HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2003, 02:41 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Easy Built Models wood quality?

Hi gang,

I realize Easy Built Models is, for the most part, producing printwood kits with a sprinkling of laser and die cut in there. I'm wondering about the wood quality. Is it decent near-contest or contest grade?

Thanks!

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2003, 06:17 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Not on their older kits, no way. Definitely commercial grade wood.
The new laser cut kits they have are much better, at least on the sheetwood. The sticks are still bad.
And any of the regular old kits, well, count on replacing some wood.
I would not say "Easy Built" and "contest wood" in the same breath, no way.
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Sep 16, 2003, 07:28 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
If he's the same Easytiger on Ebay, I'd listen to him! He knows balsa.

Older Easy Built kits were pretty much only good for a starting place to scratch build from. The cool thing is that there were a very wide range of subjects available.

A little extra craftsmanship could get you a unique model.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Sep 17, 2003, 08:50 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
One other thing- in rubber, actually many of their designs fly quite well without too much tweaking. I concur with the comments about their older kits- haven't built one of their newer ones though. Outlines are massaged pretty heavily- their stuff is further from scale than say Guillows or Sterling. But I've built a 24" P-39 of theirs from years ago that's got an enviable contest record flying indoor rubber. I used most of their sheetwood- but did the outline trick and substituted a lot of lighter stuff for their stringers since I fly mostly indoors. Other folks who have built the airplane also have a winner on their hands. This P-39 isn't really an exception- their Typhoon and 36" Spitty flies well, as does their Leopard Moth, and several others. I guess I've built a bunch of their kits....

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Sep 17, 2003, 09:14 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Yup, I'm the same Easytiger, who are you? Thanks for the kind words...

Like Megowcoupe says, that does NOT mean that Easybuilt kits are all bad! Not by a long shot. The vast, vast majority of the designs date to the thirties and forties, well proven classic stick and tissue stuff.
Something to think about, too, is that if you are building for RC, the very lightest wood is not always needed. If I were doing one for rubber, though, indoor OR out, I would toss all the stripwood into the scrap box, where it will serve on gas powered projects, and use contest balsa instead. Huge difference.
Here's one easy solution to overweight printwood: get a sanding block and sand the heck out of the back. Instead of 1/16, then you have 1/24" or whatever, lighter, and you can still use the printwood. Learned that with old late model comet kits, which had some pretty awful wood.
The Easybuilt range is vast and varied and interesting, and dirt cheap. Lots of neat things to try for electric power, if you are a creative modeller.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:04 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys! Between myself and a friend we ordered two kits to "test drive" - the 35" Harvard and the 28" laser spitfire. The Harvard is going to be my baby - retracts, flaps, etc (basically the same as my defunct Hurricane) with razor power, and Colin's making the Spitfire for IPS power.

We'll likely be starting threads in parkies once they get here, so I'll link them in this thread when that happens

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:33 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
I was looking at my EB B-25 today. The fuse is done, the rest still waits. But it IS a nice plan. Shows all the scale control surface structure, lots of interesting details...but it also tells you to go and form your own turrets and stuff by carving plugs and molding them yourself! And it says you can't get plexiglass for the turrets anyway, 'cause there is a war on and it's a strategic material. The EB kit is actually a Modelcraft design, circa 1943 or 44...

Let us know about the laser cut spitfire...I wonder if that is a new design?
Old Sep 20, 2003, 01:23 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,201 Posts
I've had a few easybuilts in my time and for the most part the comments are right on. But one for a larger model, the ModelCraft Hornet, surprised me. I'm a contest free flighter and consider myself to be a pretty good judge of wood and there isn't a single piece of stock in that kit that I would not have picked on my own. Truly beutiful.

I think they are spending more time on the more expensive kits to pick the stuff.

And if you're looking for a fine performing design that isn't scale pick up a Miss Canada Sr. Mine and all of the other 4 or 5 that I've seen in other's hands have all trimmed out to fine flyers with an absolute minimum of adjustments and flew very well. Definetley candidates for dethermalizers.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Sep 20, 2003, 06:55 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Easytiger,

I used to collect FF balsa kits, and my Ebay searches either come up with your stuff, or EB kits from a seller named "Conrat". I have enough FF kits though, so I just look on with interest at what you are selling nowadays.

I have the EB Lancaster kit, along with a mess of others. Lots of fun, but much more "Builder's kits" then say a Comet or Guillows.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Sep 21, 2003, 09:18 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
I think the standard of what you are looking for, wood-wise, in a gas FF kit like the Hornet, might be different! Either you just got lucky(they MUST get some good wood sometimes!) or you just were not that critical, the Hornet being a gas model.
Have to agree about the larger, non-scale rubber kits...they are pretty tolerant of poor wood selection, they fly great anyway. EB has some nice ones, too.

Thanks again for the nice words, lrsu...conrat is a nice fellow, too...
Old Sep 21, 2003, 09:20 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
ps I built a Wasp from the same series, same crappy wood. But it still flew fine, as it did not weigh much with a Baby Bee and two channels...