HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:24 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
usb linker - Arduino USB linker

Hi,

I try to make the Arduino USB linker to work without success (my Turnigy USB Linker stopped working, pc doesn't detect it anymore?...)

What am i missing here?
https://github.com/c---/ArduinoUSBLinker

Are there other alternatives?

manu
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
@SimonK

Hello,

I have a little question about throttle configuration after flashing 4 of my Hobbyking Blue Series A30 with the appropriate BS-Nfet.hex.

AVR programmer reported no errors on read and write of all my 4 ESCs. After successfully programming them, they all beeped. So far everything looks normal.

I put the first two esc's on my remote receiver and calibrated them perfectly. Just two of them won't enter into calibrate mode. I can reflash them without problems but giving full throttle they don't react. No beep.

Question: Could it be possible that they are somehow not accepting the new firmware but two of them did?

Question 2: Stupid as I was, I haven't saved the original firmware of the Hobbyking Blueseries A30. Does anyone have the original one on file for me that I could revert them back to the old state and check if throttle calibration works with that firmware?
So I could at least check if I somehow fried my ESC's...

Any thoughts what could help to get the two escs throttle calibrated?
magic21nrw is offline Find More Posts by magic21nrw
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:26 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
I try to make the Arduino USB linker to work without success (my Turnigy USB Linker stopped working, pc doesn't detect it anymore?...)

What am i missing here?

I'm happy to help. What is the problem exactly? What hardware and software are you using?
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:59 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Software:
http://avr8-burn-o-mat.aaabbb.de/avr...de_gui_en.html
Hardware: Arduino Duemilanove

I was used to do it with the turnigy usb linker without a problem, but this one stopped from working , hk out of stock, so i tried your Arduino linker.

Uploaded the .ino, set the correct baud in avr8_burn_o_mat STK500v2, make the connection, rx signal to arduino D2 + rx ground to arduino gnd, power the esc via power cables (regulated power supply).
When i try, i have averdude timeouts.

Thanks,
manu

Quote:
Hi,

What am i missing here?

manu
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
I'm happy to help. What is the problem exactly? What hardware and software are you using?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:16 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Software:
http://avr8-burn-o-mat.aaabbb.de/avr...de_gui_en.html
Hardware: Arduino Duemilanove

I was used to do it with the turnigy usb linker without a problem, but this one stopped from working , hk out of stock, so i tried your Arduino linker.

Uploaded the .ino, set the correct baud in avr8_burn_o_mat STK500v2, make the connection, rx signal to arduino D2 + rx ground to arduino gnd, power the esc via power cables (regulated power supply).
When i try, i have averdude timeouts.
I assume you are using version 0.8 of the ArduinoUSBLinker?

Also do you know what version of the simonk bootloader you are using? I think only the most recent versions can enter the bootloader at any time, the old one may need to be powered on only after the Arduino is running.

Is your Duemilanove ATmega168 powered or 328? It should not matter but although I recently made changes for the smaller atmega, I have not tested them.

Can you post the log output from AVR8 Burn-O-Mat? I'm interesting in seeing the avrdude command it tries to run and any other output.

One thing you can do to make sure the ArduinoUSBLinker is working is open a serial console and try sending a command to it. The Arduino IDE is good for this, just open the Serial Monitor at 19200 baud then type the command
Code:
$M<
and see if it responds with the current settings (post the output here if you can). Maybe try 115200, 57600, or 9600 baud if 19200 doesn't work.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:21 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Hi,

I have this "tgy.inc" like 10A esc.

All P and N Fets match the tgy.inc layout. What is different is the common comp. and the muxABC.
Now, i didn't found a inc layout where PD7/AIN1 is used for the mux_c
I see
Code:
;*********************
; PORT C definitions *
;*********************
.MACRO set_comp_phase_a
    ldi    @0, mux_a    ; set comparator multiplexer to phase A
    out    ADMUX, @0
    cbi    ADCSRA, ADEN    ; disable ADC
.ENDMACRO
.MACRO set_comp_phase_b
    ldi    @0, mux_b    ; set comparator multiplexer to phase B
    out    ADMUX, @0
.ENDMACRO
.MACRO set_comp_phase_c    
    sbi    ADCSRA, ADEN    ; enable ADC and comparator to phase C (AIN1)
.ENDMACRO
I think i should need something like this added, no?:
Code:
.MACRO set_comp_phase_c
    ldi    @0, mux_c    ; set comparator multiplexer to phase C
    out    ADMUX, @0
.ENDMACRO
Pin layout:

PC2:mux_a
PC3:mux_b
PD7:mux_c

PD6:common comp

PB-2,0,1:NFET-A,B,C
PB-5,4,3:PFET-A,B,C

PD2:Rx

How can i find the order mapping for mux?

Motor beeps, but can't start (stutter only )
Last edited by alll; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:55 AM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Yes, ver 0.8, SimonK tgy_2012-06-01_07c3957, arduino-328

$M< response with:
P18:B32:R19200:PINS:B0:C816:

When i start reading, i hear motor beep:
C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude.exe -u -C C:\WinAVR-20100110\bin\avrdude.conf -p m8 -P com6 -c stk500v2 -D -b 19200 -F -U hfuse:r:C:\DOCUME~1\manu\LOCALS~1\Temp\hfuse430792 2232615526845.hex:r -U lfuse:r:C:\DOCUME~1\manu\LOCALS~1\Temp\lfuse373107 0551223928024.hex:r
avrdude.exe: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude.exe: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude.exe: ser_recv(): read error: L'opération d'entrée/sortie a été abandonnée en raison de l'arrêt d'une thread ou à la demande d'une application.

Quote:
I assume you are using version 0.8 of the ArduinoUSBLinker?

Also do you know what version of the simonk bootloader you are using? I think only the most recent versions can enter the bootloader at any time, the old one may need to be powered on only after the Arduino is running.

Is your Duemilanove ATmega168 powered or 328? It should not matter but although I recently made changes for the smaller atmega, I have not tested them.

Can you post the log output from AVR8 Burn-O-Mat? I'm interesting in seeing the avrdude command it tries to run and any other output.

One thing you can do to make sure the ArduinoUSBLinker is working is open a serial console and try sending a command to it. The Arduino IDE is good for this, just open the Serial Monitor at 19200 baud then type the command
Code:
$M<
and see if it responds with the current settings (post the output here if you can). Maybe try 115200, 57600, or 9600 baud if 19200 doesn't work.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
When i start reading, i hear motor beep:
Usually when I get a beep from the motor like that it's because the ESC was not in the bootloader or it's getting a communication error. Often I can just try again and it works, sometimes I have to reset and try again. It should not beep though, that means there is definitely some sort of communication error between the Arduino and the ESC. Are you powering on the ESC after the Arduino is powered up?

However, it could be the ESC. What type of ESC is this and does it use an external oscillator?

You can try slowing the ArduinoUSBLinker down to the normal Turnigy USB Linker speed. Open Serial Monitor and type:
Code:
$M<B136
Then save the settings with:
Code:
$M<W
. Make sure the Arduino confirms each step in its output.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:45 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Got it working with this adapted tgy.inc file

How to find out the mux phase mapping?

Thanks
manu

Pin layout:
PC2:mux_a
PC3:mux_b
PD7:mux_c
PD6:common comp
PB-2,0,1:NFET-A,B,C
PB-5,4,3:PFET-A,B,C
PD2:Rx

thanks,
manu
Quote:
Hi,

10A esc.
Last edited by alll; Dec 01, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:10 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Tried all these, but still not lucky.

I use the esc i am talking about in previous post.

Everytime i start communication, the esc resets, but the get the timeouts

manu
Quote:
Usually when I get a beep from the motor like that it's because the ESC was not in the bootloader or it's getting a communication error. Often I can just try again and it works, sometimes I have to reset and try again. It should not beep though, that means there is definitely some sort of communication error between the Arduino and the ESC. Are you powering on the ESC after the Arduino is powered up?

However, it could be the ESC. What type of ESC is this and does it use an external oscillator?

You can try slowing the ArduinoUSBLinker down to the normal Turnigy USB Linker speed. Open Serial Monitor and type:
Code:
$M<B136
Then save the settings with:
Code:
$M<W
. Make sure the Arduino confirms each step in its output.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Tried all these, but still not lucky.

I use the esc i am talking about in previous post.

Everytime i start communication, the esc resets, but the get the timeouts
Looks like it may not have an external oscillator. I imagine that affects the timing somewhat and I don't have an ESC without an external oscillator to test with. I will have to think about this and look over the code.

I assume the Turnigy USB Linker did work with this ESC at some point?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:33 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Yes, no osc, and yes it worked before on the tgy usb linker.

manu

Quote:
Looks like it may not have an external oscillator. I imagine that affects the timing somewhat and I don't have an ESC without an external oscillator to test with. I will have to think about this and look over the code.

I assume the Turnigy USB Linker did work with this ESC at some point?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:06 PM
KG7MNT
United States, WY, Cheyenne
Joined Jun 2008
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic21nrw View Post
@SimonK

Hello,

I have a little question about throttle configuration after flashing 4 of my Hobbyking Blue Series A30 with the appropriate BS-Nfet.hex.

AVR programmer reported no errors on read and write of all my 4 ESCs. After successfully programming them, they all beeped. So far everything looks normal.

I put the first two esc's on my remote receiver and calibrated them perfectly. Just two of them won't enter into calibrate mode. I can reflash them without problems but giving full throttle they don't react. No beep.

Question: Could it be possible that they are somehow not accepting the new firmware but two of them did?

Question 2: Stupid as I was, I haven't saved the original firmware of the Hobbyking Blueseries A30. Does anyone have the original one on file for me that I could revert them back to the old state and check if throttle calibration works with that firmware?

Any thoughts what could help to get the two escs throttle calibrated?
I would be interested in an answer to his question also as I had the very same thing happen to me. Two our eight HK F-20 esc's exibited the same behavior...flashed perfectly but would not calibrate.
Phasor is offline Find More Posts by Phasor
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:19 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaakku View Post
See attached Hobbyking Multistar 45A pictures.
Dissapointed that it is totally different from 30A version, where the pads are available.
The line of connectors on top connects 2 board to each other - "CPU board" to "FET" board. Can those connections be used for flashing?
The easiest way to find pads is to use a continuity tester between the MOSI, MISO, SCK, and RST pins (see first post) and poke around until you find them going somewhere. It doesn't look like there are any on that one, though. It is probably easier to use the socket tool or 4 nano-clips and a ground connection.

Quote:

Listen to the start-up beeps. The stock firmware takes a long time to beep and sounds very different. The only thing I can think of with calibration not working is that the ESC has powered up with the brown-out flag set (eg: maybe a bit of a jump during connection and the voltage fell down but not all the way to 0V, then back on again). You will hear two descending beeps in this case, and calibration mode will be disabled. You need to be sure that the ESC makes three ascending beeps (or more) for calibration to work.

Quote:
You didn't fry them. The stock firmware is almost always locked, but you can download firmware for the F-20A and F-30A from this post.

Quote:
Got it working with this adapted tgy.inc file

How to find out the mux phase mapping?
Hi, Manu! What do you mean mux phase mapping? As long as you call the "a" FETs the same as you call the "a" mux and similar for "b" and "c", it should work. Is it working for you now or still stuttering?
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:56 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
@simon

can you take a look at this?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6512

also.. i didn't figure out how to disable stick calibration. any advise ?
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933