HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:33 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilternFlyer View Post
(2) I then tried and old red brick 25A:- Programmed it with "TGY.hex" and got a similar result. It just about spins but doesn't respond very well to throttle. I wasn't going to push it in case something suddenly started smoking. I've retested the motor using a Plush 10 that I did yesterday - the motor is fine.

So, I'm not sure what I've done wrong but I need to understand what's happened here before trying anymore of my ATMega8 ESC's.

Any ideas??

Here is the console output from flashing the red brick:-
Hi, I looked on the console output and everything is as expected. No idea why motor isn't running smooth. I have some AXN 800kV motor, maybe I get some time to test them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelss View Post
guys,

Quick question:

How do you guys know when if the ESC were actually flashed? by the program output?

avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9307
avrdude.exe: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude.exe: current erase-rewrite cycle count is -50462977 (if being tracked)
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: reading input file "bs_nfet.hex"
avrdude.exe: input file bs_nfet.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: writing flash (2070 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 1.43s

avrdude.exe: 2070 bytes of flash written
avrdude.exe: verifying flash memory against bs_nfet.hex:
avrdude.exe: load data flash data from input file bs_nfet.hex:
avrdude.exe: input file bs_nfet.hex auto detected as Intel Hex
avrdude.exe: input file bs_nfet.hex contains 2070 bytes
avrdude.exe: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 1.01s

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: 2070 bytes of flash verified

avrdude.exe: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

I'm waiting on my rotors and battery so i cannot test the ESC. just wanted to be ahead and flash the ESC's. Here is my ghetto setup =/

I thing you use the flashtool from catch? You should update the firmware file in the tool or use the kkflashtool. Catch doesn't update his download section any more.

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:45 AM
Joined Oct 2012
111 Posts
hi sadsack
I was having difficulty because the brushless motor that I use to replace quite big, should be used esc brushess take big amps current (30 A or more)

software for brushless esc used chip silap only work with esc 6a, 12a .... small electric current

brushless esc using atmega 8 chips, more popular than with silab chips.
future88 is offline Find More Posts by future88
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:58 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,772 Posts
yes.

avrdude.exe: verifying ...
avrdude.exe: 2070 bytes of flash verified

avrdude.exe: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

thats the good news

and this is ok too

SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:06 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by future88 View Post
hi sadsack
I was having difficulty because the brushless motor that I use to replace quite big, should be used esc brushess take big amps current (30 A or more)

software for brushless esc used chip silap only work with esc 6a, 12a .... small electric current

brushless esc using atmega 8 chips, more popular than with silab chips.
BLHeli does 30a + would need to look for yourself. Me i used 3amp>7a size that are modded ie stacked fets.

SSkaug has nailed silabs for Helis. Feature set for it is commercial grade, we should be paying $$$ for it
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Oct 2012
111 Posts
hi sadsack
you have to use software to convert the PWM signal to PPM for chip silap, I want to ask you
How esc settings for compatibility with 4in 1? min and max signal pulse for esc ?
future88 is offline Find More Posts by future88
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Jul 2009
2,189 Posts
tgy_2012-09-30_0d3e617.zip — Source and .hex files - almost everything changed, more boards (tp70a, tp_8khz), boot loader any time

i installed the above new firmware to my hobbyking 40 amp esc and using command prompt by avrdude command and i was trying to reflash the same new firmware using usb linker (testing to see if usb linker work) but the usb linker did not work, i can not get it to flash the firmware to my esc.

so my question is when i install the new firmware to the esc using command prompt by avrdude, do i need to activate boot loader? or boot loader will be activate automatically?
noppita is offline Find More Posts by noppita
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:57 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noppita View Post

so my question is when i install the new firmware to the esc using command prompt by avrdude, do i need to activate boot loader? or boot loader will be activate automatically?
You need to activate bootloader, LazyZero tool would be your simplest way to do it.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Jul 2009
2,189 Posts
so, my old way of installing simonk firmware does not activate bootloader?
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:18 AM
Still flying a desk..
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Sep 2001
1,725 Posts
Mixed results - UPDATE

Thanks for all of your answers guys.
The red brick is in the bin (I couldn't be bothered with it anymore and it's the only one I had).

The Mystery Blue 12A is no longer a mystery.. The GoogleDocs listing just says Mystery 12A but that didn't necessarily mean a Mystery Blue so stupidly I opted for the HobbyKing Blue series because HK claims that they are the same. Actually they are not!
The HK Blue 12A has N FETs. The Mystery Blue does not.

I've now flashed my Mystery Blue 12A with BS firmware and it works .

Incidentally:- A standard Mystery 12A uses 8.8 Amps on a 3S pack and turns a 8*4.5 prop at 8000 RPM. The flashed version turns the same prop at 7900 rpm and uses 7.7 Amps.

Thanks Guys! Big thumbs up from me.
I'm off to flash some more and hopefully get something in the air!
ChilternFlyer is online now Find More Posts by ChilternFlyer
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined Jul 2009
2,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
You need to activate bootloader, LazyZero tool would be your simplest way to do it.
is there an instruction how to use it, i download it and do not understand what file to double click
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Jul 2009
2,189 Posts
tgy_2012-09-30_0d3e617.zip — Source and .hex files - almost everything changed, more boards (tp70a, tp_8khz), boot loader any time

Simon, what does it mean? boot loader any time? does it mean, the boot loader for this firmware is activate automatically?
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:20 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,772 Posts
AVRDude can do all you need to get it going and its what i use.
Just i don't feel confident enough to walk you thought it. I would feel bad if i got it wrong.

LazyZero has double checked everything taken guess workout for us. I installed it last week and used with Littlemo's Arduino linker and i will use it in the future to flash my esc.

Look in download section http://lazyzero.de/en/modellbau/kkmu...lashtool?do=ex
everythings there on what to do, even video
Old Nov 05, 2012, 12:02 PM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noppita View Post
is there an instruction how to use it, i download it and do not understand what file to double click
You have to double click one of the windows command script file. On my homepage is also a manual, with every information you need to run the tool

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:12 PM
APM Copter Developer
Italy, Emilia-Romagna, Ferrara
Joined Apr 2009
190 Posts
Does anyone know if SimonK and WII-ESC use different bootloader?
Using Turnigy USB Linker you can switch from SimonK to WII-ESC but if you go back during flashing an error occurs, you are forced to flash with the usual method (Atmel pins), or at least that's what happens to me, same result using wii-esc flash tool, kk tool or manually with avrdude.

Can anyone explain why? :-)

Bests, Marco
(ArduCopter Dev Team)
Marco67 is offline Find More Posts by Marco67
Last edited by Marco67; Nov 05, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:06 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco67 View Post
Does anyone know if SimonK and WII-ESC use different bootloader?
Using Turnigy USB Linker you can switch from SimonK to WII-ESC but if you go back during flashing an error occurs, you are forced to flash with the usual method (Atmel pins), or at least that's what happens to me, same result using wii-esc flash tool, kk tool or manually with avrdude.

Can anyone explain why? :-)

Bests, Marco
(ArduCopter Dev Team)
Can you post output screen error?