SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:27 AM
Joined Dec 2010
24 Posts
Question
Multiplex Cockpit TX for Left Hand launch

I am a left handed DLG flyer with a Cockpit M-link TX and have used the Mike Shellim tutorial workaround to get an elevator launch preset using the right hand TX button (throttle cut button). Use free mixer to assign elevator to throttle, use servo centre to set elev "preset", use mixer to bring elevator down to flight trim - press the throttle cut and elevator pops up to "preset". Very cunning but......

I have had a few narrow escapes with the model nearly mowing a strip of lawn in front of me– when I inspect it I find the elevator incidence “mysteriously” changed to pitch down. I am not sure if I fully understood the implications of the mixer trickery, but thinking it through I have come to the conclusion that with this workaround setup, the trim buttons (affecting the servo centre, right?) will alter the pitch up position, and the glide path should only be trimmed by adjusting the strength of the free mixer. If I fiddle with the elevator trim, I am also adjusting the pitch up for the next launch – hence the nasty surprise.

I am hoping there may be other users of this workaround on this forum who may be able to help.

Am I on the right track and if I use flight modes, I assume I will be able to isolate this quirk to the launch phase only (ie can use trims for cruise and thermal mode settings, albeit modified by the free mixer setting, as long as I never make the mistake of launching in cruise or thermal mode?

Any advice gratefully received.
murne is offline Find More Posts by murne
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:14 AM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
634 Posts
Hi Murme.

Wich flight mode are you using? (Under "Setup"/"Model"/"Mode")

If you "throttle" is located at one of the sliders on the side, maybe there is your problem.

I´m right handed and use flightmode six.
In the control menu I use the "Fix"-mode to give me a preset on the elevator.
Should be possible to meke that for a "leftie" to, using another switch.

RubSon
RubSon is online now Find More Posts by RubSon
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:05 AM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
634 Posts
Hi again.....

Couldn´t help thinking about your problem. (I know it´s dangerous, but anyway.....)

Here´s the dirty solution.
If you´re using your TX mostly to DLG, this is what I would do.

Open the transmitter and switch the "Fix-" and "Throttlecut" buttuns. Move the fixbuttun to the right side of the transmitter. I don´t remember, but I think you only have to move to plugs on the plantineboard.

Use "Mode 6" to give you:
Rudder an Airbrakes on the left gimbal.
Elevator and Ailerons on the right.

In flightmode f.ex. 3 enable "FIX" under the "Mixer" menu, and set FIX ELE to disired value. This option only works in your launch-mode, if thats fl.mode 3.

Under flightmodes you can easyly ajust how much camber / FIX FLAP you´d like...

All my DLG´s are setup this way...

RubSon
RubSon is online now Find More Posts by RubSon
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Dec 2010
24 Posts
Hi Rubson,

I am using mode 5 - with throttle on rh slider - so that spoiler (flaps) are on rh stick.

I thought of trying to swap the fix & throttle cut buttons - but when I opened the set those buttons are hard wired into the board. My fall back would be to fit a rubber band to the fix button so that I can operate it from the right hand side -not good for turn arounds.

Thanks for the response.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:54 PM
Jens Hoffmann
Denmark, Region Zealand, Herlufmagle
Joined Jul 2006
410 Posts
This is where to start, if you own a mpx cockpit sx
http://www.rc-soar.com/multiplex/cockpitsx/index.htm

also a guide for lefties
sound like you have an unintensionally mix build in, reset the model at start all over, don't do anything that's not written in the manual.
And remember when adjusting the mixers, you need to have the stick in outer position to see what is going on.

check you didn't activate the v-tail mixer. that makes BIG trouble.

I don't fancy flightphases, too complicated,
jensdk is offline Find More Posts by jensdk
Last edited by jensdk; Sep 29, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
24 Posts
Thanks, Jens. I will give that a try.