HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:06 PM
United States, CT, Old Lyme
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
Discussion
GWS Slow Stick

So between reading these sites for the past week and trying to figure out what flying style I wanted I have settled on the GWS slow stick. I have posted in some other threads about my flying history, i'm no Chuck Yeager at the controls, but I have flown glow powered planes. My questions come from being out of the hobby for 5-6 years and wanting to hang up the oily glow planes and switch to electric, problem is a lot has changed in 6 years and I have no clue were to start.

What I have come up with so far for my slow stick is this:

Radio: Hitec Flash 5X transmitter w/ either HS555 or hitec micro 05S receiver (yes I am still doing the FM thing) with HS-81 servos. I will have both receivers shortly.

Battery/ESC: Some seem to use NiCad or NiMH, but the weight to power leads me to a 2s or 3s Lipo. Although at first I may use a NiMH for there durability when training friends. Ultimately it will be a Lipo battery. As far as the ESC goes I assume any decent 25 series ESC will work (suggestions?). I was also thinking of going with a sky lipo battery, seems the reviews were favorable with cost being minimal.

Motor/Prop: This is were I am stuck. I am definitely going brushless, with my flying style being more relaxed (I will be teaching friends), but at the same time I want to be able to hit the throttle and have a little fun. I see that people use direct drive, or gearboxes with large props, but most of the posts were old(circa '04) so I don't know what the best current set up is...

Sorry for the rant/long post but I want to get this project off the ground with minimal expense. Right now all I need is the plane ($25ish), esc, batteries, and a motor/prop. Also finding most of this stuff in one place would be nice. Been looking at hobbyhorse.com.

Thanks,

Chris
paintmann111 is offline Find More Posts by paintmann111
Last edited by paintmann111; Sep 27, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
So between reading these sites for the past week and trying to figure out what flying style I wanted I have settled on the GWS slow stick. I have posted in some other threads about my flying history, i'm no Chuck Yeager at the controls, but I have flown glow powered planes. My questions come from being out of the hobby for 5-6 years and wanting to hang up the oily glow planes and switch to electric, problem is a lot has changed in 6 years and I have no clue were to start.

What I have come up with so far for my slow stick is this:

Radio: Hitec Flash 5X transmitter w/ either HS555 or hitec micro 05S receiver (yes I am still doing the FM thing) with HS-81 servos. I will have both receivers shortly.

Battery/ESC: Some seem to use NiCad or NiMH, but the weight to power leads me to a 2s or 3s Lipo. Although at first I may use a NiMH for there durability when training friends. Ultimately it will be a Lipo battery. As far as the ESC goes I assume any decent 25 series ECS will work (suggestions?). I was also thinking of going with a sky lipo battery, seems the reviews were favorable with cost being minimal.

Motor/Prop: This is were I am stuck. I am definitely going brushless with my flying style being more relaxed (I will be teaching friends), but at the same time I want to be able to hit the throttle and have a little fun. I see that people use direct drive, or gearboxes with large props, but most of the posts were old(circa '04) so I don't know what the best current set up is...

Sorry for the rant/long post but I want to get this project off the ground with minimal expense. Right now all I need is the plane ($25ish), esc, batteries, and a motor/prop. Also finding most of this stuff in one place would be nice. Been looking at hobbyhorse.com.

Thanks,

Chris
$20 seems reasonable for a motor/ESC.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail

1300mah is very floaty because of the light weight
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...C-Power/Detail

2200mah will let you fly for 15-20 minutes
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...C-Power/Detail

I've purchased from headsuprc quite a few times, and like how fast it was shipped out, the quality of the goods, and the shipping price.

"Standard Shipping (First Class Mail): $2.00 (regardless of quantity of items ordered)"
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
You will also need a motor mount and screws

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...unt-for/Detail
and
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ews-for/Detail

for $1.75 extra

Sorry, also connectors:
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...o--dsh-/Detail

$3.95

Don't forget velcro!

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-inches/Detail
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
Thanks for the reply eagle. I was looking that motor over and I completely forgot about the motor mounts. Is their any motor mount available that will match the thrust angles correctly? I believe is was 3* down/right. I think I might stick with a 25 ESC since I will be able to use it on other projects as well. At the worst it will add minimal weight, but give me good head room.

*Edit* You read my mind. haha
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:38 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,084 Posts
Excellent choice on a nice, easy flying plane and excellent advice given. Be sure to check out the Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread Part 9 in the Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) forum. Lots of good people there than can offer great advice.

Freddy
Fredriksson is online now Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:40 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply eagle. I was looking that motor over and I completely forgot about the motor mounts. Is their any motor mount available that will match the thrust angles correctly? I believe is was 3* down/right.

*Edit* You read my mind. haha
I've had four Slow Sticks, and have never had to adjust the thrust angle. That's just me I guess. You can purchase elaborate adjustable plywood and maybe aluminum motor mounts for around $20 I believe. You can also add washers between the motor mount and the motor to change the thrust angle, if you are so inclined.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
Thanks Freddy. I figure I can teach my friends with it while also getting some enjoyment while I ease back into the hobby. I figure for $25 bucks I can afford to let me friends crash it a few times.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:44 PM
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
What were you seeing for flight times out of the 1300? I like the 20 min deal with the 2200 though. Also any recommendations for the prop? I see that the gws ones will go right on...
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
What were you seeing for flight times out of the 1300? I like the 20 min deal with the 2200 though. Also any recommendations for the prop? I see that the gws ones will go right on...
Probably 10 minutes *very* slow flying, 7-8 minutes if not. 5 minutes fast flying.

edit: I used a APC 10x3.8SF
Last edited by eagle777; Sep 27, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
Yeah, I see they recommended the GWS EP1047, which I guess just fits right on, but at 11amps that seems that it would be fairly taxing on the motor, especially compared to some of the other options. Also that whole "keep you top speed low" note would worry me.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:05 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
If I were you... I would stick with the stock brushed 400C motor/gearbox. Run it on 3s, prop it to a GWS 9X5 HD and your flight times will be around 30+ minutes with a 3s 2100. And it's got more than enough power to be a fun airplane to toy around with. Climbs at about a 50* angle.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:16 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
If I were you... I would stick with the stock brushed 400C motor/gearbox. Run it on 3s, prop it to a GWS 9X5 HD and your flight times will be around 30+ minutes with a 3s 2100. And it's got more than enough power to be a fun airplane to toy around with. Climbs at about a 50* angle.
I actually didn't think about that. The brushed ESC for LiPo is a bit expensive comparatively. The stock power system does work well. But where else would you use a brushed ESC when transferring a power system to another plane? I would go for the cheapest no power system SS with the brushless $18 power system myself.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:24 AM
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
Yeah, I've already decided to go with the "kit" only option. I know I would upgrade anyways and for slightly more money I rather just upgrade now. What worries me are two things. 1. the prop they recommend is putting max thrust @ 11amps. I suppose if I leave it at 3/4's or less throttle I will be fine, might go with the 10X5 to get the max thrust amps down. 2. The esc seems to only be able to handle 3-4 of the hs-55 servos, which while cheap means I can't use the hs-81's that I currently have. Also, the torque of those servos is low (obviously) and that worries me a bit as well. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I've already decided to go with the "kit" only option. I know I would upgrade anyways and for slightly more money I rather just upgrade now. What worries me are two things. 1. the prop they recommend is putting max thrust @ 11amps. I suppose if I leave it at 3/4's or less throttle I will be fine, might go with the 10X5 to get the max thrust amps down. 2. The esc seems to only be able to handle 3-4 of the hs-55 servos, which while cheap means I can't use the hs-81's that I currently have. Also, the torque of those servos is low (obviously) and that worries me a bit as well. Any suggestions?
You'll only have 2 HS-81s I've used four HXT-900, S-75, and HS-65s (extra two servos for aileron control) on the SS also which have less torque than the 81. The ESC will handle two 81s.

Fly for a minute with the recommened prop(s). If the motor is hotter than warm to the touch, use a smaller prop.

If you are worried, get a wattmeter for the future.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ter/Categories
Last edited by eagle777; Sep 28, 2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:43 AM
Joined Sep 2011
76 Posts
Well I guess that answers all my questions. I guess I will be ordering this stuff when I get back from Florida. I figure I could just buy a couple sub micro servos since they are only a couple bucks each. Thanks for the quick responses eagle! I'm liking this site more then rcuniverse every day.