HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:57 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by argo-2 View Post

Just thought I would share this in case using the command line in AVRDUDE (also great s/w) is getting a little tedious!
Here is a direct link to the developers download page rather than an an advertisement strewn site that has you jumping through hoops to get it

cheers
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 07:13 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Apr 2004
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hmm. Did it work at all? Do you still have a tree I could play with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Shering View Post
I got the Turnigy Plush 6A to get a possible common platform for development. Maybe we could cooperate a bit? And Quax might be interested. I use the Keil C which came with the daughter boards I have, but maybe we would have to move to SDCC?
Fine, I own a 12A version with a F330, that seems to be compatible with your 6A version.

I use the Silabs-IDE (3.61), Config2 (2.50) and sdcc-2.9.0-setup. I had some problems with the newest versions in the web and continued with the older one, I used before.

The actual files are here:
http://home.versanet.de/~b-konze/blc...0111120_hp.zip

You must open a new project, because my IDE has somewhere pathes saved or something like that. But it's very easy to build a new project.

Add "input_ppm.c" or(!) "input_pwm.c" to the build and remove the other from build, depending what input mode you want to use. The PWM input is designed for 4kHz 0%-100% PWM.

I think the startup is the most critical part and should be exchanged with an other way to start. Maybe the ADC should be used instead of the comparator function, as you mentioned.

This is only a "play version". Don't use it in this state for real flights.

Regards
Bernhard
quax is offline Find More Posts by quax
Old Nov 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,662 Posts
Hi Simonk,
the compiled Hex file like the TGY.hex is the same source as the uncompiled ASM from the download site?

Or the ASM source has some other added features?

Thanks for compiled it to Hex for ease of use.
dt8666 is offline Find More Posts by dt8666
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:01 PM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbb View Post
Here is a direct link to the developers download page rather than an an advertisement strewn site that has you jumping through hoops to get it

cheers
Much better source. Cheers Josh.
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:04 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
in the asm code that the PWM range is hardcoded to a range of 1000-1900nS (?). ... use 950>900nS as a reverse thrust-range.
Just note that specific values might be difficult to calibrate because of clock offsets. For example, if you're using a board without a resonator, it can drift a bit with temperature, and be a bit off to begin with. The default range is currently 1060Ás - 1860Ás, and this is a bit wider than most ESCs ship with. Boards without resonators are a bit off, like my Turnigy Plush 25A which starts at 1100Ás. Rather than calibrating the oscillator, I will just add input calibration saved to EEPROM, which will be much more precise than adjusting OSCCAL.

For your case, evaluate_rc_puls need adjustment to make the reverse area more sensitive and the NEUTRAL_RC_PULS calculation should go back to the normal non-reverse case. That's about it. You can use any values you want. The input is actually in steps of 1Ás/16, and right now it uses half Ás steps when RC_PULS_REVERSE is set, but there are a lot of bits to work with since I made everything 24-bit (and 16-bit PWM) and the timers run at clock speed.

Quote:
the ESC gets angry if its still rotating in the opposite direction? Even if slowly in opposite??
I can currently make a 2213N motor go from full speed one way to full speed the other way in about 150ms, with no special handling and not even a brake (just trying to commutate backwards will slow it down). But with a prop, wind, different motor, different voltage, etc., it still isn't as good as starting when it is either stopped or spinning in the right direction already, so YMMV.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:11 AM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8666 View Post
Hi Simonk,
the compiled Hex file like the TGY.hex is the same source as the uncompiled ASM from the download site?

Or the ASM source has some other added features?

Thanks for compiled it to Hex for ease of use.
They are just builds of specific revisions. The sha1sum in the description is the git commit hash, and so you can check out any version with git or from github. I tend to test everything before committing and pushing to github, and the ones I've actually flown with and tested a bit more I upload to the downloads section. I would recommend that you use the newest downloadable build, or build from source from the latest git tree. The downloads section lets you download a zip of the source for any version; just change the URL from "master" to the sha1sum hash of the version you want.

For example, here's the source for the (always) latest version: https://github.com/sim-/tgy/zipball/master

and here's the source for the version I uploaded build I uploaded last at this time: https://github.com/sim-/tgy/zipball/...5ecb780df579aa
Old Nov 21, 2011, 01:27 AM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
I have lots of "maybe working" code for the Silabs chips. ... I got the Turnigy Plush 6A to get a possible common platform for development. Maybe we could cooperate a bit? And Quax might be interested. I use the Keil C which came with the daughter boards I have, but maybe we would have to move to SDCC?
Cool! I was able to build both with SDCC quite easily -- it just doesn't support the x ^ 1 bit specification syntax, which looks like XORing to SDCC, but everything else works, to the extent that it would probably be pretty easy to use either. I _can_ also boot Windows occasionally.

I have a bunch of Turnigy Plush 18A with c8051f334 chips from when I bought a bunch hoping they would be AVRs, so it seems we all have different boards, but I maybe they actually kept the same pins. The FETs are AO4407B (2 per phase, -12A) and IRF7832Z (1 per phase, 21A). Pictures here: http://0x.ca/sim/tmp/turnigy_plush_18a_silabs_esc/
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:46 AM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,076 Posts
On SDCC I thought, not sure, there was also a problem with byte ordering, that old big/small Endian conundrum. I have seen code with conditionals to cater for it.

On pinout. I fear they are all different, unlike the AVR ones. I am struggling with the Turnigy 6A, Can't see it! But anyway it is different from the pin allocation that Bernhard has in his code.

I have noticed an interesting thing, however. The servo input goes to two pins separated by a 1k resistor. And these pins are the UART pins I think. The C8051Fs are very flexible because of the crossbar multiplexer but NOT concerning the UART, it can only be accessed from designated pins. I haven't checked for the I2C. But with luck it might be possible to do PPM, UART and I2C with no wiring change. Maybe even a bootloader?
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:04 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Just note that specific values might be difficult to calibrate because of clock offsets. For example, if you're using a board without a resonator, it can drift a bit with temperature, and be a bit off to begin with. The default range is currently 1060Ás - 1860Ás, and this is a bit wider than most ESCs ship with. Boards without resonators are a bit off, like my Turnigy Plush 25A which starts at 1100Ás. Rather than calibrating the oscillator, I will just add input calibration saved to EEPROM, which will be much more precise than adjusting OSCCAL.

For your case, evaluate_rc_puls need adjustment to make the reverse area more sensitive and the NEUTRAL_RC_PULS calculation should go back to the normal non-reverse case. That's about it. You can use any values you want. The input is actually in steps of 1Ás/16, and right now it uses half Ás steps when RC_PULS_REVERSE is set, but there are a lot of bits to work with since I made everything 24-bit (and 16-bit PWM) and the timers run at clock speed.
I think I understand. You are saying the hardware (oscillator) is not 100% accurate but your firmware has good resolution. Therefore the Reverse Area will need to be softcoded to EEPROM as a calibration? Or is it that a oscillator offset needs to be saved as a calibration? How would I perform the calibration? Ie: write the calibration values to EEPROM?

Quote:
I can currently make a 2213N motor go from full speed one way to full speed the other way in about 150ms, with no special handling and not even a brake (just trying to commutate backwards will slow it down). But with a prop, wind, different motor, different voltage, etc., it still isn't as good as starting when it is either stopped or spinning in the right direction already, so YMMV.
Cool. As you say, need give it a go and see.

Thanks again for all.
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Nov 21, 2011, 03:48 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
I have noticed an interesting thing, however. The servo input goes to two pins separated by a 1k resistor. And these pins are the UART pins I think.
The uart stuff is an old trick - I think mysterys do this also - the programming card sends stuff to uart, but to save a pin for PWM they jumper them with resistor.

Silabs has a bootloader appnote, http://www.silabs.com/Support%20Docu...Docs/AN533.pdf and it can bootload over i2c/spi/uart/can///
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
49 Posts
Tower Pro 12A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub J View Post
I wanted to buy Tower Pro 12A but they are out of stock...
Jakub
They are in stock again. I was thinking about buying the Turnigy Plush 6A because they also work with the original firmware good (have read it only in forums - no experience on my own). But it sounds, like the Tower Pro 12A should work fine with Simons firmware?

Do you have a photo of a stripped Tower Pro where I could see, how difficult it is to solder the cables for reprogramming?
olaf.j is offline Find More Posts by olaf.j
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
49 Posts
Mystery Pentium 60A

Hi,

has anyone here experiences (successful or not) with the Mystery Pentium 60A? Have build a quad with these ESCs, but it's totally unstable - perhaps it would work with this firmware?
olaf.j is offline Find More Posts by olaf.j
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:55 AM
hacker
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf.j View Post
Hi,

has anyone here experiences (successful or not) with the Mystery Pentium 60A? Have build a quad with these ESCs, but it's totally unstable - perhaps it would work with this firmware?
Not that particular Mystery, but I've found their stock firmware to have very smoothed/lagged throttle response. It should work now if it has an AVR on it.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:30 PM
manuLRK
Belgium
Joined Sep 2004
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashervn View Post
Hi guys, anyone has experience with these Mystery Pentium 30A ver 2.1? from the picture they appear to be lacking of the programming pads. Thanks
I have similar ones (Xen 10A), however I could not make them work with any of the hardware includes. Only the tp.inc, it beeps (hardly hearable) be-we-bip beeep ..., only at full throtthe (over 2mSec) power is sent to the motor...

here the pictures of the esc's.

manu
alll is offline Find More Posts by alll
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:49 PM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
The uart stuff is an old trick - I think mysterys do this also - the programming card sends stuff to uart, but to save a pin for PWM they jumper them with resistor.
There are three pins left unused, as far as I can determine, on the 6A. I think it is more a matter of re-using the existing servo cable rather than saving a pin.

One good thing I have found is that this controller uses a driver, probably just a transistor inverter, to drive the nFETs. The problem with the C8051F3XX is that it runs at 3.3V. Castle in their Thunderbird 9 just drive the nFET with this 3.3V, not really enough unless special FETs. The 5V from the ATMega8 is better. But this Plush 6A does more, 6 - 8V.

Another thing, Simon. I think it must use hardware PWM. The PWM starts at 2.6us, too short for software PWM I think? Then goes to 5us then 10uS when my system starts up.

Because of the small size, multilayer board and the use of drivers I can't trace the signals. So I will have to load probing software to find which phases go where.
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering