Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:08 AM
Go Navy!
USA, PA, Media
Joined Apr 2005
905 Posts
Discussion
Whole house power meter

I have been thinking about getting a whole house power meter, to see what is going on, and maybe be able to trim out some waste (and more smartly run my wood stove instead of the heat pump). Aside from that, being able to monitor power useage would just be pretty neat. I have been thinking of gettin ghte TED 5000, its not perfect, but it seems to be one of the best out there.

http://www.theenergydetective.com/about-ted

Does anyone have any experiance with it or with others?

Thanks!
Rick
maverick06 is offline Find More Posts by maverick06
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:24 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I have one of the individual power meters that a computer, TV, or microwave can be plugged into to determine the amount of watts it draws, including an average over a period of time. It was interesting to use but after checking a few items I took the battery out of it and put it in the closet. It, or the whole house version, provides good information to have, but in the end I found its not really going to change my usage behavior of the desktop computer that costs me 15 cents to leave on for 8 hours.

I did get my power meter at Costco on closeout for $6 when it had been selling for $25 so it did save me some money!
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:46 AM
Joined Jul 2006
298 Posts
Already have one...

You already have one. It hangs on the outside of the house and the power company reads it every month...
kf2qd is offline Find More Posts by kf2qd
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:14 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I see Black & Decker who made mine, also have a low-cost whole house version: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-E...7218960&sr=1-1
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:49 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts
Want one cheap? I have a B&D that the power company told me to remove-they didn't allow any attachments to meters. Worked fine though.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:33 AM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
250 Posts
Quote:
You already have one. It hangs on the outside of the house and the power company reads it every month.
And the new smart meter from SCE can be checked for the previous days usage on your account page .

Made me obsess about what vampires I have sucking the life out of my wallet.
Started looking at watt meters and TED($200)

Changed florescent fixtures to smaller more efficient, then plan to replace tv and appliances to the most efficient .
Step by step
Need to be ahead of the game when AB32 jacks up energy cost
debogus is offline Find More Posts by debogus
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:44 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
Want one cheap? I have a B&D that the power company told me to remove-they didn't allow any attachments to meters. Worked fine though.
You have one that attaches to your meter outside?
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:36 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debogus View Post
And the new smart meter from SCE can be checked for the previous days usage on your account page .
We have the new smart meter. I can check my energy usage in 15 minute increments from my computer. It can be interesting.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:42 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
I have one - it just clips over the incoming mains cable - works fine
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:44 PM
United States, NC, Hickory
Joined Oct 2010
28 Posts
My power company breaks down our usage. Granted it's after the fact but our habits are just that - pretty constant. Don't see what we could do to lower our already lower-than-average power bill short of ditching AC/heat.
dmanonbass is offline Find More Posts by dmanonbass
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:47 PM
Go Navy!
USA, PA, Media
Joined Apr 2005
905 Posts
Hmmm I would probably have taken you up on that... but I just bought the TED 5000 (i wanted one that logs without a computer up and running).

I am not sure if i have space in the circuit breaker though.... it ideally wants to plug into a dedicated 240 breaker.... You could piggyback it with existing single breakers, but that is likely not to code, although it isnt clear, as it is just taking it for reference, not power (whole house surge protecters can do this). Regardless I dont want to do that. might have to get 2 tandem breakers and consolidate some... will have to check when i get home.

Will it pay for its self - no, probably not, we are already running a pretty efficient house, or so I think... but we will be here for a while, so even if I can save $20/year, we will still be in the house when it pays for its self.
Will it be interesting - sure will!
maverick06 is offline Find More Posts by maverick06
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
We have the new smart meter. I can check my energy usage in 15 minute increments from my computer. It can be interesting.
15 min ? Not fair
Living in the green nazi mecca of Kalifornia I only get previous days and one hour.
Did learn the fridge has got to go and I dont care how much carbon it takes to haul that thief off
debogus is offline Find More Posts by debogus
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:38 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
I use the meter on my Outback mx-60 inverter to monitor my power use.

The major power users in my house are:

Capuccino maker=900w runs about 15 minutes/day
Washing machine= 700w runs about 1 hour/day

The statlite reciever is the biggest killer=about 50w for 24 hours/day if not unplugged.

On avergae we use about 6kw a day. Unlike you grid tied neanderthals, every bit of power use is critical to me.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:51 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post

On avergae we use about 6kw a day. Unlike you grid tied neanderthals, every bit of power use is critical to me.
I am a senior citizen and tight with my money. Last month I averaged right at 75 KWH per DAY. And if there was a way that I could get by with using less, I sure as heck would. I keep the thermostat higher than some others in the house would like it, I turn out the lights when I'm not in the room. I turn the computer off when I'm not using it. I sure wish I could save some, but I don't see how.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:56 PM
Suspended Account
USA, NV, Caliente
Joined Mar 2009
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
I am a senior citizen and tight with my money. Last month I averaged right at 75 KWH per DAY. And if there was a way that I could get by with using less, I sure as heck would. I keep the thermostat higher than some others in the house would like it, I turn out the lights when I'm not in the room. I turn the computer off when I'm not using it. I sure wish I could save some, but I don't see how.
Holy cow? 75kwh/day? Doing a lot of welding?

We live pretty sparse energy wise. Only 1-2 lights are on at any time, we cook with gas, heat with wood, very little computer, and some television.

I bet if you could heat with wood, it would help a lot. Besides, cutting/splitting wood is therapy for me and the wife, but as my back gets worse I wonder what will happen when we get old.
crypto666 is offline Find More Posts by crypto666