SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:28 PM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
This sounds sweet! Specially since I use RCtimer 20As. Thanks for the great write up and info. You mentioned that plush ESCs should work too. I have a set of plush 6As on my mini Tcopter. How can I tell if this FW will work on them?

Will it work on any ESC that uses an Atmega8?

Thanks again!
pinball is offline Find More Posts by pinball
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:23 PM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
It worked just fine on my Plush 10A which is old Atmega8 based, see the picture.
Finally that annoying 8kHz whine from the motors is gone, and motors are very smooth.
Why didn't I do that before?

Thank you so much everyone who made it possible, quax, Simon, timecop, Nek, and others.

For the reference: pads are (from top to bottom on the picture) - MOSI, MISO, SCK, GND, VCC, RESET, in same order as other ESC.
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:43 PM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
Nice! Did you notice a performance gain; ie more stable due to the better update rate? I might have to pull the shrink off my 6A and see whats under there.

Pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but is there any way to use an FTDI to do this? I'm at work for the next 2 weeks and have an FTDI and my mini Tcopter with me...
Old Oct 01, 2011, 09:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
No you need a proper AVR programmer
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,478 Posts
Can any one do this for me for a fee? I do not have the materials or the skills to do this. I will buy the esc's and send them to you. Please PM me if you can help.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Last edited by milo12; Oct 04, 2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2011, 10:39 PM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
No you need a proper AVR programmer
Thought so. Thanks.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 12:28 AM
Sudden Freak
Atlanta, GA
Joined Oct 2006
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Nice! Did you notice a performance gain; ie more stable due to the better update rate? I might have to pull the shrink off my 6A and see whats under there.

Pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but is there any way to use an FTDI to do this? I'm at work for the next 2 weeks and have an FTDI and my mini Tcopter with me...
I just did a quick check to see if ESCs are working so haven't done full comparison tests yet, it will take a while, don't have much spare time. But I'm pretty sure there will be some improvements as reported by others. Just not having that stupid high pitched noise anymore alone worth the conversion!

Yes, timecop is right, you need special AVR programmer, one of the cheapest one is USBasp, but there are others, including the method of converting Arduino board into AVR ISP programmer.
I just had AVRISP mkII in hand, so I used it to reprogram ESC.
c2po is offline Find More Posts by c2po
Old Oct 02, 2011, 01:33 AM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
Thanks for the links. Found this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USBASP-USB-I...ht_4770wt_1396

Looks like the same thing only cheaper.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:29 AM
Joined Sep 2011
153 Posts
hey,
i have a question:
are the rctimer 18A the escs like the hobbywing 18A?
Cheers
Alex
edge0xc is offline Find More Posts by edge0xc
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Yes
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:40 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I've been running my copter on RCtimer ESCs for ages in lipo cutoff mode and just monitoring my flight times and landing before cut-off. Does anyone know If I will have to re-calibrate the throttle if I hook them up to a program card and change the setting to NiMH?
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I think so. I remember I calibrated throttle on one then forgot I didn't card program it, went back to do card setting, then throttle got reset. You can easily check with some FC that allows sending motor test pulses like CopterControl or similar. But just to be safe I'd recalibrate.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:37 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
I've been running my copter on RCtimer ESCs for ages in lipo cutoff mode and just monitoring my flight times and landing before cut-off. Does anyone know If I will have to re-calibrate the throttle if I hook them up to a program card and change the setting to NiMH?
That is another plus of that firmware, no need to calibrate the ESC anymore, they are set on standard 1000/2000 range!!

Pinball can you post a close up pic of your ESC, the side that has the Atmega8?
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Oct 02, 2011, 02:38 PM
USA, AK, Soldotna
Joined Jan 2005
562 Posts
I might be able to pull the shrink off of one tonight. I will post pics then.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 03:15 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nek View Post
That is another plus of that firmware, no need to calibrate the ESC anymore, they are set on standard 1000/2000 range!!

Pinball can you post a close up pic of your ESC, the side that has the Atmega8?
It was a kind of off topic question. I'm not going to re-flash my ESCs, I just want to program them with the program card. I may get round to flashing them at some point in the future, but it would be really annoying to try and do that with them hardwired into my hexa.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove