HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:18 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
Discussion
newbie seeks lobster boat plans

Hello! I have searched far and wide for a plan for a rugged lobster boat for my grandson, a coastal Maine boy just 3 years old. He loves Grampy's sailboat model and we'd like to build a lobster boat for him, but we sure as heck don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a flimsy balsa wood job that he couldn't really enjoy. Besides, it would be cool if it could be radio controlled. Someone out there please help! Thank you so much,
Grammie
Grammie is offline Find More Posts by Grammie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:10 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,162 Posts
Lobster boat

Try to find one of the Midwest (now out of production) almost ready to run boats. They have a fiberglass hull, and a plastic board house. They look and run good. Probally set you back $250-$400, depending on condition,and seller.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:57 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
put a wanted add up for a lobster boat. The midwest lobster boat that is ARR has been out of production for a few years so they are tough to find but they also offer a kit which is 30" long made of balsa bass wood and ply which is epoxy and fiberglass coated. If you look at some of my pics I built the kit version as well as I bought the arr boat. Both are very nice.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:38 PM
Will fly for food
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined May 2011
532 Posts
What?! You want to adopt my family? I have a 3 y/o son and I'm sure HE would enjoy a boat, too!
ilektron is offline Find More Posts by ilektron
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:52 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,705 Posts
Bluejacket ship models has a kit with a fiberglass hull, which would be more rugged that a "flimsy balsa wood job." I am also quite sure that the late Dynamite Payson's book on building ship models includes a plan for a lobster boat that can be built from hardwoods. The plans can be scaled up to whatever size you want for your grandson. You can find Dynamite's book here: http://www.amazon.com/BOAT-MODELING-...7325424&sr=1-6

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:50 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,805 Posts
One of our club members makes a 30" fiberglass hull. You would still need plans but the hull puts you that much farther ahead. The hull was produced to make the Cranberry Isle pleasure boat version of a lobster boat.

I believe the hull is about $100.00 if I recall correctly. If you are interested you can PM me or e-mail to info@wimodelboats.org and I will give you his contact information.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Oct 13, 2011, 09:02 AM
Saint John, NB(East Coast) Canada
Joined Apr 2006
198 Posts
Cape Island LobsterBoat plans & Hulls

Those who have seen my works on here will know of my 33"X12" Cape Island (Novi-Style) lobsterboat fibreglass hulls. Many boats have been finished to be fine looking fishing, pleasure, and even Orca boats from Jaws. I sell the hand-laid fibreglass hulls for $120.00, with full size plans(with all templates for decking, cabin and wheelhouse) for an extra $10.00
-Plans alone(with all drawings to scratchbuild from wood) are $20.00
Price does not include shipping.
If you search my name, you will find a green lobsterboat I finished for a retiring local fisherman, and a good member on this forum, Charlie Eaton has also finished one off, Maine style.

-Greg Hiltz
Greg Hiltz is offline Find More Posts by Greg Hiltz
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:14 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,102 Posts
GRAMMIE, Here is a picture of my boat made from Greg's fiberglass hull. I did a build thread on the scale boat forum
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton