HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:43 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
and HK F-30A are about to be put into stock after the back orders (like mine) are filled... and mine just went from back ordered to reserved
Lucky you! After waiting 14days for nothing, last night I just cancelled my backorder for 4 F-30A's, and used the credits for 4 Blue 20's because they were in stock (and 20 is enough for me). F30A and F20A are still currently backordered; both popular esc these days so who knows how much longer before my order would have finally been filled. The Blues will take an hour longer for me to flash because the pads aren't in a row (can't use my clip). OTOH I'm content spending that extra hour, rather than wait 14days to get pads in a row.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
I successfully flashed and calibrated all 6 of my BlueSeries 30 Amp ESC's. Thanks to all for help along the way.

I made a "flash my ESC" video for my build log in case anyone is interest. Most of the other tutorials I found seem to leave out some steps, so I tried to cover it all. I used kkflashtool, which has great documentation, so I did not dwell on the software itself.

This is my first venture into this kind of thing - I am not an electronics person. For those in a similar boat, maybe this will be helpful.

Derek

Flash BlueSeries ESC with SimonK firmware (9 min 59 sec)
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:27 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,035 Posts
Has anyone flashed the HobbyKing BlueSeries 12A? I know it's compatible but what were your experience with them?
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:59 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,528 Posts
Code:
BsNfet.inc
hf:DA
lf:2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Has anyone flashed the HobbyKing BlueSeries 12A? I know it's compatible but what were your experience with them?
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,918 Posts
So I'm curious, with the upgraded firmware, will some of these ESC's run hot? I just upgraded three of them for my tri (HK SS 25A with Atmega) and found that they all run pretty warm. I'm flying DT-750's with 11x4.7 GWS props and 10x4.7 APC SF props. With the 11x4.7, I'm pulling about 9A in a hover and 18A when I throttle up to gain altitude according to my EagleTree logger.
I'm not too concerned as they're not overly hot but I'm sticking a GoPro on it and then FPV gear a little later so I wanted to know if I would eventually need better ESC's or if it's normal for the newer firmware to run a little hot.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
So I'm curious, with the upgraded firmware, will some of these ESC's run hot? I just upgraded three of them for my tri (HK SS 25A with Atmega) and found that they all run pretty warm. I'm flying DT-750's with 11x4.7 GWS props and 10x4.7 APC SF props. With the 11x4.7, I'm pulling about 9A in a hover and 18A when I throttle up to gain altitude according to my EagleTree logger.
I'm not too concerned as they're not overly hot but I'm sticking a GoPro on it and then FPV gear a little later so I wanted to know if I would eventually need better ESC's or if it's normal for the newer firmware to run a little hot.
Please try http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...z#post22092906 ...The HK-SS boards around that size have a serious electrical problem that causes excessive fail particularly at PWM rates above 8kHz. There are a lot of posts about it in this forum, and somebody even recently mentioned that they could measure a heat difference between 8kHz and 9kHz. If you can't stand the PWM sound, go with F-20A boards instead.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:45 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,898 Posts
Quote:
I read somewhere that SimonK firmware makes the ESC run "warmer" because it is working it "harder" (ie, higher frequency and such), which is why certain ESC's with quality components are more desirable. Supposedly the Hobby King F30A brand and the BlueSeries are recommended due to the high quality components.

Beyond that, I really can't say - I'm not an electronics person - that's just what I read somewhere.

(ah, from the man himself in the post above)
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,918 Posts
Oh man, I'm going to have to take everything apart again! Oh well, I don't care too much about having the sound as I couldn't tell too much of a difference. Having to solder everything on for each ESC will be a pain. I'll need to find more heat shrink again too!
Back to the man cave tomorrow to fix these issues...
Oh, simonk, with those new hex files, what method do you recommend to load everything up? I used LazyZero's software as it's quite easy. I assume I can just point the program to the location of the tgy hex file and that should take care of the rest correct?
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Nov 2008
23 Posts
Hi,
Another option could be to use latest wii-esc: http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/
Due use of Sigma-Delta modulation instead of PWM it has higher efficiency with relativelly low noise emission. It also has higher resolution ~ 1600 points in standard range.

regards,
ziss_dm
ziss_dm is offline Find More Posts by ziss_dm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:01 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
hi ziss.. im interested in wii-esc fws.. and would be interested to know what is the downside of wii-esc? simonk works pretty good eliminating the whine and better efficiency.. but does not work with some pancake motor.. how about wii-esc?

thanks

James
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Nov 2008
23 Posts
Hi,

Probably wrong person to ask. but..

Bright side:
1) up to 4000 steps of resolution.
2) low noise with comparatively high efficiency (Sigma-delta modulator, instead of fixed frequency PWM)
3) linear power response. (completely no "bump" at 100%)
4) Sync recovery.
5) Safe stall detection.
6) Complimentary PWM support

dark side:
1) no EPA, throttle endpoints are fixed.
2) no reverse
3) probably lower max RPM.
4) require removing BEMF capacitors ;(

There are people reporting success with pancake motors.

regards,
ziss_dm
ziss_dm is offline Find More Posts by ziss_dm
Last edited by ziss_dm; Aug 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziss_dm View Post
Hi,

Probably wrong person to ask. but..

Bright side:
1) up to 4000 steps of resolution.
2) low noise with comparatively high efficiency (Sigma-delta modulator, instead of fixed frequency PWM)
3) linear power response. (completely no "bump" at 100%)
4) Sync recovery.
5) Safe stall detection.
6) Complimentary PWM support

dark side:
1) no EPA, throttle endpoints are fixed.
2) no reverse
3) probably lower max RPM.

There are people reporting success with pancake motors.

regards,
ziss_dm
it's actually a piece of good info.. seems it is best for pancakes most time
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:14 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,926 Posts
My flashed ESCs work oh-so-much-better than the stock ones. Here's a video I did recently with them...it was pretty windy and the quick response of the flashed ESCs made a difference on keeping things 'level'...but not always dry . Watch the video for the rest...
Wet -n- Dry (5 min 10 sec)
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:16 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
I read somewhere that SimonK firmware makes the ESC run "warmer" because it is working it "harder"
Nah. The HK-SS boards just have problems where the noise caused by switching on a low-side FET and swinging down a phase voltage from Vbat+body diode conduction losses is enough to briefly turn on all high-side FETs. This can happen even at 8kHz under heavy load, but it typically happens less at lower PWM frequency, regardless of firmware.

Quote:
Oh man, I'm going to have to take everything apart again! ... I assume I can just point the program to the location of the tgy hex file and that should take care of the rest correct?
If you get the Turnigy USB Linker, and enable the boot loader in LazyZero's flashing tool, you can use the USB Linker through the servo wire only for future upgrades or even wii-esc, as long as it doesn't clash with a built-in boot loader there.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:54 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post

If you get the Turnigy USB Linker, and enable the boot loader in LazyZero's flashing tool, you can use the USB Linker through the servo wire only for future upgrades or even wii-esc, as long as it doesn't clash with a built-in boot loader there.
A part form your source code ... do you have anywhere the the specs for this "communication" protocol at the ESC plug level .. it must be a bidirectional interface over 1 single line ... since the other 2 are fixed lines

Thanks

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70