HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4Rd3n View Post
just want to tell you that blueseries 20A don't like cold weather.
3 of 4 beep when i let them for 5min out in 0C
i will try to plasti dip them. but i don't expect wonders
which component causes this ?
they have an external oscillator.
frustrating.
I've heard so many reports like this of escs not liking the cold. There seems to be no common reason...
Andrew Radford is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Radford
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:43 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedfusion View Post
That is the thing that is confusing me. They HobbyKing F-30A all have the same number on the FETS, so I assume that they are all nfets. However, if I flash with the bs_nfet.hex I do not get any beeps, whereas if I flash with the bs.hex, I do get the beeps.

I am not talking about the mystery ESC's i posted a few posts back, but these ones:

The closest IC I can choose to flash from the AVR is 'Atmega88' - not sure why there is not an 'Atmega8'

Cheers

ice.
Its definitely bs-nfet because I flashed a bunch of them.
Does it beep if you power cycle the esc after flashing?
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,427 Posts
does anyone have a confirmed current source to buy 10a or 12a escs that can be flashed? preferably with the 6 pins in a row configuration and without needing to recompile the source.

i got a small stockpile of tgy 12a before realizing they were all silabs

looking for the smaller 10/12a (like the tgy 12a profile).

thanks!
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:00 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Why are most of the ESC's going from Atmega to Silabs? Are they better chips, or just cheaper?
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Cheaper, easier to route, better performance, hardware pwm.
At least in theory.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Cheaper, easier to route, better performance, hardware pwm.
At least in theory.
is there any away around the throttle smoothing used in these new ESCs?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:14 PM
Switzerland, VS, Oberems
Joined Apr 2010
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Radford View Post
I've heard so many reports like this of escs not liking the cold. There seems to be no common reason...
that is not all. after they got too cold once, the throttle end points are totally elsewhere than where i have set them.

they are flashed with the latest firmware and work great in warm temperatures.
but it is winter now and i can not use them.
i am willing to change them with anyone who lives in a hot country
w4Rd3n is offline Find More Posts by w4Rd3n
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:17 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Anyone flashing these for sale for example 30A or higher?
This is from a previous post. You have to ask him when you order for the simonk flash on them. I don't know if he charges extra. up to 30a I think.

http://www.quadroufo.com/product_inf...366lqq1o6n2el1
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
This is from a previous post. You have to ask him when you order for the simonk flash on them. I don't know if he charges extra. up to 30a I think.

http://www.quadroufo.com/product_inf...366lqq1o6n2el1
Thank you.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:22 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,263 Posts
TC,
Yep. It appears they are all N-FETs: http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...ED85A3_08.html

Not sure why he gets the beeps on the bs.hex and not bs-nfet.hex??

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Its definitely bs-nfet because I flashed a bunch of them.
Does it beep if you power cycle the esc after flashing?
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:19 PM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icedfusion View Post
I have just tried flashing a HobbyKing F-30A. THe spreadsheet and also the flash tool, wants to flash the bs_nfet.hex file. However, if I flash bs_nfet.hex, I do not get a 'beep'. If I flash the bs.hex file, I get a beep when it finishes flashing and I also get 'beeps' when I power it on.
Do you mean a beep from the motor or a beep from the FETs on the board and/or your power supply? It definitely should be beeping at the motor..

I have no idea why you couldn't find the right target, but it definitely should be an ATmega8. That board looks just like mine, and the "bs" target shorts the FETs on mine, so I don't know how it could beep for you...
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:11 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,463 Posts
Hobbypartz Proton 30

I had a request from TomSnOw to post pictures of the Proton 30 amps ESCs.

Looks to me to be the same as whats marked "HobbyWing 25 amp" on the first page of this thread.

Flashed with tgy.hex, haven't flown with them yet, but seem to run very good (and quiet).
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Last edited by Art Newland; Jan 25, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
555 Posts
OLDER VERSION HobbyKing Blue Series 30A

Likewise, TomSnow asked if I would post pictures of mine.

Tom - I noticed that your googledocs spreadsheet already has the information on the ESC's I used, but I am posting the pictures anyway, in case it can somehow help someone.

I flew mine tonight while they were coupled with my FF Freeflight board. Sure enough, they sure sound quiet and the bird flew quite well - very docile.

I appreciate the help shared in these forums!
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Feb 2007
42 Posts
Hi Simon, here is crash report:

Something gone wrong with my hexa and reflashed HK40A while hovering. Here is back camera, x-hexa, looks like one middle motor in left group (left center, N5) stopped the rotation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOYURrUhIOc

I tried to repeat the accident with simple device (servo + thread, connected to dedicated receiver channel):

This servo allow me to remotely disconnect PWM signal jack from N5 ESC. After that N5 motor stops rotation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VezIdnQShA

So i'm sure motor stops spinning for some reason. The differences between two videos is sound. In first video it was something like squeal just before hexa leaned. In second video it just slowing down rpm's (please do not pay attention to the servo sound on second video). Here is wavelab sound pictures for two videos:

I think the controller lost sync with motor. But why? Only 11-12A on hovering. I tested this ESC/motor/Propeller pair today with up to 52A peak current on full thrust without any problems:
Motor Pulso (same as Axi) 2820/14 860kv 140 grams
Battery 4S 5000 30C
Propeller JXF 13x6
ESC Hobbyking Blueseries HK40A (code Tz40a)
CopterControl main board, PWM rate 400HZ, only signal wires connected to ESC's

Firmware from tgy_2012-01-04_d8a3f89.zip with modified Fet/Sense pinout according to hardware as i mentioned above.

Never got such problem with mikokopter hexa (1hoch4 ESC) and same motor/prop/battery before.

Any ideas?
Cossacs is offline Find More Posts by Cossacs
Last edited by Cossacs; Jan 24, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:21 AM
hacker
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Dec 2010
934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossacs View Post
Something gone wrong with my hexa and reflashed HK40A while hovering. Here is back camera, x-hexa, looks like one middle motor in left group (left center, N5) stopped the rotation:
First of all, that is an awesome crash on demand rig. I will listen to the sound tomorrow (no speakers currently), but is that the same motor as you were having acceleration problems with before? I suspect I need to do some testing with that board and/or motor combination. I am not sure why you don't see it in your own testing, though.

If you can find a way to reproduce it, I would try the version before the dynamic ZC filtering (like as of baa5b756 -- you can download the source for that by hitting https://github.com/sim-/tgy/zipball/...f2cd4f18a761d3 ). First, work around the timing bug since 8a39bb46c by cherry-picking 36091ee5 or just throw about 4 "nop"s after "rcall set_ocr1a" in update_timing. That will also work around the bug. Then, you can try your .inc file, and see if it behaves better or worse.

If you're using git, you can run: git clone git://github.com/sim-/tgy.git && cd tgy && git checkout baa5b756 && git cherry-pick 36091ee5 ...then copy over your .inc file and build it. Let me know if that helps, though again, I'll listen tomorrow.
simonk is offline Find More Posts by simonk