HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:52 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainhook1 View Post
That's gonna be one big monster of a model!
She's big, for sure, Carey. Wingspan is 104". The planned weight is 20#. They suggest a motor that swings anything between an 18X6 to a 20X10.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:12 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,560 Posts
Looks great! Ikon kits aren't for everyone but I love 'em! The instruction manuals usually consist of 2 or three sheets of paper and, maybe, a photo sheet. They delineate the traps but otherwise you are almost scratch building. Before you pull the tail end together make sure the centerline on the plan isn't crooked. I had that happen to me building a Rearwin Speedster and had to undo some stuff to rid the 'banana fuse' effect.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:12 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,307 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

I've been getting my yard ready for Winter, but I hope to work on the Cessna today.

Emil calls for cutting the rear fuselage completely off, and then re-gluing it at the "bend." I hope to "crack" it, and then pull the sides together.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:41 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,307 Posts
The fuselage is finally joined !

After that, the stab was test fitted. The fin will glue into slots in the stab. When I dry fit the assembly, I found that it did not fit correctly to the fuselage.

I double checked the stab, fin, and rudder for correct size, over the plan view. I then measured the stab over the plan view of the fuselage side. According to that, it is 3/8" too long, chordwise.

Obviously, there is a discrepency in the plans. After looking at the problem, I think I can add 3/8" square stock to the fin post area, and everything should work out.

It'll be a while before I get to it, however. The fuselage front needs joining first. Then it will be on to the wing. I'll use the mounted wing to make sure that I mount the stab squarely.
Last edited by TomCrump; Oct 10, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:57 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
looking good, tom. and besides, 3/8" isn't that bad. should be a plotting problem.
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:54 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,307 Posts
You're the engineer, Will. I have no idea of what a plotting problem is. LOL

I do think I have a solution figured out, though.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:30 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,133 Posts
Perhaps it means Don is having a problem "plotting" how he is going to sneak tools out on his next visit
Just kiddin
Fred
Crowfly is offline Find More Posts by Crowfly
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:10 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,307 Posts
Good point, Fred !

Wil visits during his Summer, but that's our Winter. I'm not too sure that Don would leave a relatively warm New Mexico, to visit with Wil..........and steal my tools.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:37 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,307 Posts
Today, I joined the front of the fuselage sides. The firewall and nose ring were added, too.

I decided to power this model with a Bennett built G-38, which I robbed from my Focke Wulf 190D. The firwall was drilled for the mount, and blind nuts installed.

The nose looked like it could use a little beefing up. Triangle and square stock was added for extra support.

The plans didn't make sense, for the work that I did, placing the forward floor inside the nose pieces. To do this would require a lot of notching around the uprights. I just glued the floor to the bottom of the nose piece sides, and glued the unit to the fuselage. I had to "crack" the interior wall stiffeners, but it all fit well together, and provided a self aligning structure, with plenty of gluing surface.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:34 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,216 Posts
Tom looks like a great start to another fine project good luck with your build.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Oct 11, 2011, 06:38 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,307 Posts
Thanks, Bruce.

I'm doing what I like best......Gluing sticks together !!!

This kit is proving to be a challenge, but I'm enjoying myself.

The scarey part is that I have another IKON kit in the wings. The Locheed Vega is a favorite. I'm saving this kit until I feel confident that it will turn out well. It is a more complicated build than this Airmaster.
Last edited by TomCrump; Oct 11, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 05:49 AM
SLC, Ut
Joined Apr 2010
116 Posts
Looking good Tom, making some good progress. Those Ikon kits do cause some head scratching. The results are usually nice though. I've got an Ikon Monocoupe 90 to build someday when I feel "up to the challenge"!
yel914 is offline Find More Posts by yel914
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:28 AM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
At the rate you are going you will have this thing in the air before your flying season is over. Looks great!!

Trey
supercubman is offline Find More Posts by supercubman
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:53 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,307 Posts
Rick; I have the IKON Monocoupe. I didn't build her, but I can tell you that she flies very well. When you get to it, build a stronger, and easily accessable, landing gear. The original design is soft, allowing the model to "squat" after a few landings.

Trey; "in the air before flying season is over" ??? Although we have just experienced a week of incredible weather, it is coming to an end. Temps wil drop 20 degrees, and rain is moving in. I'm afraid that our flying season is about finished.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 07:03 AM
Slaton, TX
Joined Oct 2008
735 Posts
I have faith in you, Tom. BTW nice Monocoupe!

Trey
supercubman is offline Find More Posts by supercubman