post1. It's very helpful in finding out which FW to flash with: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BQkZZRlE#gid=0

So it looks like your Multistars are flashable. As far as the Plush, it looks like they are too, but I am unsure as to the pin out pads but you can always use one of these: Atmel Atmega Socket Firmware Flashing Tool.

Hope that helps.
I've checked that table accurately and multistar documented are non OPTO versions.
Maybe these OPTO are fake and are a missing BEC version of non-OPTO.
We'll see.

Willy.
willy163 is offline Find More Posts by willy163
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy163 View Post
I've checked that table accurately and multistar documented are non OPTO versions.
Maybe these OPTO are fake and are a missing BEC version of non-OPTO.
We'll see.

Willy.
Good catch, thanks! Yea, from what I read and have bought so far seems like optocouplers are only an advertising scheme.
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:19 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Hi, all! Sorry for the delay. I've typed up these replies a few times already but Chrome keeps crashing before I can hit submit. Pfft..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaZ View Post
I have a small isue with one motor at very low speed.
Between the board sandwich (unfortunately) are the sense resistors. Originally, the impedance was too high and with that particular layout, it has some sense problems when driving at low speeds. I have asked RCTimer if these have been changed yet. Meanwhile, it seems that an 8kHz PWM frequency (similar to the stock firmware) does work around the issue. With the 8MHz crystal as well, the attached testing build might fix the problem for the hardware you already have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noppita View Post
i bought several RCTimer HVSK-40A to be used with tiger motor. I know that this RCTimer HVSK-40A is using SimonK Firmware: tgy_debug.hex

does it have any known problem? my friend with with 4 motors and with naza dji and during lift off in 10 meters and suddenly motors stop, look like power cut off. i understand that simonk esc does not have power cut off program.
I do not know what would cause a sudden stop. tgy_debug is just a build of tgy.hex with F_CPU set to 8000000 and MOTOR_DEBUG set to 1 (which just outputs sync pulses on the MOSI pin). Do all motors stop or just one?

Quote:
note: i went into simonk site and i am no longer see download link to download firmware any more. what happen?
Github deprecated downloads and removed the link, but for now it can still be seen here.

Quote:
simonk, i have this rctimer HVSK40 amp with firmware version SimonK Firmware: tgy_debug.hex and if i want to re-flashing this esc with your older firmware date 09/30. can i do that?
You can, but you will need to set the fuses to the 8MHz internal oscillator. It will actually run at 16MHz in this mode, whereas the external crystal otherwise forces it to 8MHz. If the attached test build does not fix it for you, I would be interested to hear if using the stock firmware does. It should set the 8MHz oscillator to about 16MHz and run like most other boards, albeit possibly with some jitters or vibrations at very low speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBravo View Post
Anyone can help.........
You cannot flash them because of what the factory has done. It is possible to revive the chip with high voltage programming, but this is not possible while it is attached to the ESC. If you are removing the chip anyway, it is easier to just rework on a new ATmega8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOPPI2 View Post
does anyone have a controller software for a Atmega168
I have an old unfinished port for it, but it turned out to be pretty ugly to do in assembly without forking a lot of things. The uavp-ng people have just done it again and I will probably merge some derivation of both. Meanwhile, you could just replace the chip with an ATmega8, since it is pin-compatible, or perhaps make a new hardware board for wii-esc, which is in C, and should be easy to do (I see there is ATmega32U4 support in there now ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by critical_limit View Post
Anyone here who knows which file I have to use for above Controllers?
I asked HobbyKing, but apparently they did not make it and are not sure. If you get it, you could follow the Identifying ESC pin configuration guide and see if it will work with an existing target, or make a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by future88 View Post
hello simonk and everyone
I use the AVR studio compile the file asm to file hex , my brushless esc use bs_nfet. ( hoppking 20a )
I want to ask, how to insert file bs_nfet. inc in AVR studio? it was appear error
You just have to remove all of the includes for the wrong boards, and include only the one you need. It's not as easy as with the Makefile, but it should work.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:34 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirac View Post
I have MAG8 Toward Pro 18A but the board looks different
Indeed, it seems to be different. The 16MHz resonator means it is probably not the same software. You will need to follow this and see if it matches one if the existing .inc files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukie View Post
Hi I noticed that the turnigy f50 is not included in esc compatible for simonk fw? is this just an accident they missed out or I really cant flashed the f50 with simonk?
They just didn't stock the F-50A until recently, as well as some other sizes. bs.hex should work. Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNboy View Post
if I flash my Multistar 45amp ESC with the kda.hex file
Note that I think it is actually dlu40a.hex for that one (spreadsheet updated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Okto View Post
Hey i got these rctimer 30a preflashed escs, they look different than the old ones?!
or are they just using different fets? can i still use the tgy.hex ?
Looks to me like just different FETs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexacop View Post
From the 6 I got, one is not working, when changing the throttle a little faster the motor gets stuck.
Are you sure that particular one is different? When it gets stuck, do you have to power cycle?
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:07 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,234 Posts
Help to avoid unnecessary reading,

Has page one of this thread been updated to include the up to date links, and is the flashing procedure the same? I found the instructions to be very easy to understand, but I want to make sure before I take the covering off my RCTimer 40A Escs. These EScs have caused me nothing but grief, I have had the same problems of uneven acceleration as noted in previous posts.

Thanks

Al G.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:12 PM
DiaLFonZo - UAV/Drone
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2007
6,754 Posts
Hi, i have a customer who have a question.
Maybe someone can find an answer..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1829482

Thanks a lot
Dialfonzo is offline Find More Posts by Dialfonzo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dialfonzo; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:12 PM
Work sucks....im going flying
UK, Worcestershire, Worcester
Joined Aug 2003
221 Posts
Apache AP-30A

Hi All,
This looks a lot like the Mystery FM30A, would you agree? This is an Apache AP-30A and as luck would have it I have 4 of them

My only problem is I cant seem to find the FM30A on the list of ESC's so I can work out which Firmware to flash it with,

Can anyone please advise advise which firmware would be the best to try?
mart1971 is offline Find More Posts by mart1971
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:20 PM
Work sucks....im going flying
UK, Worcestershire, Worcester
Joined Aug 2003
221 Posts
Apache AP-20A

Hi,
Here are some photos of the Apache AP-20A which looks exactly the same as the 12A version.
mart1971 is offline Find More Posts by mart1971
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm the first to admit that I'm not going to be a "ESC Programming/Flashing" guy, so I was hoping to get some recommendations on good quality SimonK pre-flashed ESC's for a NAZA hexacopter build.

I've always used Plush 18a and 25a ESC's for my quadcopters (with NAZA FC) and have had ZERO issues but want to try SimonK firmware due to all the rants and raves about it. Kudos Simon

Any thoughts/options you all can suggest would be great.

Thanks in advance.
dslack67 is offline Find More Posts by dslack67
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:18 AM
Fastflydan
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Hello everyone,

From our side, we opted for the electronic Dji Naza-m + GPS. We first tested the electronic XAircraft (both versions) and we had good scares that have cooled over the material. Dji with technology, no problem since!

Here is our first video filmed with a Gopro on a standard mount (no brace and no potentiometer). All the specs are in the video description. Plus esc dys flashed with SimonK firmware!! So perfect

http://www.matterhorns.org/pages/vid...craft-650.html
Winterproof Multirotor - XAircraft 650 with Dji Naza and Gopro Hero (4 min 25 sec)

Have Fun & Fly. over
www.matterhorns.ch
www.twitter.com/MFlyers
www.facebook.com/MatterhornsFlyers
Killadan is offline Find More Posts by Killadan
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:54 PM
UAS Engineer
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined May 2012
223 Posts
Does this work with Red Brick 20amp escs?
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:05 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Sydenham
Joined Jan 2012
6,577 Posts
just thought I would share these
Dunno what can be done to it but ats an atmega168
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by irun4fundotca; Feb 19, 2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
214 Posts
Multistar Opto ESC

Ok my Turnigy multistar "Opto" 30A arrived this morning, they came without any instructions! I also ordered the Atmeg programming tool which I hoped will work with my AVRISP V2.1 that came with my FlyCam Blackboard; please any pointers as to how to get these programing tools to work I've tried but failed so far on a Turnigy Plush 30A and 60A. Before I try flashing the Multistar's I'll flight test them, here are some pictures to add to the spreadsheet. The FET are numbered TCP8020?
Njoro is offline Find More Posts by Njoro
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:13 AM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoro View Post
Ok my Turnigy multistar "Opto" 30A arrived this morning, they came without any instructions! I also ordered the Atmeg programming tool which I hoped will work with my AVRISP V2.1 that came with my FlyCam Blackboard; please any pointers as to how to get these programing tools to work I've tried but failed so far on a Turnigy Plush 30A and 60A. Before I try flashing the Multistar's I'll flight test them, here are some pictures to add to the spreadsheet. The FET are numbered TCP8020?
I'm not sure if thsi will help you but I've been successfully flashing Hobbyking F30 and F40 ESCs using the Hobbyking Atmega programming tool with eXtreme Burner-AVR software .

http://extreme-burner-avr.software.i...1.3b/download/
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky