HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
On Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 I had to add java to the %PATH% variable before it worked. I installed the JRE (not JDK) using the official installer. No idea why that wasn't done automatically if it's required. I installed 64bit Java.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:33 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,087 Posts
Thanks Guys

Will give it a try

I am running Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

Ben
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:44 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,087 Posts
Awesome

Looks like i had the 32bit version of JRE installed.

The Lazy Zero tool now runs properly!

Will see if i can flash some stuff!

Thanks
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,087 Posts
OK Next problem

Looks like a driver issue for the USBasp?
Mine is the one from HK

I downloaded the driver form here
http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

I have also tried this driver from here
http://www.protostack.com/blog/2011/...ows-vista-x64/

I am getting this error

Flash the firmware file.

C:\Users\Asus\Downloads\kkmulticopterflashtool_0.6 2\lib\avrdude\windows\avrdude.exe -C C:\Users\Asus\Downloads\kkmulticopterflashtool_0.6 2\lib\avrdude\windows\avrdude.conf -p m88 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -B 8 -e -U lfuse:w:0xe2:m -U hfuse:w:0xdd:m

avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 93750 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

Error during setting the fuses.
Flashing of firmware aborted.

Any ideas Gents?

Cheers

Ben
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:08 AM
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Oct 2011
852 Posts
i have a little problem with my flashed hobbyking 30A esc's, i made a videosorry for low quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0oc6...ature=youtu.be

sometimes a random motor does not startup when start my multiwii board, in the video it does not happen so much, but when i have props on it happens everytime.after i start the motor manually it flies perfectly, but from time to time, (specially when i turn my acc and barometer on) this issue happen on flight to and my copter falls from the sky, that's why i don't have any props left for demonstrating.

i realized that this issue happen just on my ntm motors, i have the 2830-750kv and 2826-1200kv motors and both of them has the same issue.

it seems like a timing issue, i didn't had this before i flashed my escs.How can i solve this?did i something wrong?

Dennis
deno6031 is offline Find More Posts by deno6031
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:37 AM
France, Pays de la Loire, Carquefou
Joined Mar 2009
154 Posts
Hi,
did you try to increase mincommand ? I've that on my quad and i fix it in increasing mincommand in mw config.h
cestb is offline Find More Posts by cestb
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:14 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420 View Post
it beeps 8 beeps exactly the same then a pause for about 1 full second then 8 beeps and it keeps repeating.
i just have the esc hooked to my rx and a motor connected to the esc. i start it with throttle high and wait for beep then lower it and the calibration is done. when i try this process with the one esc i get lots of beeping but with all my others they work great.
i will try to flash it again when i get home.
It sounds like the flashing perhaps did not complete successfully on that one ESC. You could verify this by reading the flash before writing over it again. I do not have any other expalantion.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:36 AM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deno6031 View Post
sometimes a random motor does not startup when start my multiwii board, in the video it does not happen so much, but when i have props on it happens everytime.after i start the motor manually it flies perfectly, but from time to time, (specially when i turn my acc and barometer on) this issue happen on flight to and my copter falls from the sky, that's why i don't have any props left for demonstrating.

i realized that this issue happen just on my ntm motors, i have the 2830-750kv and 2826-1200kv motors and both of them has the same issue.
Hello!

I have these same motors and had the same problem, but it went away with the recent start timing changes I made. Did you flash the latest version? I also lowered the "idle" speed on the flight controller to properly match the ESC range, which makes the problem harder to hit. This is equivalent to a _lower_ mincommand, or idle speed, or whatever you want to call it. A higher one will hit the problem more easily. The code limits the starting duty cycle to PWR_MIN_START (1/6th) partially to avoid this problem. The issue is a trade-off between smooth starting of tiny mass motors compared to higher mass motors before we can track the timing enough to know how long to make the blanking window.

However, I am not sure how this would cause any problems in flight, since when running, we have a blanking window. Are you running at 4S? Does it try to rapidly increase motor speed before the motor stops? The starting problem will cause the motor to squeal and not turn at all until it is bumped. With mine, I didn't have to turn the motor, only move it out of the current "cog". I can fly acro fine with it on a ~1kg quad and never see any problems (F-20A).
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:52 AM
Time to learn to fly
The Netherlands, OV, Zwolle
Joined Feb 2012
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzer View Post
Hi Guys
Im having some issues getting my software setup to flash some esc's

I am trying to run the lazyzero tool

When i try to run the serial command to launch the program i get this message.

"java is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Even though i have Java installed?

What am i doing wrong?

Ben
I had the same problem and fixed it with this
Sandav is online now Find More Posts by Sandav
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:24 AM
Turkey, Izmir
Joined Oct 2011
852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hello!

I have these same motors and had the same problem, but it went away with the recent start timing changes I made. Did you flash the latest version? I also lowered the "idle" speed on the flight controller to properly match the ESC range, which makes the problem harder to hit. This is equivalent to a _lower_ mincommand, or idle speed, or whatever you want to call it. A higher one will hit the problem more easily. The code limits the starting duty cycle to PWR_MIN_START (1/6th) partially to avoid this problem. The issue is a trade-off between smooth starting of tiny mass motors compared to higher mass motors before we can track the timing enough to know how long to make the blanking window.

However, I am not sure how this would cause any problems in flight, since when running, we have a blanking window. Are you running at 4S? Does it try to rapidly increase motor speed before the motor stops? The starting problem will cause the motor to squeal and not turn at all until it is bumped. With mine, I didn't have to turn the motor, only move it out of the current "cog". I can fly acro fine with it on a ~1kg quad and never see any problems (F-20A).
i did not flashed them with the latest version, it is an older version because i used the tool which was coded by catch15117.Would the newer version fix this? that means reflashing for me

i am using 4s lipos, it flys with no problems when i fly in acro mode, i can make every stunt, fast throttle responses with no problems at all.but when my acc and barometer turn on, this timing issue can happen from time to time, i think all of the sensors on, it gives too fast throttle responses to the esc.

Thanks for your fast response

Dennis
deno6031 is offline Find More Posts by deno6031
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:57 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
878 Posts
Is this why they call it a Flamewheel!!

Bad thing happened this weekend, Flew my H550 Hexa for the 3rd time with SimonK F30A esc on a KK2 board. Had a light crash with a dramatic finish...
Name: flamewheel.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 337.8 KB
Description: Lipo Fire Burnt My H550 hexaName: lipobatfire.jpg
Views: 128
Size: 334.7 KB
Description: Name: flamewheel2.jpg
Views: 124
Size: 335.1 KB
Description:
The ESC are soldered to the bottom plate, like DJI flame wheel frames. One of my solder joints had a sharp point on it, that on impact, pierced the battery pack, causing 3 distinct, successive, burst of fire, each cell, that destroyed my Hexa. Burnt the frame and melted the ESC wires, both servo leads and power leads, also the KK2 voltage lead and charred the arms badly. Luckily no one was hurt and the field didn't burn.
That said, if you have an integrated PCB type board with a poor soldering job, that could impact or damage the battery, it happend in the smallest of crashes and immediately burst into flames. Builders be ware
KK2 wasn't burnt and ESC bodies and Motors are all good. New leads might still salvage the ESC.
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:14 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,179 Posts
this thread is overwhelming... I just need to flash my HK F-30A... Any noob want to help another noob out.. PM please
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:28 AM
DeSoto MO
Joined May 2003
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
this thread is overwhelming... I just need to flash my HK F-30A... Any noob want to help another noob out.. PM please
Try this
Flashing SimonK Firmware on a 20 amp HK esc (12 min 30 sec)
Nick_P is offline Find More Posts by Nick_P
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:59 PM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deno6031 View Post
i did not flashed them with the latest version, it is an older version because i used the tool which was coded by catch15117.Would the newer version fix this? that means reflashing for me

i am using 4s lipos, it flys with no problems when i fly in acro mode, i can make every stunt, fast throttle responses with no problems at all.but when my acc and barometer turn on, this timing issue can happen from time to time, i think all of the sensors on, it gives too fast throttle responses to the esc.
Yes, definitely use the newest version.

There's no such thing as too fast throttle commands. As long as there is a few microseconds of low time between each pulse, it will work. If it sends a bunch of invalid ones (>2400Ás) or stops sending them for a while, it will time out and do the signal lost beeps, but stay armed.

When it falls out of the sky, does it make any screaming or beeping or any other sort of sound? Does one motor stop? Is it always the same motor? Can you get it to happen on the ground with no props attached? If not, maybe with props attached but tied down?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2005
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzer View Post
OK Next problem

Looks like a driver issue for the USBasp?
Mine is the one from HK

I downloaded the driver form here
http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

I have also tried this driver from here
http://www.protostack.com/blog/2011/...ows-vista-x64/

I am getting this error

Flash the firmware file.

C:\Users\Asus\Downloads\kkmulticopterflashtool_0.6 2\lib\avrdude\windows\avrdude.exe -C C:\Users\Asus\Downloads\kkmulticopterflashtool_0.6 2\lib\avrdude\windows\avrdude.conf -p m88 -P usb -c usbasp-clone -B 8 -e -U lfuse:w:0xe2:m -U hfuse:w:0xdd:m

avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 93750 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude.exe done. Thank you.

Error during setting the fuses.
Flashing of firmware aborted.

Any ideas Gents?

Cheers

Ben
Hi Guys

Any ideas?

Do i need to power the ESC directly? maybe 2s lipo?

Do you think its a connection problem with my adapter to the ESC?

Any hints gratefully received

thanks

Ben