any help is welcome,
thanks
lipus is offline Find More Posts by lipus
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:54 PM
RC Farmer
Joined Aug 2011
418 Posts
From the diodes it looks like N-fet design...
Farmer_Joe is online now Find More Posts by Farmer_Joe
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:17 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Folks-

Much water has been under the bridge in the short time (but many pages) since this thread has begun. It seems like most of the necessary info is in the first post, but the download instructions don't jibe. I'm assuming that I go to the downloads area, get the most recent zip file, extract tgy.hex from there and use it to flash my tgy compatible ESC.

Would that be correct?

Rick

PS- I imagine what I'm asking has been elucidated somewhere in these 207 pages, but I figure it's more efficient to ask rather than trying to filter the whole thread.
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:36 PM
Master of Flash
Alsdorf/Eifel, Germany
Joined Jun 2005
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Question...
I've getting ready to try flashing some ESCs. I know what firmware to use and have built a programmer cable. I've used the Lazy Zero program to flash KK boards with success and was thinking of using it for the ESC flash too. My question comes with the fuses. Do I need to set some fuses (manually) after flashing or does the Lazy Zero and TGY programming do that for me? Thanks.

edit: Just reread the instructions on the first post. The newest firmware doesn't need any fuse settings, so all I need to do is flash and go. Is that correct?
Kkflashtool doesn't touch the fuses. You just need to select the right firmware according to the spreadsheet posted in post #1.

Best Christian
LazyZero is offline Find More Posts by LazyZero
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:47 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyZero View Post
Kkflashtool doesn't touch the fuses. You just need to select the right firmware according to the spreadsheet posted in post #1.

Best Christian
Thanks. Your program was the easiest to use when flashing my KK boards. Thanks for developing it...much, much simplier.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:53 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
Folks-

Much water has been under the bridge in the short time (but many pages) since this thread has begun. It seems like most of the necessary info is in the first post, but the download instructions don't jibe. I'm assuming that I go to the downloads area, get the most recent zip file, extract tgy.hex from there and use it to flash my tgy compatible ESC.

Would that be correct?

Rick

PS- I imagine what I'm asking has been elucidated somewhere in these 207 pages, but I figure it's more efficient to ask rather than trying to filter the whole thread.
Yes it is, github has changed it's layout since then so the first post is a bit confusing regarding the download page, but I figured people will/should manage on their own, or they are in for many more problems when actually doing the flashing

Good luck with your ESC
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:18 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nek View Post
Yes it is, github has changed it's layout since then so the first post is a bit confusing regarding the download page, but I figured people will/should manage on their own, or they are in for many more problems when actually doing the flashing

Good luck with your ESC
Thanks NEK- just wanted to make sure before I let the magic smoke out of anything. "Measure twice, cut once" you know.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Jun 2010
483 Posts
Just flashed x4 Hobby King SS 18-20A esc's with the tp.hex file. Once I got the first one done, the next three were easy (well, aside from my iron dying on me ughhh). All work so far. Will be putting them on my quad in 1-2 weeks (or when ever my things from China show up)

Word of advise to those with old eyes, get an esc with the little tabs. You do not want to solder on the ATML chip pins. I have excellent vision, and I really really had to look verrry close. haha
mamba max1 is offline Find More Posts by mamba max1
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2010
221 Posts
Ok, found that MT3506 motors seem to like "High" timing on the ESC. Simon, is it possible for you to generate a .hex with the equivalent of "High" timing? I downloaded all the AVR tools and then started looking at your code and realized I'm spending a lot of time spinning up on all the AVR stuff when all I need is to change a couple of values in your code. Would be great if you could assist on that!

Thx,
Ron
wingspinner is offline Find More Posts by wingspinner
Old Apr 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,634 Posts
Has anyone here flashed 12s 120A opto esc? Maybe the ZTW or erc brand?

timecop you know anything about them?
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:40 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspinner View Post
Ok, found that MT3506 motors seem to like "High" timing on the ESC. Simon, is it possible for you to generate a .hex with the equivalent of "High" timing? I downloaded all the AVR tools and then started looking at your code and realized I'm spending a lot of time spinning up on all the AVR stuff when all I need is to change a couple of values in your code. Would be great if you could assist on that!
Hello! I have had a few requests for this, so I will try it, but I don't really think it's going to fix it entirely, even if it does help. I think stock firmwares typically use repeating timers for commutation and update them after several zero-crossings, which can work around one or a couple of erroneous crossing detections. My tree and quax' original code always waits for the crossing before starting the timing wait and then commutation. So, it might help because the demagnetization might take less and cause less interference with the zero-crossing detection, but if it's possible to avoid being misled by it to begin with, this would be a better solution. More soon..
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:14 PM
Portugal, Porto, Maia
Joined Sep 2011
24 Posts
can anyone help me identify theses ESCs?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3096
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
They look good. Nfet design.
Do your homework and trace the gate signals.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2010
221 Posts
Hi Simon,
Today I, reluctantly, changed out my Hobby King re-flashed 30 a ESC's for non-flashed units that were programmed with "HIGH" timing. No startup problems and no ticks, buzzes, etc. This may not be all of the problem but it's demonstrated to me that it's a major portion of the problem with regards to the mt3506. I'd love to try your code with "HIGH" timing.

Cheers,
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hello! I have had a few requests for this, so I will try it, but I don't really think it's going to fix it entirely, even if it does help. I think stock firmwares typically use repeating timers for commutation and update them after several zero-crossings, which can work around one or a couple of erroneous crossing detections. My tree and quax' original code always waits for the crossing before starting the timing wait and then commutation. So, it might help because the demagnetization might take less and cause less interference with the zero-crossing detection, but if it's possible to avoid being misled by it to begin with, this would be a better solution. More soon..
wingspinner is offline Find More Posts by wingspinner
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:41 PM
Portugal, Porto, Maia
Joined Sep 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
They look good. Nfet design.
Do your homework and trace the gate signals.
thanks tc

i'm an electronics ignorant, but i'll try to get help from a friend