HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:03 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,088 Posts
Jim,

I went out to the shop and looked at the can to be sure. Its the surfacing primer. Your choice of color. Im using the grey.

On a side note. I used the Clear High Gloss Coating a few times. Once on a P4show plane for a dealer. It had obechi wings that were glassed with .75 oz and epoxy. Then sprayed with the clear and sanded and polished to a mirror finish. Found out that this stuff is used for car and airplane wood interior details. Fantistic product.

Dave
Shaper Dave is offline Find More Posts by Shaper Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:19 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,315 Posts
Thanks Dave.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gravity hot wire foam cutter.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:49 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
7,315 Posts
Duratec.

Dave,

Sorry to bother you with more Duratec enquires. I am near the stage where I have to make a decision to use it and so order some if I do.
The supplier here in this country will only supply me with 1 gallon amounts. Also, they advise that I must buy the catalyst separately and that comes in 500ml containers! Nothing smaller. Also, I will need thinners as per advice.
Questions for you:

1. What catalyst ratios do you mix for this product? I'm assuming it's 2% like polyester resin.
2. What thinner ratio for spraying though a 2.5mm nozzle? (which I don't have yet).

Since I have to buy such a large amount and that I have to buy a new gun with a suitable tip to spray it (The largest I have is a 1.5mm tipped gun), the whole project is sounding like it's too expensive and wastefull for the number of moulding jobs I do. Also, short shelf life etc.

Sadly, I might have to go back to automotive systems for priming surfacing my plugs.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:50 AM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,088 Posts
Jim,

I mix the catalyst by eye. No real measuring or ratios, treat it just like using polyester resin.

As a thinner, I have tried all the required medium, Lacquer Thinner and MEK but I still prefer Acetone.

I have used my regular tip for spraying with no problems. Just thin it down.

I don't know what to tell you other than its great stuff and saves a lot of time. But a gallon is really too much and it will go off on you.

Good luck on your project!

Dave
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:35 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
7,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper Dave View Post
Jim,.............................................. ..... But a gallon is really too much and it will go off on you.

Good luck on your project!

Dave
Thanks for all that Dave. This is the killer! I was really looking forward to using it too!

Jim.

edit:
I can buy small quantities (any amount I want) of polyester spray gel coat at a local composites workshop. I might have to go that way. Have you had any experience using this?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Apr 19, 2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: see edit.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:10 AM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,088 Posts
Jim,

Same thing holds true to GelCoat. You have to Thin it down to spray through a standard tip. Make sure you add Surfacing Agent to it so you can sand it.

Dave
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:29 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
7,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper Dave View Post
Jim,

Same thing holds true to GelCoat. You have to Thin it down to spray through a standard tip. Make sure you add Surfacing Agent to it so you can sand it.

Dave
That would be "wax in styrene" I understand. Is that correct?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:04 AM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,088 Posts
Yep. Paraffin Wax desolved in Styrene. Any supply house will have it or you can make it your self by shredding some wax in styrene.
We do it for surfboard production using a cheese grater. One bar of Paraffin to one gallon of Styrene.
What this does is create a barrier on top of the Gelcoat so the stuff goes hard. Otherwise it stays tacky just like laminating resin. The reason it is hard and shiny out of a mold is that no air reaches the surface against the mold. The outside surface remains tacky for good bonding by the glass being applied to it.
I know you know this Jim, just info for those that don't know about this procedure.

If for whatever reason you can't get Surfacing agent, I have had pretty good results spraying a thick layer of PVA over the Gelcoat which provides the barrier against the oxygen. Once cured you rinse the PVA off and you can start sanding.

Dave
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:19 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
7,315 Posts
Wax in Styrene.

No Problems for me getting it Dave. My local friendly fibreglass shop has it ready made.
At this stage, I think I will go with the polyester gel coat. I'll thin it and try spraying it out of my 1.5mm tipped gun. It will involve more sanding which I do wet, but I don't really mind that. Lots of builders complain about a bit of sanding!

Thanks for all your assistance with making these decisions again Dave!

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2012, 11:40 AM
USA, TX, Mansfield
Joined Aug 2004
321 Posts
Ghost

Status check?? Inquiring minds just saw you made a post about the Ghost on another thread!!!

Rob
onemetre is online now Find More Posts by onemetre
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
Rob:

You're in line - behind me!

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:05 PM
Stangely Spinning in a Circle
Salisbury, MD
Joined Sep 2002
566 Posts
As long as I'm first, it's not an issue. Heck, I'll be happy to be on the waiting list.
Griphon is offline Find More Posts by Griphon
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:35 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,088 Posts
Hi Guys,

The Ghost is a reality, finally! I have been working on the fuse layups and am getting close to having a final product.

I have pulled a test wing to check the mold but this is not a flying wing, just test halves.
I have carbon on order right now and will be making prototypes for our crew here in Hawaii for testing.
Glidermang will be testing an early version for me in his conditions and putting it through his test program.

Once this is wrapped up and sorry I don't have a final time for deliveries yet, but its going to happen very soon.

When I have a flying model, I will post photos here for you.

Price range will be $650 - $800 depending on the carbon selected.

I will talk to my Web Master and have him set up a new order form which will just be a list of those interested in a Ghost.

Check in here for where to go to be on the list. No details on the plane or options yet. There's no commitment for you by being on the list. It will just hold a place for you and we will work out the details when its time.

Thanks,

Dave
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:05 PM
Honolulu, HI , United States
Joined May 2000
317 Posts
To be placed on the Ghost list, please visit:

http://www.pacificgliderworks.com/ and click on the link...

Joe
joesoar is offline Find More Posts by joesoar
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:48 AM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,088 Posts
Its been awhile so here are some photos of last weekends maiden of the Ghost.

To keep it short, the prototype is heavy as expected at 11.5 0z. Which is one ounce over the typical Legend.

Could not make any real assessment on performance as the conditions were turbulent with lots of lift and sink.

Problems with the wing fluttering on hard launch which I know the reason for. But I can say it goes fast, slow and climbs like crazy.

New wing is already in the mold with mods to solve the flutter and get rid of some extra weight.

Testing continues,

Dave