HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:15 PM
France
Joined Nov 2003
278 Posts
Hi,
I flew during the week end on a quad and hexa_H with new tgy firmware, Flyboard converter (modified), MK FC2.0.
Settings were those as I indicated above (Ultra PWM).
I can definitely report that ultra PWM reduces woobles compare to fastPPM.
obor is offline Find More Posts by obor
Last edited by obor; Oct 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:45 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDreamer View Post
I can't get the flashing to work! As I am a beginner in AVR programming it's probably my fault. I bought the usbasp (http://www.fundf.net/usbasp/) and built it successfully (?). When using avrdude or eXtreme burner I get the message "error connecting to chip".

I have double checked the pads on the RCTimer 18A ESC, and they are in the same order as on the Turnigy/Hobbywing 25A shown on the first page.

Some questions:
* Am I connecting the MISO/MOSI pins correctly? MISO ATmega8 - MISO Programmer, and MOSI ATmega8 - MOSI Programmer? Or should it be the other way around?
* Do I need to supply separate power to the ESC when programming? I have tried without power, with power from a LIPO, and with power supplied by the USB port. Same result - I cannot connect!

The driver is installed. The green LED is on when connected to the computer. The red LED flashes when running the avrdude commands. When specifying a lower speed the red LED flashes (visibly) for a longer period of time.

I'm grateful for any help you can give me!
The pins should be labelled the same on each side.

All boards are different, but you're usually best off flashing the thing either with it completely disconnected and and VCC supplied via the pads; however, sometimes this will backfeed to the capacitor via the 5V regulator and won't supply enough current power supplied to it, so some boards are happier with external power and just VCC sense back to the programmer. If it still doesn't work, most of the time the problem is a bad connection, and I usually check pulses with the scope at that point.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Oct 16, 2011, 08:50 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by obor View Post
Hi,
I flew during the week end on a quad and hexa_H with new tgy firmware, Flyboard converter, MK FC2.0.
Settings were those as I indicated above (Ultra PWM).
I can definitely report that ultra PWM reduces woobles compare to fastPPM.
Depending on the converter, there could be ~1ms of extra delay while waiting for the signal to go low to determine how long the next pulse is. The KK board code usually calculates the next signal length while the starting 1ms high pulse is being sent, so it really shouldn't be that different. Converters could work the same way unless they are synchronous...I guess that would be difficult unless they phase lock timing with the sending side, so maybe that's why. Anyway, it's still only 1ms, so I'm surprised it can be noticed.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:19 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Quote:
I can't get the flashing to work! As I am a beginner in AVR programming it's probably my fault. I bought the usbasp (http://www.fundf.net/usbasp/) and built it successfully (?). When using avrdude or eXtreme burner I get the message "error connecting to chip".

I have double checked the pads on the RCTimer 18A ESC, and they are in the same order as on the Turnigy/Hobbywing 25A shown on the first page.

Some questions:
* Am I connecting the MISO/MOSI pins correctly? MISO ATmega8 - MISO Programmer, and MOSI ATmega8 - MOSI Programmer? Or should it be the other way around?
* Do I need to supply separate power to the ESC when programming? I have tried without power, with power from a LIPO, and with power supplied by the USB port. Same result - I cannot connect!

The driver is installed. The green LED is on when connected to the computer. The red LED flashes when running the avrdude commands. When specifying a lower speed the red LED flashes (visibly) for a longer period of time.

I'm grateful for any help you can give me!
What errors is AVRDude giving you?
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:55 AM
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nek View Post
What errors is AVRDude giving you?
It's giving me this error message:

Quote:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m8 -U flash:w:tgy.hex -F

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA is 1E 93 07
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed
To disable this feature, specify the -D option.

avrdude done. Thank you.
I did suspect that a bad connection was giving me problems, but now I have the flat cable wires from the programmer connector directly soldered to the pads on the ESC. Still no connection.
XDreamer is online now Find More Posts by XDreamer
Old Oct 17, 2011, 03:48 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
humm yeah it really looks like a bad connection. On one of the ESC I tried flashing and had a lost connection midflash I had this invalid device signature issue so I erased the chip and tried again and got it to work.

But this will clear the stock firmware so you better manage flashing it

Use this command to go into terminal mode:

Code:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m8 -tuF
then type
Code:
erase
hit enter

then type
Code:
quit
then try again.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:51 AM
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nek View Post
humm yeah it really looks like a bad connection. On one of the ESC I tried flashing and had a lost connection midflash I had this invalid device signature issue so I erased the chip and tried again and got it to work.

But this will clear the stock firmware so you better manage flashing it

Use this command to go into terminal mode:

Code:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m8 -tuF
then type
Code:
erase
hit enter

then type
Code:
quit
then try again.
Thanks! I will try that when I get home.

Don't think it will work though, as I have already tried erasing the chip in eXtremeBurner.

I believe the problem lies in my home-built uspasp. My soldering doesn't look that professional... A new $4 programmer from ebay is probably my next move.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:10 AM
France
Joined Nov 2003
278 Posts
The converter is modified of course (I forgot to say that in my previous post). The ~1ms has been reduced to 100usec, so there is a new pulse going out to the controller every 1.4msec, which is about 1/3 quicker than fast PWM. The converter takes its input from I2C, which is lot quicker on that side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Depending on the converter, there could be ~1ms of extra delay while waiting for the signal to go low to determine how long the next pulse is. The KK board code usually calculates the next signal length while the starting 1ms high pulse is being sent, so it really shouldn't be that different. Converters could work the same way unless they are synchronous...I guess that would be difficult unless they phase lock timing with the sending side, so maybe that's why. Anyway, it's still only 1ms, so I'm surprised it can be noticed.
obor is offline Find More Posts by obor
Old Oct 17, 2011, 04:26 PM
Joined May 2010
85 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! I will try that when I get home.
And now I have tried, to no avail.

I see there is no 5 V voltage on pin 2 of the 10 pin header. Must fix that!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
I flashed four 20A rc timer motors with this method. It all went well but I flashed tgy.hex what is the difference between it and tgy 2011-10-12.hex is tgy hex if I did it wrong Ill unshrink wrap again.
demonova is offline Find More Posts by demonova
Last edited by demonova; Oct 17, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:15 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Well I had tgy.hex running on my RCT 30A.

I just switched to tgy 2011-10-12.hex on some RCT 18A ESC and here is what I noticed on a really quick 2min flight.

1st it is even more quiet, incredible noise at low throttle.

I seem to have less "power" on the motors. I used to have my tricopter hover at 50% stick, which is like 40% throttle on my curve and I am now a little bit higher on the stick, but my curve is very flat so it is most likely a few % difference in "power".

Also to note my ESC are now heating up just a little bit, like barely warm, where as the 30A used to run dead cold. Makes sense since I downsized to 18A. Still very cool tho.

So yeah so far I really like the newer tgy 2011-10-12.hex
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:19 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
I will try flashing the RCT 18A with the old tgy.hex to see if my power and flight time comes back. Right now I can really feel a power difference between the 2 firmwares, weird...
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:16 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
I am using the 02-10-11 version, my 18 amp HW get quite warmish, I was going to move to the 12-10-11 but I shall wait until you report back Nek,

is the undated tgy.hex 15khz too?
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:49 AM
Nek
DIY O.G.
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Well maybe simon should look into the latest tgy 2011-10-12.hex firmware as it seems it has a clear loss of power and more heating of the ESC compared to the old undated tgy.hex

I can confirm this on my tricopter. I switched from RCT 30A with tgy.hex to RCT 18A with tgy 2011-10-12.hex.

I had a clear loss of 10% power, heat on the 18A ESC and shorter flight times by a good 2-3 minutes.

I flashed tgy.hex on the RCT 18A and I am back to the same performance, flight time and cool running ESC just like I had on the 30A and tgy.hex

This leads me to think that it is definitely something with the firmware and not the amp rating or the ESCs.

Right now I would advise to stick to the tgy.hex

Again thanks simon for still working on this code!!!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:40 AM
Ironbridge (UK)
Joined Jan 2009
3,965 Posts
Nek: can you test the 02-10-11 version? to compare it
Joshbb is offline Find More Posts by Joshbb