HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:52 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowindworks View Post
I don't know. I thought we were talking about micro-spheres/micro balloons. West Systems 406 doesn't contain any micro-spheres but rather colloidal silica. Colloidal Silica would be much stronger than micro-spheres.
I used colloidal silica, same as when joining wings. Very tough surface, and will continue using them for mold making!
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
USA, TX, Mansfield
Joined Aug 2004
319 Posts
West 407 is micro-balloons..
onemetre is offline Find More Posts by onemetre
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:44 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,073 Posts
I have fished up the first side of the wing mold. The actual layup ended up being a little different from what I stated at the beginning. I had a bunch of 6 oz. in stock so used that for the bulk of the layup.

2 - .75
2 - 1.4
2 - 4.0
6 - 6.0
4 - 8.0 ( actual weight is 7.5 but we call it 8 oz)

This gives me just under 3/16" thick mold which is perfect.

The flange is reinforced with 1/2" end grain balsa core material. This is a boat builders core material. It was cheap a long time ago when bought a ton of it and have been using it for the last 15 years.
This makes a really stable flange with good clamping pressure. Im sure you could use metal like aluminum square tubing which would work good as well and be faster. But as I said, I have a lot of it.
The core material needs to be capped with glass to create a spar of sorts. It does not need to be as thick of a layup as the mold but reasonably close.

Before pulling the mold off the parting table I sanded the tips level and added a block on each end of some scrap Corian. Then made a center stand out of MDF left over from the parting trays.

The layup came off the table with out much effort and looked very nice. Just some minor cleanup and cut off the excess glass on the flange.
Now its time to repeat the process again.

Dave
Shaper Dave is offline Find More Posts by Shaper Dave
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:50 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,073 Posts
More shots,

Once the mold is done I will post more photos of the finished product. It may be a week or two before I finish up. Im starting a new shaping job hopefully next week back on the North Shore. Im looking forward to it. I've been out of the room for 4 years!

Dave

OOPS! forgot the photos......
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:03 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper Dave View Post
Im starting a new shaping job hopefully next week back on the North Shore. Im looking forward to it. I've been out of the room for 4 years!
I might have to put my name on the list for one of those too

Excellent work.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:23 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,073 Posts
You never know, I may be doing some custom boards again. For now Im helping a friend shaping his boards off the CNC. Only a couple of days a week
so no big deal.
Really a nice drive from my house in Ewa to Wailua. Through the pineapple fields down to the North Shore, Dillingham Glider port 10 min. away. I just got a call from an old friend I used to build boards with and fly full scale out there. He's an Instructor out there now. Looks like I may have to go get checked out again. Fun, Fun, Fun.

Looks like I lost you guys using the end grain balsa. What this allows is a relatively light mold. There are a few reasons to go this way. If your 100 lb. sand backed mold takes a twist your screwed. The flexible mold can be set true by just tacking the corner down. Also removing parts is a dream because you can twist the entire mold enough to get parts out. They just pop out!
It is more work than just poring sand and resin on the back but it really pays off in ease of moving and storing.
I have fuse molds done this way that are 15 years old and the seams are still tight and and aligned. Only my molds that do not have the end grain on the flange have wandered, such as my DLG Pod molds and a couple of early TD
molds.

Dave
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:05 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Looks like I lost you guys using the end grain balsa. What this allows is a relatively light mold. There are a few reasons to go this way. If your 100 lb. sand backed mold takes a twist your screwed. The flexible mold can be set true by just tacking the corner down. Also removing parts is a dream because you can twist the entire mold enough to get parts out. They just pop out!
It is more work than just poring sand and resin on the back but it really pays off in ease of moving and storing.
I have fuse molds done this way that are 15 years old and the seams are still tight and and aligned. Only my molds that do not have the end grain on the flange have wandered, such as my DLG Pod molds and a couple of early TD
molds.

Dave
Yes Dave, you had lost me for a while there. However, the above description is very persuasive! I really like the "twist the entire mould" and "they just pop out" part!
Got me thinking and re-thinking!

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:53 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,426 Posts
Quote:
You never know, I may be doing some custom boards again. For now Im helping a friend shaping his boards off the CNC. Only a couple of days a week
so no big deal.
Really a nice drive from my house in Ewa to Wailua. Through the pineapple fields down to the North Shore, Dillingham Glider port 10 min. away. I just got a call from an old friend I used to build boards with and fly full scale out there. He's an Instructor out there now. Looks like I may have to go get checked out again. Fun, Fun, Fun.

Dave
Life is tough! man, just reading that has me back there...

Good luck back in the shaping bay, maybe a picture of one of those too?
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:22 PM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,960 Posts
Twist capability

Dave,

Your end grain balsa has given me some inspiration to try another construction method I have seen here somewhere. My latest plan (I have had a few changes of mind), is to make the mould skin around 5 mm or so like you do and use a 30mm RHS steel frame to support the flange. This would keep the LE and TE nice and straight while allowing a small amount of twist (possibly 1 or 2 mm?) for the initial breaking of the plug out of the mould.

How does the Duratec compare to conventional spray on Gel coat in terms of sanding ease? I am thinking this due to one reason only. I can obtain very small quantities of this locally while with the Duratec I have to buy the full 1 gallon as that is all Aus suppliers sell. Or at least, that is all that I have been able to find yet.
It is clear that the Duratec will be superior as it has been designed specifically for plug preparation. But I'm just thinking of a more economic alternative for small hobby scale jobs like mine etc.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:12 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,073 Posts
Jim,

Gel coat will work but takes much longer to cure. You will have to add a surfacing agent to it so you can sand it. It will polish out nicely though.
When you spray it, it will tend to go on with a lot of orange peel texture requiring more sanding than Duratec.

Dave
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:04 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Jim,

Gel coat will work but takes much longer to cure. You will have to add a surfacing agent to it so you can sand it. It will polish out nicely though.
When you spray it, it will tend to go on with a lot of orange peel texture requiring more sanding than Duratec.

Dave
Yes Dave. I have had a plug or two sprayed for me in gel coat by local friendly fibreglass workers so I know about the orange peel texture.
I have some months to find others to share of a gallon of Duratec, so I will be working towards using that I think.

Thanks,

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:13 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2003
863 Posts
I want..

Quote:
Greg,

Your on the short list. Wait, there is no list! I'll be in touch when it finally actually becomes a glider. 5 more molds to build before I even get a chance to play with this mold.

Dave
...to be on the short list too!!!!!
jofo1 is offline Find More Posts by jofo1
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:28 AM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,073 Posts
That non existent list is getting pretty heavy, what to do

Progress report : The mold has been completed or lets say the glass layups are done.
Its resting quietly now, curing for a week before I trim the edges and open that sucker up! Easy to say but man thats hard to do, you just want to start playing with it.

Dave
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,486 Posts
Dave:

"Open no mold, before its time!" Go take a break, and for sure: don't worry about me. When it's the right time, we'll all know.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang