SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:14 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,523 Posts
I vote RDS or Top Drive left to the builder. The latter would save you time and the builder money, but that's just me.
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 03:17 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,088 Posts
Tom,

The TE Fence is 1/4'" x 1/2" and bends easily into a 1/4" routed slot. Super easy.
Shaper Dave is offline Find More Posts by Shaper Dave
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:12 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,088 Posts
Kai asked about the P5, here ya go.

126" span
Modified Drela foils and thats all you guys get for now.

This one is the priority project and the Ghost is going along for the ride as Im doing all the molds at once.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,774 Posts
Dang Dave, that's a beautiful airplane.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:51 PM
USA, TX, Mansfield
Joined Aug 2004
321 Posts
P5

Awesome!!
onemetre is online now Find More Posts by onemetre
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:07 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,523 Posts
Now that's a ship I could get behind, it looks like a beautiful super sized DLG!
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:12 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,202 Posts
Good stuff, Dave! Great to see you back.
Drooling on that P5...

Soar!
Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:15 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
*blink* *drool*
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:32 PM
Afflicted with DDD
United States, CO, Berthoud
Joined Mar 2006
1,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
I vote RDS or Top Drive left to the builder. The latter would save you time and the builder money, but that's just me.
+1 on RDS or Top Drive. I had the same problems Dave Jensen had with getting enough throw on the flaps. Still, Shaper Dave makes a beautiful airplane.
Thanks
Bob
Soarhead00 is online now Find More Posts by Soarhead00
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:42 PM
db1
don betz
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2004
571 Posts
OK, One Ghost and one P5. Thank you.

db
db1 is offline Find More Posts by db1
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:15 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,088 Posts
Thanks for the positive vibes dudes!

Hard to get a good picture of the P5 when its all in primer. It looks better in person than in those shots.

I guess I will talk some more about this project. Its a follow up to my Predator series of thermal ships I started back in the late 80's. The Predator 4 was the last one kitted back in 98'. Instead of confusing guys with "Predator" which there are a few of them out these days, DLG & Slope racer I believe, Im just calling it the P5.

The first thought in designing it was to be a Obechi wing kit like the old days. Brian Agnew talked me into letting him kit the P4 a few years ago but that never made it to market. He was trying to have a kit like we used to make available for right around $500. Lots of interest but most people these days do not have the skills or time to build and wanted to have him build it complete. No mystery there.
After running the numbers and looking at the time involved to make an Obechi kit I decided to go the molded route.

By keeping the span to 126" I eliminate the need for mass quantities of carbon and other expensive materials. Joiners are 3/8" round stock available from any composites store, wing bolts are 10/24 flush head screws with a philips head, right off any hardware store shelf. No special wrenches to miss place or forget.
I am making my own foam sheets for the wings from Surfboard Blanks. I have a hight extension for my band saw so I can cut up to 12" wide sheets.
That saves an extreme amount of cost compared to buying Rohacell or other Euro foams.

So after saying all that Im looking at a "Kit" which you have to cut the fllght control surfaces loose, install the bell crank, rudder post and radio etc.
for $600 - $700 range. We'll see when it gets done and I work out the details with my buddy Joe Nave at rcsoaring.com who will be handling the sales and distribution.
You guys wouldn't believe the time it takes to box a kit up and ship it. I'd never get any work done.

I will of course be doing complete P5's as well but no price on that yet.

There ya go.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:39 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,314 Posts
Paint.

Hi Dave,
Just to clarify, primer only on the plugs and no 2 pack paint finish, is that correct?
I am doing some hand finished wing plugs at present myself for a plank. However, I vac bagged mine, not knowing any better. These will be my first venture into hollow moulded wings. I spend a lot of time hand finishing them with long sanding boards and they are looking good now.

Thanks for you thread.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gravity hot wire foam cutter.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:07 AM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,088 Posts
Jim,

The primer I use is called Duratec which is a polyester based filler. I can take it from rough filler to full polish with no need to paint.
Great stuff.

Dave
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:42 AM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
*blink* *drool*
+1000 - wiping off keyboard.

Kit is good, my Arrow came with all the parts & items needed to complete the build - very nice. Even the epoxy and micro-balloons...

Martin
MMR is online now Find More Posts by MMR
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:37 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
For those who might not have seen one, the Legend from Dave has some cool drag-reducing features. My experiences in 2010 with a couple of Taboos convinced me how important all that "small stuff" really is.

His aileron drives are conventional horns, but neatly buried in the fuselage. Conventional so that those who have not dealt with top drive or RDS need not be frightened, but producing no drag from protruding into the airstream. Totally internal.

His horizontal tail mount securely grasps the boom, but is hollow, allowing the push rod to engage the elevator horn in a sheltered space, with almost no drag. Pretty slick, and I wish I had had two of those mounts for my other DLGs.

If he is still supplying balsa tails, they are shaped, for excellent drag characteristics. However, his foam tails are the equal of Oleg's (I put them on my Taboos) and Swindell's (I have some of those, also: thin, strong, slick).

I'll fly my Legend in any venue, under any flying conditions of light lift or high wind, and for any task. It was my first-line airplane at the Arizona Open, that featured very high winds and I didn't drop in any ballast at all. It wound up carrying the load for me at the Blue Skies of new Mexico, too.

When they are available, I'll certainly be rushing to get in line for the Ghost, anticipating the same attentionto detail design.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang