SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:49 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noppita View Post
tgy_2012-09-30_0d3e617.zip Source and .hex files - almost everything changed, more boards (tp70a, tp_8khz), boot loader any time

Simon, what does it mean? boot loader any time? does it mean, the boot loader for this firmware is activate automatically?
Sort of. It means that it will jump to it if the input goes high for >2 seconds, even if the boot loader fuses aren't set. However, you shouldn't really use it this way other than for convenience of being able to flash multiple ESCs without needing to power cycle each time. You will _need_ to set the fuses if you want to be able to use the boot loader as it is intended (before the regular code, if any, actually starts). For example, if you flashed an older version or wii-esc or something instead through the boot loader, but haven't set the fuses, you will have no way of getting back to the boot loader unless you connect ISP programming again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco67 View Post
Does anyone know if SimonK and WII-ESC use different bootloader?
Using Turnigy USB Linker you can switch from SimonK to WII-ESC but if you go back during flashing an error occurs, you are forced to flash with the usual method (Atmel pins), or at least that's what happens to me, same result using wii-esc flash tool, kk tool or manually with avrdude.

Can anyone explain why? :-)
You may have hit what I explained above, if the BOOTRST fuse was not set. wii-esc binaries do not have an embedded boot loader that I know of, but my code does. This makes it more convenient for flashing, but does conflict with any other boot loader you might want to use instead. Some of the wii-esc prefer to use a serial-based boot loader instead (AVRootLoader). However, if you flash one of my released .hex files first, then a wii-esc .hex file (without chip erase), you will be left with a combination of wii-esc and my boot loader that works with the Turnigy USB linker (ONLY if the fuses are set). Conversely, the only way to use AVRootLoader with my code is to build it first with BOOT_LOADER set to 0.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
I was attempting to flash some fresh 261000002 HK 10A ESC's with SimonK's latest, but I am having an issue. I created an adapter using pogopins to make sure that I am getting decent contact with all the pads on the ESC, and followed the pad-out of 5V,GND,MOSI,MISO,SCK,RST from inside to out. Upon making contact either my Mac(with windows in a VM) or my PC would disconnect the hardware completely, and wouldn't reconnect until I disconnected from the pads. Further, I got a adjustable voltage source and set it at the 2S range, and didn't hook up the 5v/GND(was hoping the VR would supply it) but got no response ala cannot set sck period. I had the same issues with a previous adapter I made (hence why I used pogopins for this adapter). I can use the HK Adapter on the usbasp to flash my F30's without a problem though. Any suggestions?
ryanistheryan is offline Find More Posts by ryanistheryan
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Jan 2012
27 Posts
50a rctimer without esc

I think it's a new esc, but i'am not sure if it has an atmel chip. The "old 50A rctimer" only supports up to 4S and i want 5 or 6S. The new one does support this. Maybe someone already has bought this esc....?

See here:
old (with bec): http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...4&productname=

new (without bec) : http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...wt&goodsid=151

So what i want to know if the "new" one is compatible with simonk firmware.

Cheers,
Fuwu
Fuwubuman is offline Find More Posts by Fuwubuman
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2012
156 Posts
hello..
I've recently flashed hobbyking f-40a's.I flashed them with BS, but am getting some strange results.
Should i have used BS 40A ?

Any advice much appreciated
whizz101 is offline Find More Posts by whizz101
Old Nov 06, 2012, 12:43 PM
Austria, O, Aschach an der Steyr
Joined Jun 2011
15 Posts
Hallo Simon,
I tied to flash my Aeolian Evolution 60A ESC with the tp_nfet you told me, but it does not work. The BL Motor was trambeling. The first time it makes a short beep and after this I think the ESC were dead. I also tried the tp70a and the dlu40a firmware, but without a success. But I have 6 ESC more for an other try. Do you have a solution which firmware can work. I also have some Skywing SW-80A ESC,s which I want to flash. Do anybody have an idea? Cheers Johannes.
Jonny_sch is offline Find More Posts by Jonny_sch
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:34 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Nov 2008
56 Posts
I made a jig to program some F-20A. Unfortunately I was only able to flash 3 out of 4 esc's. I cannot connect to it. I tried soldering directly to it and it still wont connect. Any ideas?
mman1506 is offline Find More Posts by mman1506
Old Nov 06, 2012, 11:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
I've solved my own problem. Disconnecting the 5V but not the ground solved all the flashing issues of the 261000002.
ryanistheryan is offline Find More Posts by ryanistheryan
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:54 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_sch View Post
Hallo Simon,
I tied to flash my Aeolian Evolution 60A ESC with the tp_nfet you told me, but it does not work. The BL Motor was trambeling. The first time it makes a short beep and after this I think the ESC were dead. I also tried the tp70a and the dlu40a firmware, but without a success. But I have 6 ESC more for an other try. Do you have a solution which firmware can work. I also have some Skywing SW-80A ESC,s which I want to flash. Do anybody have an idea? Cheers Johannes.
Hi Johannes,

I had some Aeolian Evolution 80A to flash. They worked with TP_nfet.

Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hello! HobbyWing sure does come up with a lot of names for their ESCs. I can't read the FET drive chips or see the traces, but since there's no oscillator visible, I'll randomly guess it's tgy.hex if the FET chips say ir2101s or similar, or tp_nfet.hex if they say 8003 or similar (inverted low side).
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Last edited by LazyZero; Nov 07, 2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:17 AM
France, IdF, Neuilly-sur-Seine
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Hello Simon,

Is there any power consumption improvement between release 2012.09.30 and 2012.06.10, or is it the same ?

Thanks
airmamaf is offline Find More Posts by airmamaf
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:23 AM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuwubuman View Post
The "old 50A rctimer" only supports up to 4S and i want 5 or 6S. The new one does support this. Maybe someone already has bought this esc....?

See here:
old (with bec): http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...4&productname=

new (without bec) : http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...wt&goodsid=151
I haven't bought any new 50A ones, but the 40A had two problems: BEC will very easily overheat if you use it (but if you don't it's OK at 6S), and the sense resistor divisions are too weak and will put more than 5V at the ATmega8 at around 5S. You can sort of get away with this to some extent, but it will cause a DC timing skew and it's generally not good.

The old 50A without BEC was just missing the BEC part. Check what you get and see if it looks like this. Hmm, that TA7805 seems it may only be rated to 20V. Anyway, it's kind of a pain to work with because it's MLF and reset is tied to +5V. The 40A ESCs also seem to have 8MHz oscillators (normal tgy.hex won't work, you need one built with F_CPU changed to 8MHz, or disable external oscillator via fuses).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizz101 View Post
hello..
I've recently flashed hobbyking f-40a's.I flashed them with BS, but am getting some strange results.
Should i have used BS 40A ?

Any advice much appreciated
Ok, define strange. bs40a is a very different board and won't work on the F-40A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_sch View Post
Hallo Simon,
I tied to flash my Aeolian Evolution 60A ESC with the tp_nfet you told me, but it does not work. The BL Motor was trambeling.
Hm, sorry, not sure. What did you use to power it? If LiPo, you may have killed it. If the 80A ESC works with tp_nfet, I'd really expect that the 60A should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanistheryan View Post
I've solved my own problem. Disconnecting the 5V but not the ground solved all the flashing issues of the 261000002.
Ahh, there you go. Ground is important.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:28 AM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmamaf View Post
Is there any power consumption improvement between release 2012.09.30 and 2012.06.10, or is it the same ?
Idle or running? There may be a idle-after-running improvement in some interesting cases (some boards would cause noise on the comparator when the high side FETs are switched that makes it look like the motor is still spinning, which made it never actually "stop" switching the high side FETs). Otherwise, it should be about the same. Is it bad? Most losses are sense resistors and brute force discrete FET driving in hardware that can't be fixed in software. Oh, under very fast acceleration, timing should be less lagged, so there should be less power waste in that case.

Oh, if you have a compatible board, COMP_PWM set to 1 may improve flight time and stability. I should probably emit builds with that set on for all compatible boards (though the list is getting pretty long already).
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:35 AM
Moscow
Joined Jul 2006
392 Posts
solved)
cheers
dimitri
mitmit is offline Find More Posts by mitmit
Last edited by mitmit; Nov 07, 2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
I haven't bought any new 50A ones, but the 40A had two problems: BEC will very easily overheat if you use it (but if you don't it's OK at 6S), and the sense resistor divisions are too weak and will put more than 5V at the ATmega8 at around 5S. You can sort of get away with this to some extent, but it will cause a DC timing skew and it's generally not good.

The old 50A without BEC was just missing the BEC part. Check what you get and see if it looks like this. Hmm, that TA7805 seems it may only be rated to 20V. Anyway, it's kind of a pain to work with because it's MLF and reset is tied to +5V. The 40A ESCs also seem to have 8MHz oscillators (normal tgy.hex won't work, you need one built with F_CPU changed to 8MHz, or disable external oscillator via fuses).

Ok, define strange. bs40a is a very different board and won't work on the F-40A.

Hm, sorry, not sure. What did you use to power it? If LiPo, you may have killed it. If the 80A ESC works with tp_nfet, I'd really expect that the 60A should.

Ahh, there you go. Ground is important.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply! Do you know if the same thing is true for the 30A rctimer version. Regarding the 6S compatibility when not using the BEC. i've tested the 30a rctimer esc with an adapter to 21-22v to a max of 8A load and it worked but i wouldn't trust my canon 5d under it without a confirmation that the components are up to it. If this is not the case, can you recommend an esc that handles 6s and is flashable? And preferably is not to pricey....

Cheers!
Fuwu
Fuwubuman is offline Find More Posts by Fuwubuman
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:17 AM
Austria, O, Aschach an der Steyr
Joined Jun 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
Hi Johannes,

I had some Aeolian Evolution 80A to flash. They worked with TP_nfet.

Christian
Hallo Christian and Simon, today I flashed an other Aeolian Evolution 60A with TP_nfet. Now it worked. I think the first one did not work even before I flashed him. The second one I tried befor flashing. Now he workes perfect. Thank you.

I also have some Skywing SW-80A ESC,s which I want to flash. Do you have an idea which firmware I can use?

cheers Johannes.
Jonny_sch is offline Find More Posts by Jonny_sch
Last edited by Jonny_sch; Nov 07, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:26 AM
France, IdF, Neuilly-sur-Seine
Joined Jan 2012
92 Posts
Quote:
Idle or running? There may be a idle-after-running improvement in some interesting cases (some boards would cause noise on the comparator when the high side FETs are switched that makes it look like the motor is still spinning, which made it never actually "stop" switching the high side FETs). Otherwise, it should be about the same. Is it bad? Most losses are sense resistors and brute force discrete FET driving in hardware that can't be fixed in software. Oh, under very fast acceleration, timing should be less lagged, so there should be less power waste in that case.

Oh, if you have a compatible board, COMP_PWM set to 1 may improve flight time and stability. I should probably emit builds with that set on for all compatible boards (though the list is getting pretty long already).
It's for running and power consumption it's not actually bad or good for me.
I asked this because I made a bench with HK Blueseries running 2012-06-10 firmware to measure power consumption for my MT2814-11 motor, and I didn't manage to get the figure RC Tiger Motor get on their website.
So I don't know if this could come from my ESC/firmware or from something else. Because everything is set up now in my hexacopter, I can't run a bench anymore, so I was wondering if upgrading to firmware 2012-09-30 could solve or not the problem.

I didn't find a specific compatible board list for COMP_PWM, is it this one https://github.com/sim-/tgy#hardware and is HobbyKing 20A BlueSeries (HKz20A) supported ?

Thanks
airmamaf is offline Find More Posts by airmamaf