HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:38 AM
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,473 Posts
Rob
I can confirm that the chip is Atmel and the board has programming pads.
Neal
Nobert is offline Find More Posts by Nobert
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:56 AM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,025 Posts
Thank you very much. I will order some after my next payday.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:53 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2008
455 Posts
Just a thought

Do the new esc's using the SIL cpu have the same programming features and are they still programmable using the little programming cards that HK and rctimer sell?

I am trying to find a differentiation between the two esc's to try to determine if I am infact going to order an amtel based controller or not.

Thought the standard programming methods or features may be some kind of a clue.
I have not yet seen the new ones, but when ordering 10+ at a time it would be a real lunchbag letdown to find out that they were not flashable.
Any thoughts?
Paul
dowlinger is offline Find More Posts by dowlinger
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:58 PM
NW England
Joined Jul 2005
620 Posts
With the working source code for the atmel chips available to us, and the many talented programmers on rcgroups, could someone (*cough* timecop *cough*) not do a port of the code to the sil chips? I suppose though if the code is in asm it wouldn't be such an easy task to port it as it would be if it was in c?

Ben.
ben123 is offline Find More Posts by ben123
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:12 PM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlinger View Post
Just a thought
Do the new esc's using the SIL cpu have the same programming features and are they still programmable using the little programming cards that HK and rctimer sell?
Yep, new SIL based ESC work the same way, same features, and programmable with the same card, so unfortunately you cannot differentiate them based on that.
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:11 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben123 View Post
With the working source code for the atmel chips available to us, and the many talented programmers on rcgroups, could someone (*cough* timecop *cough*) not do a port of the code to the sil chips? I suppose though if the code is in asm it wouldn't be such an easy task to port it as it would be if it was in c?

Ben.
I ordered a Silicon Labs toolstick, so I guess I'll find out. The 8051 instruction set is older and a bit different, but a lot of the code would have to change even with a C port, since it depends on hardware timers and interrupts, which are all different.

One thing I noticed with the SiLabs Plushes is that there is a 5mm high SMD capacitor at the side of the board where the power and servo connector enter. This bulges out the heatshrink quite a bit. The AVR boards did not have this.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Nov 10, 2011, 05:14 PM
NW England
Joined Jul 2005
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
I ordered a Silicon Labs toolstick, so I guess I'll find out. The 8051 instruction set is older and a bit different, but a lot of the code would have to change even with a C port, since it depends on hardware timers and interrupts, which are all different.

One thing I noticed with the SiLabs Plushes is that there is a 5mm high SMD capacitor at the side of the board where the power and servo connector enter. This bulges out the heatshrink quite a bit. The AVR boards did not have this.
*fist pump*

Do you have a blog maybe with a donations button? You saved me quite a bit of cash today and donations would help you buy more escs for further development

Cheers simonk.
ben123 is offline Find More Posts by ben123
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:05 PM
Joined Dec 2005
679 Posts
I now have a secong ESC (HK 18A) failed after flasing with tgy.hex It happened when trying to lift off, the motor screamed and the quad flipped. After that there was no response from the ESC. Simon, if you are interested I could pass you the units for inspection, just send me a PM.
nikivan is offline Find More Posts by nikivan
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:39 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Hi Nick,
Also Ohm test the motor windings to make sure they all show about 30 Ohms in any combination. Less than that on any winding set or different values could indicate a motor shorting issue that is taking out the ESCs. Do you run your motor wires or ESC power wires over 12 in/30cm?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikivan View Post
I now have a secong ESC (HK 18A) failed after flasing with tgy.hex It happened when trying to lift off, the motor screamed and the quad flipped. After that there was no response from the ESC. Simon, if you are interested I could pass you the units for inspection, just send me a PM.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:30 PM
Droner
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, CPH
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Do you run your motor wires or ESC power wires over 12 in/30cm?
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
What if you do?
SebastianJ is offline Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:06 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,588 Posts
Hi Sebastian,
Nothing will happen immediately There has been an ongoing debate on the the length of ESC power and motor wires.

Here are the facts:
Motor wires: The issues are the back EMF on motor wires that are too long. There is nothing you can do about the back EMF on the motor wires which is really bad for the fast update rates with like on our multicopter ESC's. Keeping them under 12inches is a good best practice to minimize thie back EMF which can cause erratic motor behavior that will show up as oscillations or glitches. Braiding the motor wires to keep EMF minimized is also a good best practice.

ESC wires:
The main issue is ripple current and spikes from ESC power wires that are too long which is after about 30-40cm. This ripple current will damage solid state devices, i.e., Vreg, processor, FETs over time if not buffered properly with low Equivalent Series Resistance(ESR) electrolytic capacitors. Conventional engineering wisdom is to double the voltage rating of the capacitor of the voltage that is used as the power source to make sure they are stable over time in the relatively hostile environment that they are used. The values for proper buffering for ESCs are between 270-1000uf. It is recommended that another capacitor be added for each 20cm length of power wire to the ESC's.

Note that I have not had an issue with failing ESC's in 8 years with wire runs of 30-40cm on each arm of my multicopters. I always run the ESC power wires long and keep the motor wires short and in the cooling prop wash. I braid and twist all wires to minimize EMF that can affect compass and magnometers and GPS data.

See the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index Wiring Info for multicopters --TIP 1: and the info links there for more specific details.

Cheers,
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas10an View Post
What if you do?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Nov 14, 2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:41 AM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Thanks Jim,

I realize that I read this like a 100 times already, somehow it just slips right through

I always run long ESC wires and short motor wires, I like to keep the ESC as close to the motor as possible for cooling, it'll extend both flight time and ESC life.
Speaking of which, new kids on the block for micro multis, comes with Atmel chip and yes, it has programming pads

Sebastian
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsky
prop-saver
fail.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:50 AM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
I wish someone would produce something like this in the 50-60gr. class.

Check out the ESC, still Atmel and programming pads.
It'll fit like a glove under a good old Blue wonder.

Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:55 AM
Droner
Joined Mar 2006
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
fail.
You are right, prop savers suck, I'd swap the axle and use real prop adaptors, but then again, too much hassle.