HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:37 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hmm, I've never had a problem myself with the F-20A boards. The voltage sense resistors and other things typically drain it almost instantly. If you make a solid connection to it from a power source, it should not give the brown-out beeps. Make sure you are not indirectly leaking power into it through some other source, like a powered servo tester or usbasp. Does anybody else have this problem? I could remove the check again, I suppose...
Sorry, I was just asking for info. I haven't got around to trying to flash my ESC's yet. Have only done my KK boards, powered through the USBasp. Sounds like it's really worth setting up to power ESC's externally (with current limit) rather than using the USBasp, so that's what I think I'll do (use the right tool for the job).

This was the first I remember seeing about the "brown out" (and I've been following this thread from early days, but some days my memory is "good but short" ) and was wondering if it was something that could have been explaining a good few of the problems that some people seem to have. Just wanting to make sure I understood, so please **don't** make any changes based on my comment.

Thanks again for all the support.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:36 AM
Joined Apr 2012
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post

Hmm, I've never had a problem myself with the F-20A boards. The voltage sense resistors and other things typically drain it almost instantly. If you make a solid connection to it from a power source, it should not give the brown-out beeps. Make sure you are not indirectly leaking power into it through some other source, like a powered servo tester or usbasp. Does anybody else have this problem? I could remove the check again, I suppose...
Simon, thanks for your answer eariler, I didn't get a chance to test mine out, I was going to put a load on the 5V bec to see if I can get the cap to drain quickly on power disconnect. Is the check simply an audio warning and no other difference in how the ESC is operating? If so, I'm not sure the check is useful to the average user other than to confuse them.

Andrew
dopplet is offline Find More Posts by dopplet
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Jan 2004
112 Posts
Wendo/rshep/Manu,
Thanks all.

You guys all seem to be pointing me in the same direction of powering the esc externally, I'll give that a shot and see if it helps. I did try the asp on my KK board last thing last night and it worked ok.

Do I take it that a resistance is all that is required to limit current?
Could I use a ceramic resistor instead of a light bulb?
Cheers all in advance.
D
maddog7 is offline Find More Posts by maddog7
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:47 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog7 View Post
Wendo/rshep/Manu,
Thanks all.

You guys all seem to be pointing me in the same direction of powering the esc externally, I'll give that a shot and see if it helps. I did try the asp on my KK board last thing last night and it worked ok.

Do I take it that a resistance is all that is required to limit current?
Could I use a ceramic resistor instead of a light bulb?
Cheers all in advance.
D
If I remember right a light bulb has a non-linear resistance to current relationship which makes it especially suited for current limiting.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2004
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo5 View Post
If I remember right a light bulb has a non-linear resistance to current relationship which makes it especially suited for current limiting.

cheers,
Andrew
Smashing Banjo,
I'll use a bulb!
Cheers
D
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2004
112 Posts
Thank you everyone and Simonk for the FW

Just like to say thank you to everyone for their suggestions.

After trying all the suggestions on my original ESC I could NOT get it to work.
I had to assume that either that ESC was defective from the off or I'd possibly killed it because I'd not held the the wires properly.

When I attempted to do the second one, I used the bulb and external power source as suggested by many of you and it worked fine.

I've only tested 1 of the 5 I flashed but it seems to be working as one would expect.

Thank you Manu, Wendo, Rshep, Banjo and of course Simon for the FW in the first place.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
172 Posts
guys if i flash the HobbyKing F-20A esc with SimonK Firmware can i flash back to the original Firmware ?
presa1200 is offline Find More Posts by presa1200
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:01 AM
Hexapilot
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
LiPolice ESC 40A-OPTO ?

Anyone here who have seen this layout of the LiPolice ESC 40A-OPTO ESC?
The ESC is sold in Austria by Schweighofer, but maybe it is just another label of an existing and known brand?
Wonder if there it a firmware available already?
And it looks like there is a real OPTO on board!
hexacop is offline Find More Posts by hexacop
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:04 AM
Hexapilot
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by presa1200 View Post
guys if i flash the HobbyKing F-20A esc with SimonK Firmware can i flash back to the original Firmware ?
If you have the original firmware you can, but I'm sure you won't find the original firmware for download at HK
hexacop is offline Find More Posts by hexacop
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:11 AM
Joined Nov 2010
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexacop View Post
If you have the original firmware you can, but I'm sure you won't find the original firmware for download at HK
so you mean there no way to back up the original firmware ? I thought you can read from the ATMEL chip
presa1200 is offline Find More Posts by presa1200
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:14 AM
Greece, Makedonia Thraki, Katerini
Joined Jun 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexacop View Post
Anyone here who have seen this layout of the LiPolice ESC 40A-OPTO ESC?
The ESC is sold in Austria by Schweighofer, but maybe it is just another label of an existing and known brand?
Wonder if there it a firmware available already?
And it looks like there is a real OPTO on board!
Looks identical to Trust 45A with the sbec part removed..
theo_mich is offline Find More Posts by theo_mich
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:18 AM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Simon

Thanks for finding that the RC Timer ESC 50A opto will work with your hk200a.hex firmware. The RCT 50A optos are the only low cost 7s (28volt) ESC I found and they should work well for my AutoQuad quad.
I found you can leave off the heavy aluminum heat sink and use them with up to 250 watt motors. Without the heat sinks they weigh just a couple of grams more than a 30 amp Plush Trunigy. So if you want to go to bigger motors later you can add the heat sinks and go upto 900 watt motors.

ESC 50A opto, http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=

Larry
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:12 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by presa1200 View Post
so you mean there no way to back up the original firmware ? I thought you can read from the ATMEL chip
No, it is locked and will give you junk when you try to read it (or at least in 99.9% of the cases). I've seen one report of someone successfully reading a Mystery 20A
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Oct 2012
224 Posts
hello simonk

I'm still waiting...........change brake mode

please help me ,thanks
fantasy1988 is offline Find More Posts by fantasy1988
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,979 Posts
Hi,

Since the few posts about the Multistar 45A esc from Hobbyking, has anyone been able to determine which, if any, is the correct file to use for the above esc?

Thanks for any information

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm