HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
Scotland
Joined May 2005
2,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
hello i want to build the smallest quad/hex available. what is the smallest ESC that has pads?
New Turnigy Plush 6a, but it only has four pads and an SiLabs C8051F334 chip!
George Shering is offline Find More Posts by George Shering
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
well that stinks. is this firmware really necessary or will it still fly pretty good with stock turnigy plush 6A??

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_2000kv.html

here is my motor. will get 4 or 6 of them. unless you have better suggestions. 80g thrust with 5x3 on 2S battery.
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,663 Posts
Quote:
well that stinks. is this firmware really necessary or will it still fly pretty good with stock turnigy plush 6A??

here is my motor. will get 4 or 6 of them. unless you have better suggestions. 80g thrust with 5x3 on 2S battery.
A few years back I picked up a jeti mini 8a esc from HL. It looks good to flash but no pads. Not cheap at HL.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/advance_p..._2967_prd1.htm

What about CC thunderbird series?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/thunderbi..._7159_prd1.htm
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,671 Posts
I would say you either have capacitors or cold solder joints that are sensitive to temp. If you had internal osc it too would be sensitive to temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4Rd3n View Post
this has nothing to do with the capacitor. this would also make no sense..
i tried something
in my room it is around 22°C. i took my quad out where it was around -2°C. waited about 5mins and then plugged in the battery. beep(normal) beep(low) beep(high) beep(high) beep(high)....beep(high) from two esc's...
when i plug them in without throttle low then it is like beep(normal) beep(low) nothing until i put my throttle to a lower (arming) position.
strange because blueseries have an external crystal?

Edit:// some tests so far:
2 of my esc's are beeping like crazy when i let them outdoors in the cold, take them back in my room, and connect a battery?
i let them warm up a bit. after 5min i did connect my battery. they did stop beeping but anyway i am not able start the motor anymore?
i noticed that they are waiting for a throttle high signal. this illustrates that my low throttle point has moved down and i can not reach it without recalibrating throttle end points.
but why do they beep when they have cold ??? and why only 2 of my 4 esc's have this behavior ?

would be great if someone has an answer for me
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:53 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,671 Posts
It will fly fairly well with the silabs based esc. Better in fact than some of the unflashed atmel based esc.

Quote:

Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Apr 2011
125 Posts
Hi, just reflashed 4 brand new Mystery 30A BEC Brushless Speed Controller (Blue Series) from HK (ordered on 1/2/12) - seems to work well! i reflashed them with bs.hex...

Will test on my tri as soon as it warms up a bit ;-)

Thanks for great work!
igorek82 is offline Find More Posts by igorek82
Last edited by igorek82; Jan 23, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pug398 View Post
It will fly fairly well with the silabs based esc. Better in fact than some of the unflashed atmel based esc.
link to the silabs version? or is that what the turnigy 6a plush is now?

Dynam/Detrum 30A ESC

Has programming pads

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dye-1003-30a-esc.html

Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I think you meant the 2nd pic to be the top side.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
sorry
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:19 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,671 Posts
Unknown what you will get from hobbyking. If you want silabs then get hobbywing 6A esc or the last proton 6A from hobbypartz were silabs chip. On my larger motors nothing can match the smoothness of the reflashed esc but currently having problems with smooth startup of micro motors like you linked to. Currently running silabs esc on micro quads without problems and hoping to put flashed esc on my new hopped up CF micro quad
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:44 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,671 Posts
What I use to do 6A without pads. Just waiting for something else to try
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:39 PM
Nashville TN
Joined Jan 2011
229 Posts
This is what I have been using for connection to the ESCs... Made from some InstaMorph, 0.5mm drill bit, wire wrap wire and a good microscope to see with.

The one on the left is for the eRC 25A and the right is for the HK BS 20A.
BrokenRotor is offline Find More Posts by BrokenRotor
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:00 PM
Deutschland, Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
Just had a look to shortly bought HK SS 18/20 NON programmable.

unfortunately there are no pads on it, and the atmega8 is just half the size of the atmega on f.e. blueseries.

so, no chance for me to solder the wires properly - i would just destroy the ESC.....although i already soldered wires to blueseries without problem.

but maybe here are some more skilled solderers, that might be interested in some info, as the esc is very cheap and often available in german warehouse....

hk ss 18/20 seem to match towerpro 17A, they have a 16mhz oscillator and can be used with other firmware.

someone with more solder-skill already did it ---> https://sites.google.com/site/donuts...simple-esc---2
alteskind is offline Find More Posts by alteskind
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:29 AM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRotor View Post
This is what I have been using for connection to the ESCs... Made from some InstaMorph, 0.5mm drill bit, wire wrap wire and a good microscope to see with.

The one on the left is for the eRC 25A and the right is for the HK BS 20A.
Thanks, that is exactly what I have been looking for. I checked at a couple of craft stores locally and they all looked at me like I was nuts. How could they know.

I ordered some right away. The Suppo ESC's I had mentioned earlier are totally worthless for multi-rotor's until flashed. They have no method of calibrating the throttle end points. The first take off was interesting. Never ground flipped one before.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:07 AM
I don't speak German ....Yet !
Germany, Baden-Württemberg, Weissach im Tal
Joined Dec 2010
774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteskind View Post
Just had a look to shortly bought HK SS 18/20 NON programmable.

unfortunately there are no pads on it, and the atmega8 is just half the size of the atmega on f.e. blueseries.

so, no chance for me to solder the wires properly - i would just destroy the ESC.....although i already soldered wires to blueseries without problem.

but maybe here are some more skilled solderers, that might be interested in some info, as the esc is very cheap and often available in german warehouse....

hk ss 18/20 seem to match towerpro 17A, they have a 16mhz oscillator and can be used with other firmware.

someone with more solder-skill already did it ---> https://sites.google.com/site/donuts...simple-esc---2
I have just done a few of those small ones, If you want pm me and I am willing to take a chance to do them for you It's actually fun to do them ....with a great feeling of sanctification afterwards (if it was a success)
GrootWitBaas is offline Find More Posts by GrootWitBaas