HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:46 AM
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
Multistar 30A

Hi all,
i read the wohle bunch of 468 Pages in the last days... sooo am i now somekind of expert for Flashing ESCs with SimonK Fimrware??

Im new into Mutlirotors but have already built Helicopters and other RC (Cars,Boats,Planes)

I will Build a TriCopter.

All i need for it and also 3x Multistar 30A ESCs are on their way from HK to me.
As i now know, i can use the kda.hex for Flashing them.

(The Multistar 30A is the same as KDA Saker 30A) so it should work, the Board of the Multistar 30A has the Same layout as the Saker 30A (See Picture) which was already flashed with success of someone here.

I will post my results here after Flashing. Now the Shipping only needs to hit Switzerland
ripcurl777 is offline Find More Posts by ripcurl777
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hexapilot
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Oh boy another batch of different ESC with the same label ...
As one of my hobbywing flyfun 40A opto no bec with SiLabs chip burned down, I have ordered a new one and guess what, it has another board...
This are the pictures of the "same" brand but different hardware inside.
I'm really tired with this Chinese shi.., bought 3 times all this cheap shi.., for the same money I could have bought a set of Caste Creations ESC and go fly with fun.
hexacop is offline Find More Posts by hexacop
Last edited by hexacop; Feb 08, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:06 PM
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexacop View Post
As one of my hobbywing flyfun 40A opto no bec with SiLabs chip burned down, I have ordered a new one and guess what, it has another board with Atmel chip...
I'm really tired with this Chinese shi.., bought 3 times all this cheap shi.., for the same money I could have bought a set of Caste Creations ESC and go fly with fun.
Sad.. But if you buy an iPad, it looks the same outside, but the Display Panels are also from different suppliers!

I know not the same and i would also get abou that!!!!!!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
HVSK-40A Multicopter Brushless ESC 40A (OPTO)

Hi all, I bought these from RCTimer and am a little unsure which firmware to use as RCT says the firmware used is tgy_debug.hex but I do not see that in the list of firmwares when I download the SimonK GitHub Zip.

Also, I checked out the spreadsheet from post 1and I am also a little unsure as to where these ESC's fit in? RCTimer seems to eludes to these having an external oscillator, but it does not appear so from the spreadsheet.

Thanks
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:45 PM
Hexapilot
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckSum View Post

Hi all, I bought these from RCTimer and am a little unsure which firmware to use as RCT says the firmware used is tgy_debug.hex but I do not see that in the list of firmwares when I download the SimonK GitHub Zip.

Also, I checked out the spreadsheet from post 1and I am also a little unsure as to where these ESC's fit in? RCTimer seems to eludes to these having an external oscillator, but it does not appear so from the spreadsheet.

Thanks
Here we go, I have this ..... here:
The OPTO version is the same board layout like the previous one, there is no OPTO on the board and no BEC circuits.
The firmware is the same, tgy.hex.
From the 6 I got, one is not working, when changing the throttle a little faster the motor gets stuck.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Dec 2009
362 Posts
Quote:
As one of my hobbywing flyfun 40A opto no bec with SiLabs chip burned down, I have ordered a new one and guess what, it has another board with Atmel chip...
I'm not sure you have to despair .
It looks like the ESC has a SiLabs chip (on the inside), in fact it looks very similar to the Plush 40A, except that the BEC components have not been mounted. 99% sure you can use the Plush 40A code. But of course in order to avoid magic smoke, it is advisable to use current limiting .
sskaug is offline Find More Posts by sskaug
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
Quote:
Here we go, I have this ..... here:
The OPTO version is the same board layout like the previous one, there is no OPTO on the board and no BEC circuits.
The firmware is the same, tgy.hex.
From the 6 I got, one is not working, when changing the throttle a little faster the motor gets stuck.
hexacop-
Thanks for the reply. I am not very good at understanding exactly how ESC's work. but in the attached photo the red in not the optocoupler?? Also the green is the "high stability crystal oscillator" as RC Timer stated it. I've never seen an ATmel chip run w/out a crystal but know they can so it seems they my be over stating this as well?

Thanks to anyone who can help me understand this better.

**EDIT**
I now see that is not the Opto. That thing is supplying 5V to atemega...and I just paid to much $$ for a misleading advertised ESC.
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Last edited by CheckSum; Apr 05, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurl777 View Post
Hi all,
i read the wohle bunch of 468 Pages in the last days... sooo am i now somekind of expert for Flashing ESCs with SimonK Fimrware??

Im new into Mutlirotors but have already built Helicopters and other RC (Cars,Boats,Planes)

I will Build a TriCopter.

All i need for it and also 3x Multistar 30A ESCs are on their way from HK to me.
As i now know, i can use the kda.hex for Flashing them.

(The Multistar 30A is the same as KDA Saker 30A) so it should work, the Board of the Multistar 30A has the Same layout as the Saker 30A (See Picture) which was already flashed with success of someone here.

I will post my results here after Flashing. Now the Shipping only needs to hit Switzerland
What firmware are you using for this multistar 30A ECS?
AlphaBravo is offline Find More Posts by AlphaBravo
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:19 PM
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBravo View Post
What firmware are you using for this multistar 30A ECS?
Hi Alpha,
Kda.hex for Keda should work! Have look to this table:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BQkZZRlE#gid=0

The Multistars are also there(with their OrderNr from HK)

Cheers
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:48 AM
Hexapilot
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
I'm not sure you have to despair .
It looks like the ESC has a SiLabs chip (on the inside), in fact it looks very similar to the Plush 40A, except that the BEC components have not been mounted. 99% sure you can use the Plush 40A code. But of course in order to avoid magic smoke, it is advisable to use current limiting .
@sskaug,
do you think it is a SiLabs chip? Any idea how I can identify which of the 3 pins needs to be connected to the programmer? I guess ground could be identified easily. Can I assume the next to ground is plus, which I don't need to connect, and the next 2 are the programming pins?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Dec 2009
362 Posts
Quote:
@sskaug,
do you think it is a SiLabs chip? Any idea how I can identify which of the 3 pins needs to be connected to the programmer? I guess ground could be identified easily. Can I assume the next to ground is plus, which I don't need to connect, and the next 2 are the programming pins?
Yes. Take a look at the Plush 40A pic in this doc: https://github.com/bitdump/BLHeli/bl...s.pdf?raw=true
sskaug is offline Find More Posts by sskaug
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joined Jan 2009
214 Posts
Hi all

I bought these opto ESC before I found this amazing post on flashing ESC, these are on their way to me; has anyone flashed these?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._4S_OPTO_.html

I have 4 Turnigy Plush 60A that have sat around for a while, 3 are Atmel 8 and 1 is Silab; I want to flash the Atmel 8 can any one point me in the right direction in regards to the pinout pads; I've used a multi to test the pins.
I've looked at all the pictures in this post with Atmel MCU and I believe that the factory flash tool may be set up in a default format in this order ( reset,Vcc,Grnd,SCK,MISO,MOSI ) reading the MCU from right to left or from pin 16. I'll load a picture when I fix my camera.

I've read so much that I have brain fade now so, my other question is this since I have Atmel studio 4 and AVR2 stick that came with my Flycam KK black board can use it to flash the ESC's with a slight mod to the AVR stick like the HK one? I have already got the Hex files from Overdude?
Njoro is offline Find More Posts by Njoro
Last edited by Njoro; Feb 08, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:12 PM
Italia, Piemonte, Strambino
Joined Feb 2010
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoro View Post
Hi all

I bought these opto ESC before I found this amazing post on flashing ESC, these are on their way to me; has anyone flashed these?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._4S_OPTO_.html

[...]
I've bought same ESC but 20A version. I've asked same question but no reply at the moment.
I'm waiting them to arrive from HK but usually it takes up to 1 month due to looooong italian custom inspection.
I suppose you'll receive yours before me.

Willy.
willy163 is offline Find More Posts by willy163
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Jan 2009
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy163 View Post
I've bought same ESC but 20A version. I've asked same question but no reply at the moment.
I'm waiting them to arrive from HK but usually it takes up to 1 month due to looooong italian custom inspection.
I suppose you'll receive yours before me.

Willy.
I'm in the UK so chances are I'll get them before you, I'll be trying to fix my camera tomorrow so I'll post as soon as

HK won't be able to sell these "Opto from the UK warehouse if they are not really Optos" because of the trade descriptions act in force here in the UK.

I'm hoping my copter will fly better soon; I was encouraged when I changed to 20A Hobbywing but the Amp rating is too low for my 1.9 copter
Njoro is offline Find More Posts by Njoro
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:51 PM
Hexapilot
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskaug View Post
Yes. Take a look at the Plush 40A pic in this doc: https://github.com/bitdump/BLHeli/bl...s.pdf?raw=true
Thank you Sskaug,
I have flashed the 'black sheep' and will give them a last try, hope there is no big difference in the ESC behavior ...