HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:36 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,952 Posts
hi everyone, I have some flahed esc's with firmware that was before the bootloader....

I have tested them on these motors without a prop and they did not seem to lose timing.

http://www.himodel.com/electric/HL_W..._Aircraft.html

HOWEVER in flight here is what I observe.

1) one motor does not start up and I have to spin it by hand to get it to "go"

2) the motors scream like hell (kinda like that whine we used to get with plush)

3) one motor lost timing on hard acceleration and stoppped completely (this was NOT the same motor that would not start)

I had timing issues with simonk firmware and my MT4008 motors so I sold them, however I beilve that recent versions of simonk have adressed this issue?

Can anyone confirm for me the following

1) anyone use simonk with these motors?

2) can anyone confirm that the new firmware adresses timing issues for motors like these?

Thanks!!!

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:13 AM
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
Just ordered 10X mystery 40A from hk because Blue Series 40A:s has been out of stock so long. (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9482)

They say in hk this is same as BS40A, is that right? Should i then use bs40A.hex instead of bs.hex what's mentioned in spreadsheet under Mystery 40A? I have been very happy with earlier results with bs40A.hex in BS40A:s.

Thanks for your help,

Kari
KariY is offline Find More Posts by KariY
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Which FW for Hk F30-A and MT 28-14-10 770kV motors?

Hi-

with the original SimonK FW the motor looses sync on quick transitions...

Which FW to flash now?

Will this: https://github.com/c---/ArduinoUSBLinker work instead of the Turnigy USB linker?

Further more- will the new FW also have a bootloader? It would take AGES to have direct access to the ESCs, so only the bootloader access makes sense (via PPM- in cable of the ESC)

THANKS!

Btw.: on a small quad the original SimonK FW works AWESOME....!!! (Turnigy 1811-2900 on Turnigy plush 6A ESCs, 2s (flashed with SIL programmer hack for Arduino!)
RQuad is offline Find More Posts by RQuad
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:30 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RQuad View Post
with the original SimonK FW the motor looses sync on quick transitions...

Which FW to flash now?
As far as I know the current released firmware 2012-09-30 is suppose to fix that.

Quote:
Will this: https://github.com/c---/ArduinoUSBLinker work instead of the Turnigy USB linker?
Yes, if you have an Arduino or other avr device to use. It may be used directly from MultiWii if you run that and have room in the firmware.

Quote:
Further more- will the new FW also have a bootloader?
Yes, although you should set the correct fuses to make it active at power-on. This only has to be done once. The LazyZero KKmulticopter flash tool will do this for you or look in the "boot.inc" source for information on which fuses to set if you want to do it manually. This is not absolutely necessary since the newest firmware can activate the bootloader any time but it's safer. It is only possible to set these fuses via ISP, not the servo wire, but like I said it only has to be done once.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Last edited by LittleMo; Nov 07, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:42 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Jul 2012
342 Posts
hello today, I flash a MYSTERY CLOUD-30A esc with tp.hex, and it seems to work. my question is that after calibrated throttle, the engine starts only in the middle of the joystick, the truth is that I'm a little scared place it in my rabbit.
is this normal.

Thanks.
CapBlack is offline Find More Posts by CapBlack
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
Yes, is not a problem.

Technically the only difference is the fuses it sets, the bootloader is most likely already on your ESC, just not enabled. But if you're not handy with avrdude then probably better to do the whole flash again.
However, if I do use avrdude and would like to just change the fuses, what exactly would I set to enable the bootloader?

Tim
teckel is offline Find More Posts by teckel
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckel View Post
However, if I do use avrdude and would like to just change the fuses, what exactly would I set to enable the bootloader?
Look in the "boot.inc" source from the simonk firmware. I believe searching for "fuse" leads to some comments on what to set. I wouldn't blindly follow these comments though, I can't stress enough that you must know what you are doing because one wrong fuse setting can permanently brick your ESC (or at least make it very difficult to recover). Make sure to read a save a copy of your old fuse settings.

This tool is handy for figuring out the values and what they mean: http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:32 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
hi everyone, I have some flahed esc's with firmware that was before the bootloader....

http://www.himodel.com/electric/HL_W..._Aircraft.html

HOWEVER in flight here is what I observe.

1) one motor does not start up and I have to spin it by hand to get it to "go"

2) the motors scream like hell (kinda like that whine we used to get with plush)

3) one motor lost timing on hard acceleration and stoppped completely (this was NOT the same motor that would not start)
Hi Steve! Before the boot loader.. So 2012-03-21 or older? Lots of changes have happened since then. Starting should be a lot better all around, but there are still problems on some motors (sometimes with one in a batch of motors). Once it is running, however, 2012-09-30 should be fine on all motors. I am working to see if I can do static position tracking during starting that should help.

I think juz uses my work with the MT4008, but I haven't tried it myself.

Quote:
Yes, it should work as if it were a Turnigy USB linker (but faster). This is LittleMo's work.

Quote:
Further more- will the new FW also have a bootloader?
If you don't already have it, you can't alter time-space to get it there without first flashing the SPI/ISP way. Sorry. But yes, the .hex files have the boot loader in them.

Quote:
Btw.: on a small quad the original SimonK FW works AWESOME....!!! (Turnigy 1811-2900 on Turnigy plush 6A ESCs, 2s (flashed with SIL programmer hack for Arduino!)
The SiLabs stuff is sirbow2's work, and the SIL programmer for Arduino is OlliW's work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapBlack View Post
hello today, I flash a MYSTERY CLOUD-30A esc with tp.hex, and it seems to work. my question is that after calibrated throttle, the engine starts only in the middle of the joystick, the truth is that I'm a little scared place it in my rabbit.
is this normal.
So you're saying it's not calibrating to the range you calibrated it to? Take the props off and try it with a direct radio channel or servo tester. Does it work the way you calibrated it right after you calibrate it? I need more information (like what exactly you did) to understand what the problem may be.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:08 PM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,545 Posts
Hi,

I try to flash some Robbe Roxxy 730 with tp.hex. After repowering the esc it makes the 3 beeps but not the one when a correct RC signal is connected to the ESC. When I try to run the motor it just stutter.

Any idea?
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:36 PM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Jul 2012
342 Posts
Hi, thanks for the quick response, I think was my mistake, I check the esc with an old Sanwa VG400 and Ignore the mechanical adjustment of throttle end point.
The problem was solved and I can see the range can be calibrated correctly

well this takes away the fear I try in my quad.
Regards
CapBlack is offline Find More Posts by CapBlack
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
MT 2812-10 77kV sync Problem (?)

Dear all,

flashing works great also with the great arduino SW to use it as a USB linker!

BUT:

When I make rapid throttle changes (with a servo tester instead of the FC:
full throttle, almost no trottle very quick) motor looses sync and screeches sometimes- but then comes up to speed within a sec or so.
Slow changes work very good....

So far I tried the following FW:
- original SimonK firmware (works great on a small quad though!!)
- original Blue Series V2 wii ESC
- Falco_revA_WiiESC_Mystery20A_nFET

My setup:

- F30A Esc
- Tiger MT 2814-10 KV770 (testing without props, planned Graupner Eprops 11", perhaps 11" top and 12" bottom in Y6 config)
- 3S or 4S both the same

Is this normal? I am REALLY worried it looses sync in flight and crashes because for sure I can not effort an other copter like the one I am trying to get airborne right now (Nor the DSLR it shall carry....)

If you have any idea on this it would be awesome if you could let me know!!!

Thank you sooooo much in advance

(P.s.: The "shake the copter hard" test is not an option because I do not want to hurt myself...)
RQuad is offline Find More Posts by RQuad
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:08 PM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
Hi,

I try to flash some Robbe Roxxy 730 with tp.hex. After repowering the esc it makes the 3 beeps but not the one when a correct RC signal is connected to the ESC. When I try to run the motor it just stutter.

Any idea?

Okay I have to reply to my own post.
JÜRGEN_ wrote me a PM saying that Roxxy 730 is equal design than DragonSky60A and that is equal to RC Timer 50A.
So I tried rct50a.hex and it works like a charm.

Thanks again

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
CheckSum is offline Find More Posts by CheckSum
Last edited by CheckSum; Nov 07, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Nov 2008
23 Posts
@RQuad: Have you removed BEMF filtering caps?
ziss_dm is offline Find More Posts by ziss_dm
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:30 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,791 Posts
I bought several different size Multistar ESCs (10,15,20A). I see the 'list' shows the 30A as using the KDA.hex firmware. Does this hold true for the other size Multistars? I plan on trying these ESCs before flashing and then flash if/as needed. I take it it's fine to flash via the 6-pin cable that I've used on my RCTimer ESCs. I need to read more on this bootloader thingy...
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; Nov 07, 2012 at 09:48 PM.