HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:29 AM
Sacramento
Joined Jan 2008
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
Please try again with a current limiting power supply attached to the battery wires of the ESC. You then have to remove the 5V connection from the USBasp.

There should be no difference in calling avrdude on 8 and 8A ATmega.

Best Christian
LazyZero - Thx, that seemed to do the trick. I powered the ESC with 5v (current limited via tail light battery) and the flash was successful. I forgot to remove the 5V connection from the USBasp, but it still worked.

Why did 5V need to come from something other than the USBasp?
mnegrete is offline Find More Posts by mnegrete
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:20 AM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmamaf View Post
@SimonK and Lazy Zero
In github :
In tgy.asm :

When using KKMulticopterFlashTool, the last nibble of the hfuse is set to 'a' when bootloader is enable. Is there a way to clear EEPROM, to use default values of the firmware, when flashing with PWM (USB Linker) ?
Is it possible to upload a code to clear the EEPROM and then upload ESC firmware ?

Thanks,
i can do that, it's not just setting it to "a". the first bit of the last nibble has to be 1 and then it will not save the settings(0 is enable eesave)

i can make that some time this weekend. it will set the fuse, flash the rom, then set the fuse back to 0. this should clear the EEPROM
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:33 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Cremona
Joined Mar 2007
43 Posts
RC-Timer SK-40A SimonK Firmware issue

SK-40A SimonK fw bought on november, out of six of them, i can't get to calibrate any. Even extending throttle to 110%, directly connected to RX. So weird. There is some way to fix that, without uninstalling them for flashing again?
simone76 is offline Find More Posts by simone76
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:32 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Had the same ones, with firmware the throttle calibration is not possible. I think they used an older version of the firmware. You will have to flash them yourself.

manu

Quote:
Originally Posted by simone76 View Post
SK-40A SimonK fw bought on november, out of six of them, i can't get to calibrate any. Even extending throttle to 110%, directly connected to RX. So weird. There is some way to fix that, without uninstalling them for flashing again?
alll is online now Find More Posts by alll
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:23 PM
Italy, Lombardy, Cremona
Joined Mar 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Had the same ones, with firmware the throttle calibration is not possible. I think they used an older version of the firmware. You will have to flash them yourself.
ty, well at least there is a solution. Can i use the USB linker with that old firmware without calibration feature? or the bootloader isn't enabled... it would be annoying to take the ESCs off the frame now.

simone76 is offline Find More Posts by simone76
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:15 PM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
Joined Oct 2012
884 Posts
unfortunately you will probably have to remove them from the frame. that was before we needed bootrst/bootsz i think
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:18 PM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
Joined Oct 2012
884 Posts
when setting the fuse for this firmware do we flash the firmware first or do we set the fuses first? or should it all be done in one avrdude command
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:06 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
First flash firmware with bootloader enabled (compiled), then set fuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad007 View Post
when setting the fuse for this firmware do we flash the firmware first or do we set the fuses first? or should it all be done in one avrdude command
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:07 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Bootloader is also misssing in these batches...
Quote:
ty, well at least there is a solution. Can i use the USB linker with that old firmware without calibration feature? or the bootloader isn't enabled... it would be annoying to take the ESCs off the frame now.

Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:24 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexacop View Post
Hi Simon,
seems my Mystery ESC (40A 2-6s) looks the same from the label but they have a different layout, please see the video at 3:00, even the 3.3V regulator and the mosfet driver next to it is the same. They worked for a while but in the meantime 2 copters crashed three times with the same symptoms. And the worst experience was the burning one in my garage right after swapping the battery.
In any case I will throw them away, I have ordered HobbyWing 40Amp OPTO and will give those a try...
Thank you for all the help here ;-)
Hello! Hobbywing ones will all be Silabs, so you will have to use BLHeli if you want to flash it. Or you could just keep it stock.

Btw, I still don't understand why there was a 3.3V regulator on your Mystery boards. Nothing should be 3.3V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnegrete View Post
LazyZero - Thx, that seemed to do the trick. I powered the ESC with 5v (current limited via tail light battery) and the flash was successful. I forgot to remove the 5V connection from the USBasp, but it still worked.

Why did 5V need to come from something other than the USBasp?
The 5V from USB may not supply enough current to charge the capacitor on the ESC without first tripping overcurrent on the port.

Also, I noticed some of the USBASP connections I have are stupidly wired. Some are running ground to a pin marked "NC"! I've had to pop out this wire on the 10-to-6 to fix it (and just removed VCC while I'm at it). This means that if it worked, it was actually relying on VCC to set an offset from ground, and the I/O pins to pull away from it. The chip would be unpowered until the moment the programming tries to start. I'm not sure if this is some intentional hack to help with the 3.3V signalling required for USB, but it's extremely ghetto.

Those of you having flashing problems where the target doesn't answer, maybe check that ground is actually grounded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Okto View Post
the escs stop working after 30 seconds it just restarts... what to do?
It works fine, then just restarts for no reason? Is it heating up or anything? Are there any different beeps when it restarts? They seem to work fine for me...
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:35 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
I really don't know what happened here. At first it used to work, and then somehow they started flashing a version with broken calibration (even though I don't see how, it works when I flash it). I sent them the latest version, so newer ones should be OK. Meanwhile, you can check to see if you can access the boot loader by using a wire to jumper between the servo pins (assuming a BEC is present).

Connect +5V (red wire) to the PWM input pin (white wire) and power up the ESC. If you hear beeps, the boot loader fuses are not set. If there are no beeps, then you are in the boot loader, and the linker should work. You should hear beeps once you remove the jumper _or_ once you drain the PWM input pin to ground (black wire).

After the start-up beeps, connect again PWM to +5V, wait 2 seconds, then connect PWM to ground. If you hear the ESC reset (start-up beeps again), version 2012-09-30 or newer is flashed ("boot loader any time"). This works regardless of the fuse settings, but if you flash wii-esc or half-flash/erase the software, you may not be able to access the boot loader again without restoring it via ISP. If this or the first test don't produce any difference, then an older version is flashed and the boot loader fuses are not set. You must use ISP to update/fix it. :/

Btw, "chip erase" via the boot loader clears the EEPROM (for those who asked before).
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:36 AM
France, IdF, Neuilly-sur-Seine
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Default firmware values with USB Linker

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad007 View Post
i can make that some time this weekend. it will set the fuse, flash the rom, then set the fuse back to 0. this should clear the EEPROM
Thanks for your reply quad007, are you sure fuse can be changed through PMW signal (USB linker) ?
Oups, it seems, I post this question, a minute after Simonk's reply
airmamaf is offline Find More Posts by airmamaf
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:37 AM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
Joined Oct 2012
884 Posts
updated the tool at:

http://realfpv.com/escfirmware/bin.zip

It now sets the correct lfuse based on your ESC selection. if you do not have ext OSC it sets CKOPT to 1, lfuse to 0010 0100

if it has ext OSC it sets lfuse to 0011 1111 and CKOPT to 0

then it makes sure hfuse ends in 010

steps to flash:
select programmer(usbasp or avrisp is most common)
select ESC
Click "build std. firmwares" once if you want to freshly build the firmwares
click "Flash!"

Then click UNLOCK BOOTLOADER

you are done
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
9 Posts
Hi All!
Please help me. What .hex file i must use to flash "Maytech 45A-OPTO with NO BEC"?
Thank you.
plusultra is offline Find More Posts by plusultra
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:49 AM
Colorado
Joined Oct 2008
425 Posts
I have a quick question, what is bootloader exactly? I flashed 6 turnigy plushes that had atmel chips and didnt enable it.

Should I go back and reflash them with it enabled? Is there anything differant you have to do for the flashing process?
chessmaster is offline Find More Posts by chessmaster
Last edited by chessmaster; Jan 09, 2013 at 09:08 AM.