SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:08 AM
Newbie RC'r and member
United Kingdom, England, Haywards Heath
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
Discussion
2 Questions about Nine Eagles Solo Pro

1) Please tell me the problems with the solo pro servos on youtube are atleast 1 in 100 chance!

2) I have a micro 3 channel toy. i want to start 4 channel helis. I have a small apartmernt so i thought about getting the solo pro and practicing first before getting the Honey Bee v2. This is because i didnt want to attatch training gear and go outside to be ridiculed because of the extra attatchment!!!!! (because if i practice the micro 4 channel in my apartment, i wouldnt need the training gear for bee v2 for too long). So since they are roughly the same price, should i get bee v2 or solo pro THEN the bee v2??

Thanks in advance
felixthemaster is offline Find More Posts by felixthemaster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:18 AM
Addict of Everything
Perth, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
651 Posts
I'd actually pick one and skip the other. Both cover a fairly similar set of skills. One being more squirrely than the other but being more applicable to taking the next step up. If you had a good indoor area to fly either in FF (i.e. if your house is too small... [most are unless you are a billionaire... but then you'd have someone to fly heli's for you ]) then I'd be more inclined to get the HBFP. But if you don't, then pick the solo pro as you'd probably get more flight time on it than the HBFP.

A stock HBFP can fly pretty comfortably in winds up to ~10 m/s

I would add though that with the advent of super cheap clones, ridiculously good simulators and spectacularly durable things such as the mcpx, the HBFP is becoming harder and harder to justify it's place in the market. IF E-sky had released a brushless version by now that had a DD tail stock everyone would flock to it. But they never did. And now electronics have progressed.
yogibbear is offline Find More Posts by yogibbear
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:45 AM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,969 Posts
The Solo Pro has a 45 flybar so it's MUCH more stable than the Bee V2.
If you crash both into a tree at FFF you're not going to have to repair much if anything on the Solo Pro whereas the Bee V2 will cost you $5-$15 in parts, if you can find them.

I say get the Solo Pro. It's fun and fast and is a great step up from a 3 channel. When you're tired of it...sell it here for 75% of what you paid for it and put the money into a Fixed Pitch 4 or 6 channel with a 90 flybar.
JHawk19 is online now Find More Posts by JHawk19
Last edited by JHawk19; Sep 28, 2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:51 AM
Joined Sep 2011
20 Posts
Won't make a good statistic basis but my solo pro has no issue, flew right of the box without anything but light trimming (actually only one trim isn't really centered), fought against furnitures, wife and pilot inexperience without having much more to do than remove a couple of hairs from the tail rotor. I must be around 30 flights and nothing broken.

Small apartment so I can't push it but that thing is fast and I really like its smooth way of flying. Beginner mode is also very good for people a bit heavy on the sticks.

Once I master totally my Solo Pro (I'm nearly at one battery without crash ) I'll go for a Genius CP or a NE SP 180D (just like the look of it).
Coucou is offline Find More Posts by Coucou
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:51 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibbear View Post
I'd actually pick one and skip the other. Both cover a fairly similar set of skills. One being more squirrely than the other but being more applicable to taking the next step up. If you had a good indoor area to fly either in FF (i.e. if your house is too small... [most are unless you are a billionaire... but then you'd have someone to fly heli's for you ]) then I'd be more inclined to get the HBFP. But if you don't, then pick the solo pro as you'd probably get more flight time on it than the HBFP.

A stock HBFP can fly pretty comfortably in winds up to ~10 m/s

I would add though that with the advent of super cheap clones, ridiculously good simulators and spectacularly durable things such as the mcpx, the HBFP is becoming harder and harder to justify it's place in the market. IF E-sky had released a brushless version by now that had a DD tail stock everyone would flock to it. But they never did. And now electronics have progressed.
What is FF :P

i am a newbie
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
The Solo Pro has a 45 flybar so it's MUCH more stable than the Bee V2.
If you crash both into a tree at FFF you're not going to have to repair much if anything on the Solo Pro whereas the Bee V2 will cost you $5-$15 in parts, if you can find them.

I say get the Solo Pro. It's fun and fast and is a great step up from a 3 channel. When you're tired of it...sell it here for 75% of what you paid for it and put the money into a Fixed Pitch 4 or 6 channel with a 90 flybar.
"sell it here" do u mean advertise on forumz? but i dunno if my post office has the right size brown box to ship the heli and its box in it in. thats why i can never send items

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. i REALLY want the bee v2 because its the best i've researched soo far. Any other good 450 size electric 4ch helis good for beginners and is pretty fast? (cyclic rates which can be changed)

I just wondered about solo pro because i wanted to fly indoor to train for a 450 he.i. i guess i will use a flight simulator!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
404 Posts
FF = Forward Flight.
there a thread with all the bbreviations that folks here use. Ask me how I know, I read it after being totally confused with all the acronyms. Cheers, and have fun
PonyBoy1973 is offline Find More Posts by PonyBoy1973
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:05 PM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
Joined Nov 2010
199 Posts
Felixthemaster,

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I started with a Syma S107, and then moved up to an Esky Lama V4 (4ch Coaxial) which was actually a pretty big leap for me for the first few days because of the difference in power. I ended up buying Clearview RC simulator and building an HK450 with Flymentor (a unit that stabilizes the Heli somewhat like a Coaxial would) based on opinions of others on this site and I've never looked back.

I think coming from a 3ch heli, the HBFP V2 might be too much to handle. I'd recommend you go with the Solo Pro for now, and then maybe move up to a Walkera Genius or even a 450 sized Heli with some sort of stabilization unit like Flymentor. Another point with the Honey Bee FP, I heard a few months back that Esky was pulling out of the market. This is apparent as almost every single online store that once carried Esky Heli's and spares no longer has anything in stock. The pricing on the Honey bee may seem lucrative right now, but just imagine crashing (which you will, everyone does) and not being able to get parts. Thats $100 down the drain.
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:10 PM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
Felixthemaster,

I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I started with a Syma S107, and then moved up to an Esky Lama V4 (4ch Coaxial) which was actually a pretty big leap for me for the first few days because of the difference in power. I ended up buying Clearview RC simulator and building an HK450 with Flymentor (a unit that stabilizes the Heli somewhat like a Coaxial would) based on opinions of others on this site and I've never looked back.

I think coming from a 3ch heli, the HBFP V2 might be too much to handle. I'd recommend you go with the Solo Pro for now, and then maybe move up to a Walkera Genius or even a 450 sized Heli with some sort of stabilization unit like Flymentor. Another point with the Honey Bee FP, I heard a few months back that Esky was pulling out of the market. This is apparent as almost every single online store that once carried Esky Heli's and spares no longer has anything in stock. The pricing on the Honey bee may seem lucrative right now, but just imagine crashing (which you will, everyone does) and not being able to get parts. Thats $100 down the drain.
Then can u please give me a few suggestions for a 450 heli (i really want one :P) that meet the folowing specs
1) Electric
2) Easy, cheap parts
3) beginner (easy to fly and also for intermediate flyers)
4) popular enough to have lots of threads or disscusions on the internet of tips and improvements and also youtube video tutorials

thanks in advance
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:48 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthemaster View Post
Then can u please give me a few suggestions for a 450 heli (i really want one :P) that meet the folowing specs
1) Electric
2) Easy, cheap parts
4) popular enough to have lots of threads or disscusions on the internet of tips and improvements and also youtube video tutorials

thanks in advance
No such thing.

If you get a 450 sized heli...you're going to crash. You're going to spend 1/4 of what you paid for the heli, just to fix it. Just get something you can learn on. The Bee V2 is OK to learn on (not 450 sized), but it's a steep learning curve if you're coming from a 3 channel heli. I guarantee you won't get a V2 off the ground more than a foot in a week and not crash it.

Maybe try a MadHawk 300, CB180D, or CB180Z. Those are 250 sized or maybe 200 size and they are fun for outdoors and they are stable enough to learn on .
Last edited by JHawk19; Sep 28, 2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:49 PM
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
"sell it here" do u mean advertise on forumz? but i dunno if my post office has the right size brown box to ship the heli and its box in it in. thats why i can never send items
Yes, sell it here on the forums: http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-ele...helis-fs-w-44/

The post office always has a box big enough. If not, use any box you can find.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:56 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. i REALLY want the bee v2 because its the best i've researched soo far. Any other good 450 size electric 4ch helis good for beginners and is pretty fast? (cyclic rates which can be changed)

I just wondered about solo pro because i wanted to fly indoor to train for a 450 he.i. i guess i will use a flight simulator!
The honeybee fp is not 450 size, it's 300 size.

Quote:
1) Electric
2) Easy, cheap parts

thanks in advance
Short answer... no. If there was a heli that met all those requirements you'd bet there would be a ton of threads on it.

Going from a 3ch you're better off with the solo pro as others have suggested. If you're a masochist then get the hbfp.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:12 PM
Joined Sep 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Any other good 450 size electric 4ch helis good for beginners and is pretty fast? (cyclic rates which can be changed)
I hope you have a lot of open space, because a "fast" 450 will cover distance faster than you can think. And at that size it can hurt very badly.

The main issue with "fast" flying things (plane or heli) is that you'll overcorrect and crash. That's not for nothing that many people start planes with a "slow stick".

And you'll also spend nearly more time in maintenance and repairs than flying with such big things. Not that it is bad, but you gotta make sure you have a taste for it !
Coucou is offline Find More Posts by Coucou
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:22 PM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
Joined Nov 2010
199 Posts
+1 to what Coucou said. The 450's are collective pitch Heli's, and I can attest to the fact that they're fast and need constant repairs (because Im a noob). I highly recommend you get the new Solo Pro or even the Solo Pro 328. Both are built very well and will withstand crashes much better than the bigger birds.
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:03 AM
Newbie RC'r and member
Joined Sep 2011
207 Posts
Thanks for everything guys. You ROCK! i guess i will wait another time to get a hbv2!