SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:53 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
alternatively I can just use Atmel Studio but I don't know the settings to enable the bootloader and searching this forum... well... yeah... still looking with no luck for the settings.

Steve
Just tick the bootrst box and choose the 512 byte option.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:38 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariY View Post
Next i'm going to flash these mystery 40A:s, it's same as Blueseries 40A right? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9482

Is right file BS40A, BS-NFET, BS, or something else?
Mystery 40A is not the same as BlueSeries 40A. There is a special BlueSeries 40A, for some reason. You will have to check your particular boards. This one is bs.hex, which might help if yours is exactly the same. Btw, I've started a guide for identifying ESC pin configuration. I'll probably rework it a bit since it probably needs some examples and a few more details, but it's a start.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Sep 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Btw, I've started a guide for identifying ESC pin configuration. I'll probably rework it a bit since it probably needs some examples and a few more details, but it's a start.
That was a very informative read, Thanks!
Greebo is offline Find More Posts by Greebo
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Jan 2012
397 Posts
Need Some Advice on Throttle Surging

Hi everyone. I have eight DYS 30amp escs. Probably flashed over one years ago. I have calibrated the throttle,(maybe need to do again), but when flying with eight rctimer 2836 880kv motors. the craft flies, then it seems like the throttle, by itself, moves from high to low, low to high. Is this a timing issue, or something else. The surging up and down is equal among all eight motors.

2. I recently purchased 8 rctimer 30amp escs for another build. They are supposed to be flashed. Should I update the firmware to latest.

Thanks rkenosha
rkenosha is offline Find More Posts by rkenosha
Last edited by rkenosha; Nov 09, 2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Added info
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:37 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Mystery 40A is not the same as BlueSeries 40A. There is a special BlueSeries 40A, for some reason. You will have to check your particular boards. This one is bs.hex, which might help if yours is exactly the same. Btw, I've started a guide for identifying ESC pin configuration. I'll probably rework it a bit since it probably needs some examples and a few more details, but it's a start.
Thanks a lot Simon! I'll check when i have them here. But are all mystery 40A:s with ext oscillator and all N-fets? That identifying site is a very good idea and very helpful.

Kari
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:40 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
1,002 Posts
HI guys

so I have tried and tried again to get the white hobbyking flashing adaptor to work with the Usbasp from HK also.. see below for picture of the screen that comes up on the KK flashing tool when I attempt to flash both HK 20A version and blueseries 40Amp ESC's. please can someone help me I am lost after a few hours, I have tried on windows machines and my Mac. neither work......

thanks
jetbootz is online now Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:45 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,002 Posts
so I just found in the FAQ section of the KK flashing tool page :

SCK message during flashing
avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 93750 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
This is not a problem at all. You can ignor this.

does this mean the ESCS have actually flashed OK >? I am lost
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Sep 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbootz View Post
so I just found in the FAQ section of the KK flashing tool page :

SCK message during flashing
avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 93750 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
This is not a problem at all. You can ignor this.

does this mean the ESCS have actually flashed OK >? I am lost
Pretty sure (but its very difficult to read your upside down screen shot)... that the error you got was below that... "Target does not answer".. which means it most certainly did not flash. You most likely are not getting a good (or the right) connections. When you say the white hobbyking adapter, do you mean the one you press onto the chip to make the connections? Are you sure you have it in the right orientation and it is making good connections with the pins on the chip?
Greebo is offline Find More Posts by Greebo
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,002 Posts
yeah not sure why my screen shot ( iphone photo ) uploaded upside down..

anyway , yeah im sure its got good connection, I am lining up the white HK press tool thing onto the Atmel chip using the red mark ( circle on the tool ) lining up with the black circle on the chip.. this seems to be the correct way round.. looking at the chip diagram at the start of the thread and the pins identifications.

anyway Im pretty stumped. I have tried taking the jumper off the USBASP as well but as far as I can tell this ( when jumper is on ) gives 5V to the target so I need this connected I believe. should I have power to the ESC also ? ie 3 S batttery power ?

thanks
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:25 AM
Austria, O, Aschach an der Steyr
Joined Jun 2011
15 Posts
Today I flashed two

Aeolian Evolution 60A and two
Turnigy Plush 60A Esc.

The Plush ESC is the same as the Aeolian ESC. There is no differnce but the price.

The Aeolian cost 20 USD and the Plush cost about 38 USD.

So I flashed both with the tp_nfet.hex file. And the are all running very fine.

Thank you Simon.
Jonny_sch is offline Find More Posts by Jonny_sch
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Jan 2010
1,002 Posts
so I abandoned the HK white flashing tool, thinking the connections were off or not lined up or faulty internally etc..

I tried using the digikey clips I ordered ages ago , wired them up and the same exact message occurs.. its the same message as when I click the flash button without even connecting to the atmega chip.. I know the digikey clips were on properly so does anyone have any ideas ? I have 2 x the USBASP's as well and both are doing the same thing.. I dont think they are faulty .. really stumped now !
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:00 PM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,543 Posts
Serious equipment! ;-)
But... simple question - do you have motor attached to ESC when flashing? And how you power it? Attach some battery (better use limited power supply or just add lamp) and try. While my USBASP powers target correctly, IIRC some ppl told that it does not work correctly when ESC is not powered externally...
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:26 PM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,569 Posts
Quote:
HI guys

so I have tried and tried again to get the white hobbyking flashing adaptor to work with the Usbasp from HK also.. see below for picture of the screen that comes up on the KK flashing tool when I attempt to flash both HK 20A version and blueseries 40Amp ESC's. please can someone help me I am lost after a few hours, I have tried on windows machines and my Mac. neither work......

thanks
I only had problems flashing some ESC when the ESC was not powered from a external power supply. I did also before I ran in this problem, by powering the ESC from USBasp. It works, and I only lost 3 of 100 ESC that way. Since I use a power supply I didn't loose any further ESC.

Also possible is that your HK usbasp, you can read more and more that people with this usbasp have problems flashing ESC or kk boards. After they try an other programmer everything was fine. I think there might be a problem or a faulty batch of these usbasp out there.

Have you ever flashed something else with this programmer or is it the first time you use it?

Best christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:14 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenosha View Post
Hi everyone. I have eight DYS 30amp escs. Probably flashed over one years ago. I have calibrated the throttle,(maybe need to do again), but when flying with eight rctimer 2836 880kv motors. the craft flies, then it seems like the throttle, by itself, moves from high to low, low to high. Is this a timing issue, or something else. The surging up and down is equal among all eight motors.
Chances are that an upgrade won't change this, but you can try anyway. What is likely happening is that motor vibrations are passing through the frame and flight controller, affecting the gyro inputs. If the vibration is near resonant frequencies and the motors are almost the same speed there can be interference patterns, so the effect may "come and go". If the noise is amplified to beyond the clipping points of the output, or the input/throttle curve is not perfectly linear, the effect may be more or less power during certain vibrations. Which flight board are you using, btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenosha View Post
2. I recently purchased 8 rctimer 30amp escs for another build. They are supposed to be flashed. Should I update the firmware to latest.
Actually, can you check to see which tgy.hex is actually on them? You can run something like this to read it from the ESC:

avrdude -c usbasp -v -p m8 -U flash:r:flash.hex:i -U eeprom:r:eeprom.hex:i

If they're not the latest version, you'll probably have less problems with some motors if you upgrade them to the latest version.

Quote:
thinking the connections were off or not lined up or faulty internally etc..
Yes, as has been said, you really need to power it, preferably with a current-limited power supply. See https://github.com/sim-/tgy/#installation. The fact that it sort of works sometimes is mostly luck, but it seems there is also a higher chance of bricking it this way, too.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:29 AM
Australia, SA, Renmark West
Joined Sep 2011
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post

I had timing issues with simonk firmware and my MT4008 motors so I sold them, however I beilve that recent versions of simonk have adressed this issue?

Can anyone confirm for me the following

1) anyone use simonk with these motors?

2) can anyone confirm that the new firmware adresses timing issues for motors like these?

Thanks!!!

Steve
Hi Steve, In spite of earlier casting doubt on the new FW with the MT4008 motors I've done a day of bench testing and I'm now satisfied that the motors run reliably with the new FW flashed F30As. Even with furious working of the servo tester the motors never missed a beat.

Attached is part of my test results - as you can see my new Graupner 14x8 E-Props are spectacularly better than the Chinese 13x6.5 and 14x4.7 CF props I've been using but the cheap RC Timer 3536/11 with the also cheap Gemfan 11x4.7 didn't do too badly at all. The throttling response of the flashed F30A and the RCTigermotor T40-A seem similar but the maximum power with the F-30As is well down on that available with the T40A.

I don't have an oscilloscope but I now feel comfortable that the latest SK firmware runs the MT4008/12 reliably.
RedSky is offline Find More Posts by RedSky