Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:38 AM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
D'oh. I had actually emailed them about this before I placed an order, but did not get a reply. I will try again. It's probably time to work on the silabs code sooner than later. I also ordered a few small ones from HobbyKing and will see if any of those are still AVRs.
Sounds like me and ordering the Eurgle 6A esc. Picture shows atmega8. Emailed them about it but they didn't know what I meant so I ordered them anyway. Probably will have SIL like the Protons
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:38 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2008
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
D'oh. I had actually emailed them about this before I placed an order, but did not get a reply. I will try again. It's probably time to work on the silabs code sooner than later. I also ordered a few small ones from HobbyKing and will see if any of those are still AVRs.
Or move to a STM32 based design, ohh I forgot that someone in the OpenPilot community think they have all IP on that solution And I know the Chines ESC is inexspenive/cheap. Good work Simon.

Magnus
HAM2 is offline Find More Posts by HAM2
Last edited by HAM2; Dec 09, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:31 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,634 Posts
The flashing worked out fairly well and I would like to thank everyone who made it possible
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Dec 09, 2011, 09:42 PM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM2 View Post
Or move to a STM32 based design, ohh I forgot that someone in the OpenPilot community think they have all IP on that solution And I know the Chines ESC is inexspenive/cheap. Good work Simon.

Magnus
I actually LOL when I read your message
But yeah, the firmware for silabs based esc would be nice.
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:01 PM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alll View Post
Hi,
Some feedback on the Turnigy Plush 10A.
Compiled the hex with
Code:
.include "tgy.inc"        ; TowerPro/Turnigy Basic/Plush "type 2" (INT0 PPM)
I left the fuses as it (HF:0xDF LF:0xA4).

When i power the esc, it beeps (tet,tet,tet,...,teeeeet). Then when i feed them with PWM, the motor want to start but it doesn't find the right direction to spin. So the gates are fed, but there seems to be a problem with the BEMF, determining the direction to spin.

Will wait for some feedback if other members did had success with the Turnigy Plush 10A.

manu
I've just repeated manu results.

I thought it can't be, let me try the latest version on my Plush 10A - nope, same story, it plays four tones at the beginning, meaning it's alive, but cannot start the motor shaking it furiously in both directions as soon as I increase the throttle.

Recompiled again with the latest source, tried precompiled from tgy_2011-11-10_d3567e61.zip (date on tgy.hex 11/14/2011, size 5672b), played with the fuses (factory a4 df, recommended 24 d7, then a4 d7, then 84 d9 that was in the first post) - same result.

As soon as I put back tgy.hex from 09/06/2011 - ti-di-da-da and everything is smoothly running.

Although latest source works fine for me with BlueSeries 12A even without changing any fuses.
Looks like those HK 12A BlueSeries are the most economical right now at $7.39 - relatively small, light, burst up to 16A, removable heatsink, looks like a good fit for 330X size quads and other small aircrafts.
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:08 PM
Carbon Flyer
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Oct 2010
246 Posts
Guys, can I have a moment. I love this thread and the work done, but because of important family resposibilities at this time I can not do any more work on my Arducopter, such as re-programming the ESC's. I could not find a good link or person that may be selling ESC's with this firmware. I may not have the time but I do have a little money I can spend on improved the ESC for my ArduCopter.

Can anyone make a suggestion or is this not possible yet?
Techcoder is offline Find More Posts by Techcoder
Old Dec 09, 2011, 10:15 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
http://www.quadroufo.com/product_inf...products_id=37
sells esc which you can request to be flashed with this firmware at the time of order, for no cost. He keeps the original shrinkwrap, simply making a cut around the programming pads, so the esc remains nicely wrapped. It is a good deal for U.S. buyers and the free reflash service is certainly nice.
(it seems they're having some website issues right now, but once it's back up you can see.)
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:27 PM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Error report

Hi Simon

Seems to be a problem with the new m8def.inc file. With an AVRstudio build I get:

Error 1
syntax error,
unexpected '<'
...\avrassembler\include\m8def.inc
line 4
column 0

I'll try the older file and report back.

Cheers.
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
dont use included m8def and just remove a line including it from tgy.hex.
astudio5 includes its local copy on command line.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:44 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Sorry reported error in wrong file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\AVR Studio 5.0\avrassembler\include\bs_nfet.inc(4,0): syntax error, unexpected '<'
Old Dec 09, 2011, 11:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
... How did you get the files?

Did you click 'zip' at top of github or did you download file one by one?

bs_nfet looks like this:
Code:
;***************************************************************
;* For HK Blue Series with only n-Channel FETs                 *
;* Fuses should be set to -U lfuse:w:0x3f:m -U hfuse:w:0xd7:m  *
;* or similar (even intrc will work now)                       *
;* 09/2011                                                     *
;* https://github.com/sim-/tgy                                 *

;*********************
; PORT D definitions *
etc
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:18 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
... How did you get the files?

Did you click 'zip' at top of github or did you download file one by one?

bs_nfet looks like this:
Code:
;* For HK Blue Series with only n-Channel FETs                 *
;* Fuses should be set to -U lfuse:w:0x3f:m -U hfuse:w:0xd7:m  *
;* or similar (even intrc will work now)                       *
;* 09/2011                                                     *
;* https://github.com/sim-/tgy                                 *

;*********************
; PORT D definitions *
etc
Right-clicked and save-as to my AS5 "include" folder, one by one.

As a test I did a build with bs.inc this worked fine. Actually I think the original file I posted as problematic (m8def.inc) has the same problem as well (I changed to a m8def.inc file I downloaded). I confused myself as the way AS5 reports errors is a little strange. Seems like there is some AVRstudio syntax problem with the newer files Simon has posted.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:21 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2po View Post
Recompiled again with the latest source, tried precompiled from tgy_2011-11-10_d3567e61.zip (date on tgy.hex 11/14/2011, size 5672b), played with the fuses (factory a4 df, recommended 24 d7, then a4 d7, then 84 d9 that was in the first post) - same result.

As soon as I put back tgy.hex from 09/06/2011 - ti-di-da-da and everything is smoothly running.
Yeah, it's weird! If you're feeling helpful, it would be great if you could track down which commit introduced the issue, especially as it sounds like the RCTimer 10A I ordered for figuring it out will arrive as a silabs. I explained how to download any revision earlier by going through github history and replacing the "master" in the zip-ball download URL with the git hash.

The only thing that really messes with anything is the part when I switched to 16MHz via OSCCAL, which was commit ae2499a. Maybe you could try the before and after?

Before: https://github.com/sim-/tgy/zipball/...d81e061925552e

After: https://github.com/sim-/tgy/zipball/...5d15e90281f59d

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2po View Post
Looks like those HK 12A BlueSeries are the most economical right now at $7.39 - relatively small, light, burst up to 16A, removable heatsink, looks like a good fit for 330X size quads and other small aircrafts.
Yeah, I've been pretty happy with the 30A I purchased a while ago, except that I just caused a nice FET fire by touching the board (turning on a gate) while I was testing it with a 4S lipo. Oops.

Cheers
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:23 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2 View Post
Hi! Just use the zip-ball link: https://github.com/sim-/tgy/zipball/master
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:26 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2 View Post

As a test I did a build with bs.inc this worked fine. Actually I think the original file I posted as problematic (m8def.inc) has the same problem as well (I changed to a m8def.inc file I downloaded). I confused myself as the way AS5 reports errors is a little strange. Seems like there is some AVRstudio syntax problem with the newer files Simon has posted.
Ok tried the files in the from the zip button.
All good now!

Now to flash my BS 12Amp (its all n-channel by the way - 4856A FETS).