SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:49 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
...I'm not aware of them shipping anything other than the 2012-06-10 release...the measured pulse length needs to be >= 1460s, and the power must be connected to the ESC cleanly so that it gives the three rising beeps instead of the medium-low two beep sequence...
I'm using an AR6210, with a DX6i, which should work. Like I said, I've tried maxing out my travel adjust and trims.

I'm using a distribution board with clean solder joints. I do get the rising 3 beeps on powerup followed by a single beep. When I try throttle calibration (throttle at high) I get 3 rising beeps and no further beeps. When I then drop throttle to zero I get a single beep.

Maybe RCTimer sent me old ESCs. They're not being very helpful via email, needless to say.
mageus is offline Find More Posts by mageus
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:50 AM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer View Post
Need advice I'm using 20A RCT ESC's I've got the USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL proccessors my question should I get the Atmel Atmega Socket Firmware Flashing Tool to flash my ESC's? is it as easy as attaching the flashing tool to the chip it self or do you have to create a "thingamagig" to attach it to the row of pins?
Yes, it's just a question of having access to the Atmega chip. I've got a little window cut in the shrink-wrap of my F30As and F40As and just put some sticky tape over it - I can reflash ESC's while they're in the multicopter frame
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Got it! Thanks.
Guess : ebay-hk , no brand nothing...

Quote:
The correct pin to phase should be a lower resistance. Are you not able to see this? If it's working, we should add the board .inc file to the tgy tree. But what should we call it?
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Oct 2012
115 Posts
hello simonk
esc brushless have file hex bs_nfet ,atmega8 use crystal 16 mhz
you can help me file hex bs_nfet use the internal frequency of atmega 8? do not use crystal
because i want design esc 4in1 for multiroto,I want to compact
thank you
future88 is offline Find More Posts by future88
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:55 AM
Israel
Joined Dec 2006
61 Posts
Hi
I have a HK F-30A blue series ESC, I've downloaded the KKMultikopter Flash tool 0.7 and I want to flash the wii-esc firmware, in the wii-esc.zip there are several folders, as far as I guess I need to choose the bs_nfet.hex file in the kk flash tool and under the "controller" option - Atmega 8 based ESC 8kb flash, by the way, i have an AVR ISP MKII programmer.
am I doing it right ?
master_bebe is offline Find More Posts by master_bebe
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
Try increasing your throttle trim up and or down before doing the throttle calibration... I had something simlar in the past and that seemed to fix it.

Also try calibrating them with a different radio to see if it's really the esc that is causing the issue or the endpoints of that radio.
Tried already with trim up (it doesn't seem to reognize the up trim signal correctly and therefore I don't hear the beep).

I don't think it is the radio as two of my flashed ones calibrate without problem even if I reflash them and do it again and again. Nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
Do they work without calibrating the throttle? Or do you have special requirements that prevent testing before calibration?

If they do at least work then maybe you can adjust the timing values in the source for calibration detection.
They are the A30 Blue Series from Hobbyking - reported to work, flashed with the BS-Nfet firware and two of them are working correctly. They don't arm without calibration. That means if I put throttle down to -100%, only two of my ESCs are arming, the other two are without reaction.

Do you think that there is some variance between the 4 ESCs that I bought in terms of calibration detection? I would be fine to lower the calibration level 10% in order to get it triggered. What do you guys think - worth a try or are they dead after flashing?

(I mean I can reflash them without problem - at least AVR programmer says all okay, no errors detected...)
magic21nrw is offline Find More Posts by magic21nrw
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by master_bebe View Post
Hi
I have a HK F-30A blue series ESC, I've downloaded the KKMultikopter Flash tool 0.7 and I want to flash the wii-esc firmware, in the wii-esc.zip there are several folders, as far as I guess I need to choose the bs_nfet.hex file in the kk flash tool and under the "controller" option - Atmega 8 based ESC 8kb flash, by the way, i have an AVR ISP MKII programmer.
am I doing it right ?
Have the same ESC, correct firmware. You might take Atmega 8 based ESC with bootloader in order to access the ESC with the turnigy ESC tool if you want.

To be on the sure side, I recommend to check the firmware for your ESC on the wiki, there is an excel list with pictures for each esc and correct firmware next to it.
The blue series A30 is also on as reference.
magic21nrw is offline Find More Posts by magic21nrw
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:02 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Trying to calibrate 4 RCT 30A SimmonK flashed ESC's on the KK2 board. Based on the ESC calibration video your supposed to put throttle all the way up. Turn on radio press button 1 & 4 simutaneously then plug in battery. You should hear 1 beep then move throttle all the way down then your supposed to hear two beeps which mean ESC have been calibrated. I never hear the one or the two beeps? Anyone know if there is a diffrent process for calibrating these?

Thanks inadvance!
Fidy$Trainer is online now Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:10 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by future88 View Post
hello simonk
esc brushless have file hex bs_nfet ,atmega8 use crystal 16 mhz
you can help me file hex bs_nfet use the internal frequency of atmega 8? do not use crystal
because i want design esc 4in1 for multiroto,I want to compact
thank you
It will just work if you run it without a crystal. It sets OSCCAL to 0xff which is almost 16MHz. If you have an 8MHz crystal, or want to run it at 8MHz anyway, you can change F_CPU in bs_nfet.inc to 8000000. You are better off using an external oscillator, though, or it will drift a lot with temperature.

Quote:
Trying to calibrate 4 RCT 30A SimmonK flashed ESC's on the KK2 board. Based on the ESC calibration video your supposed to put throttle all the way up. Turn on radio press button 1 & 4 simutaneously then plug in battery. You should hear 1 beep then move throttle all the way down then your supposed to hear two beeps which mean ESC have been calibrated. I never hear the one or the two beeps? Anyone know if there is a diffrent process for calibrating these?
No, that should work. Do you hear the beeps if you try from your radio directly or with a servo tester?
simonk is online now Find More Posts by simonk
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
115 Posts
Quote:
It will just work if you run it without a crystal. It sets OSCCAL to 0xff which is almost 16MHz. If you have an 8MHz crystal, or want to run it at 8MHz anyway, you can change F_CPU in bs_nfet.inc to 8000000. You are better off using an external oscillator, though, or it will drift a lot with temperature.

esc brushless towerpro 30,or 40 A ,it does not use crystal . 16MHZ
it works well, and not drift with temperature. but it use driver ir2103,
i can not design the circuit 4IN1 with ir 2103, can not be designed with two layers

I only know load the hex file for ATmega8, I do not know about the program, or software for avr

Maybe I have accepted file bs_nfet 16MHz crystal that does not do anything else to be able to using internal frequency atmega

Sad and disappointed
future88 is offline Find More Posts by future88
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:36 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by master_bebe View Post
Hi
am I doing it right ?
You can select WiiESC as board. If you like to upgrade later by Turnigy UsbLinker you have to choose the +bootloader board. And important flash SimonK firmware first. Then you can upload the WiiESC firmware.

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:43 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mageus View Post
I do get the rising 3 beeps on powerup followed by a single beep. When I try throttle calibration (throttle at high) I get 3 rising beeps and no further beeps. When I then drop throttle to zero I get a single beep.
Quote:
Trying to calibrate 4 RCT 30A SimmonK flashed ESC's on the KK2 board...I never hear the one or the two beeps? Anyone know if there is a diffrent process for calibrating these?
Can either of you (or anybody else with the same problem) try to read the program off of the ESC to see which they flashed? You can, at the same time, upgrade it to the latest release. I'd just like to see which program you received, since it does not make any sense that calibration would not work.

You will probably have to use another program or avrdude directly to read it. With a usbasp adapter, I use this command:

avrdude -c usbasp -u -p m8 -U flash:r:flash.hex:i -U eeprom:r:eeprom.hex:i

Quote:
Originally Posted by future88 View Post
esc brushless towerpro 30,or 40 A ,it does not use crystal . 16MHZ
it works well, and not drift with temperature.
Maybe I have accepted file bs_nfet 16MHz crystal that does not do anything else to be able to using internal frequency atmega
If I take an F-30A flashed with bs_nfet.hex, for example, and just change the fuses to use the internal oscillator, it continues to work just fine. The internal oscillator is usually a little slow (running just over 15MHz), but it is still within a range that can be calibrated. This is not the case with the stock firmware but it works with my code because of the OSCCAL setting.

There is still a significant amount of drift. See the ATmega8 datasheet figure 170 (page 268). In short, the oscillator slows down from about 8MHz at 25C (5V Vcc) to about 7.7MHz at 85C. That means that a PWM input of what was 50% throttle at 1500s will start to look like a pulse that is only 1443s long, or 44.375% throttle if calibrated to a 1000-2000s range. This is the downside of using the ATmega8 without an external oscillator.
simonk is online now Find More Posts by simonk
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Nov 2012
127 Posts
I found the circuit design esc 4in1, 75A by Vietnamese.
it looks pretty neat and stable,

This 4in1 use code hex of simonk . and I guess they use file hex bs_fet.
How do you think, simonk?

esc x8 (0 min 47 sec)
rc my life is offline Find More Posts by rc my life
Last edited by rc my life; Dec 07, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:28 AM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,464 Posts
Where can I find the latest .tgy hex file?
Thanks,
Neal
Nobert is offline Find More Posts by Nobert
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:53 AM
Germany, NDS, Gifhorn
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
You get it here.
georok is offline Find More Posts by georok