HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:56 PM
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
591 Posts
Alert
Soaring Sunday #7 Oct 2, 2011

Just a quick reminder to keep this date open for the last scheduled Soaring Sunday of the season. Although this season has been abbreviated due to a couple of washouts, we still have had some excellent soaring at the Litchfield site this year. Due to iffy weather our Pasta/Family Fun Fly had only a couple of soaring guys participate, it was still nice to see club members show to support the club. Again, thanks to Marvin and his lovely better half Rita who did a majority of the planning and work for the event.

If you haven't had the chance to fly sailplanes this season off the winch, dust off those wings and come out for one last opportunity to chase a thermal or two. Got an electric assist glider? Bring 'em out and fly with us. I have one of the CAM units and a couple of electrics to try sometime soon so I hope to experiment with the new ALES event that has taken off in the hobby. This event seems like a real easy way to get more guys into soaring and competition by offering a simple way to even the playing field. As long as you can get to a 200m altitude using a 30 sec motor run, you can compete! No need for the latest and greatest or high powered equipment to enjoy this type of man-on-man flying. Some are calling it a "winch in the nose" launch system. Sounds like fun and I hope to try it at a Soaring Sunday event next season.

Let's hope for a break in the weather this week and that the field will be in reasonable shape. We have had a good bit of rain; seems like spring all over again!

I will keep everyone posted later in the week with a better idea on the weather.

Jim
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:22 PM
JimN8UAY
Joined Oct 2004
591 Posts
Keeping an eye on the weather, we may convert Soaring Sunday to Slopetoberfest! The winds are looking good for Perrry this Sunday NNW @ 20 which could mean great combat weather. The Litchfield site is calling for NNW @ 17 so it may be a bit gusty for TD work. I'll keep a look out and repost as the day approaches. Either way, unless it's a washout, I'm flyin'!

Jim
Old Oct 01, 2011, 06:36 PM
JimN8UAY
Joined Oct 2004
591 Posts
Fellow soarers!
Since the weather looks pretty chilly, wind chill 34 with winds 22 NNW @ 8 am and eventually clearing at 2 pm to 57, sunny but also winds of 18 gusting higher, I have decided to call the soaring at the Litchfield site. I am sure the grounds are pretty wet from all of the moisture the past couple of days. I also need to do some repairs on the launch equipment. Hopefully we can get another day of soaring in this season before all is said and done.

It appears the conditions may be favorable for a slope day, so hopefully we can enjoy a Slopetoberfest either at Edgewater or Perry. See Mike's posts regarding the slope flying. I will be checking in with the weather in the early morning to see what looks good.

Thanks for every one's participation in the Soaring Sunday series, all be it brief, for this season!
Looking forward to next year.

Jim
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:24 PM
JimN8UAY
Joined Oct 2004
591 Posts
Well, even our Slopetoberfest got washed out! What a bummer. Wind was plenty strong but a good soaking was coming down; really no fun to fly in the wet and cold. The Perry Township park is an excellent site, though, and I look forward to making a visit again to the lovely North Coast! It's slope season on the lake!

Jim