SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
That's stellar work, Thanks very much.
I installed The LazyZero KKmulticopter Flash didn't work with turnigy linker but few simple changes worked fine. Or better yet wait till lazyZero adds it proper.
It might work as a USB Linker if SERIALRATE is set to 9600.

Quote:
And Don't Use The Bootloader option! It will break the bootloader and you will need to re-flash bootloader. I tried just to see what happens (yup numnuts) but esc still works and just hangs trying to write to esc with linker.
That's interesting. I would like to see what is being executed as far as avrdude and its parameters. I don't think fuses can be set from the bootloader so I imagine any problems would be due to the flash going bad and corrupting the bootloader.

With that said, any flash of the firmware always contains the bootloader so I'm not sure what would be different about a normal flash and a "bootloader" flash other than fuses. Maybe it doesn't work the way I think it does.
LittleMo is offline Find More Posts by LittleMo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Nov 2008
23 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
Alright, hurricane's coming, time to get ready. I really wanted to try my simonk'd quad in the high winds but I broke a prop on the workbench this morning (watch out when resetting your multiwii with the TX on; yes there was blood)
That is why wii-esc has safeguard for such false starts. (Tired to watch my fingers when I'm connecting FTDI)

regards,
ziss_dm
ziss_dm is offline Find More Posts by ziss_dm
Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:20 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMo View Post
That's interesting. I would like to see what is being executed as far as avrdude and its parameters. I don't think fuses can be set from the bootloader so I imagine any problems would be due to the flash going bad and corrupting the bootloader.
It shouldn't corrupt anything, but yeah, the AVR cannot change its fuses from code, so I didn't implement that feature. It should just return an error if you try to set the fuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziss_dm View Post
That is why wii-esc has safeguard for such false starts. (Tired to watch my fingers when I'm connecting FTDI)
So, I admit I haven't actually tried the MultiWii code on an AVR board (don't have one yet). What is happening here? Is this some sort of intentional throttle calibration on power up?
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:41 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,569 Posts
Quote:
That's stellar work, Thanks very much.
I installed The LazyZero KKmulticopter Flash didn't work with turnigy linker but few simple changes worked fine. Or better yet wait till lazyZero adds it proper.

Edit Avrdue.conf and just replace :

Code:
programmer
  id    = "tgyusblinker";
  desc  = "Turnigy USB Linker";
  baudrate = 9600;
  type  = stk500v2;
with this :

programmer
Code:
id    = "'LittleMo'";
  desc  = "ArduinoUSBLinker";
  baudrate = 115200;
  type  = stk500v2;
And Don't Use The Bootloader option! It will break the bootloader and you will need to re-flash bootloader. I tried just to see what happens (yup numnuts) but esc still works and just hangs trying to write to esc with linker.

Can't wait till multiWii FC gets here to try it all out.
Again thanks and SimonK for your on going effort

Phil
Sorry I where on a conference all week, but that is exactly what I like to add next.
But as long I didn't test it I will not release it. Maybe this evening I get some minutes.

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:24 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Well it appears that problem is at my end.
I've only used Avrdude up till now when i installed LazyZero's tool.
Java i had worked with MultiWiiConf 2.1 64bit. To get LazyZero's tool working i had re-install java 32bit but Multiwiiconf 32bit only works now and i removed java 64bit. So i've just got a poor install all round.
Later i'll start again....just not looking forward to resoldering escx4.
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:10 AM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Well it appears that problem is at my end.
I've only used Avrdude up till now when i installed LazyZero's tool.
Java i had worked with MultiWiiConf 2.1 64bit. To get LazyZero's tool working i had re-install java 32bit but Multiwiiconf 32bit only works now and i removed java 64bit. So i've just got a poor install all round.
Later i'll start again....just not looking forward to resoldering escx4.
Your ESC might still be working like normal. Try different bit rates with the ArduinoUSBLinker. I thought it was working fine but this morning I'm noticing that sometimes it can't communicate. Usually switching to 32us bit timing works better than the default 136us timing but even then sometimes it gets errors.

I'm not sure what happened, I'll have to do some testing.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:28 AM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,569 Posts
Hi,

had some time to test the ArduinoUSBLinker within the flashtool. It works good as expected. I also tried to write with "enable bootloader" and of cause this doesn't work, but also doesn't brick the bootloader. After using the "atmega 8 based ESC" target, it was no problem to flash again.

I will now add the ArduinoUSBLinker to the avrdude configuration files. And make a new beta release.

Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:04 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
773 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put it, but can someone help me with the theory behind the brushless motor control?

I understand the FETs switch to the next drive cycle when zero crossing is detected - zero crossing being the voltage at one of the phases being 1/2 of the main drive voltage.

Here is the standard circuit for ESCs, with the "MITTEL" pin going to one of the analog comparators.

How is the analog comparator set up to detect zero crossing?
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, VA
Joined Dec 2006
1,491 Posts
I reworked the ArduinoUSBLinker timing mechanism and it seems to be a lot more stable now. Released version 0.6.

I changed the default bit timing to 32Ás which may be too fast but I need people to test it. Especially if anyone has some of the slower less accurate ESC's (8 Mhz, no external oscillator, etc). 20Ás seems to work again but not as reliably. 16Ás timing almost works but it's not quite there.

When integrated with MultiWii it now runs at the standard 115200 bps.

Shaved a couple bytes off the size in the process.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Oct 2012
224 Posts
hello simon
you can write any program atmega 8 run forward, run reverse and brake. I want to use it for car
thank you
fantasy1988 is offline Find More Posts by fantasy1988
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:54 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy1988 View Post
you can write any program atmega 8 run forward, run reverse and brake. I want to use it for car
You could download this software already - current firmware has all those functions built-in, just recompile with needed braking power and timings...
(AFAIK - no sensored motors, only sensorless)
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:48 AM
Joined Oct 2012
224 Posts
hi ablomas

can you show me the path to download the software?I just need it to run forward, reverse and brake. do not need to use the car, just run the boat.
i use motor of aircraft emax 2215/20
flash fimwave esc brushless ztw 40 a ? (forward,reverse,brake )
thank you
Last edited by fantasy1988; Oct 29, 2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:20 AM
Joined Oct 2012
224 Posts
Is it? https://github.com/sim-/tgy/downloads

and fourth
tgy_2012-03-21_6af38a2.zip - Source and. hex files - No throttle calibration after brown-out, reverse tgy6a
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:18 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasy1988 View Post
can you show me the path to download the software?
Link is on first post of this thread:
https://github.com/sim-/tgy
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:00 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,770 Posts
One Programmer for Flashing Atmel and Silabs ESCs

Hey folks,

just for your notice, I've created a firmware which allows to turn a Atmega+USB-TTL-adapter hardware, such as an Arduino board, KK multicopter board, wii board, etc. into a programmer which allows to flash both Atmega-based ESCs and Silabs-based ESCs.

Flashing Atmel and Silabs ESCs: owProg, one programmer for all

It's beta version! A suitable Arduino Nano is available for $10.38 on ebay. If you own already a FTDI adapter you can go with a Arduino Pro Mini which is available for $6.99 on ebay.

It would in principle be easily possible to also include the Turnigy USB Linker function, such that this programmer would be universal in the sense that only one hardware item fits all needs to do all flashing/updating tasks, but I don't want to interfere with LittleMo's great project (and would do it only with his permission).

Anyhow, if you're unsure what programming hardware to buy, buy an Arduino, it allows you to do all

Have fun, Olli
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW