to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:41 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,080 Posts
TE trench on the P5

Hi Dave,
Following with interest your methods and have one question in relation to the P5;

...how do you machine and fit the TE trench so accurately without CNC? Did you make a template from the plug TE, then use that as a guide for a router?

Also the Corian strip that is inserted...is that bought off the shelf or stripped off a larger sheet?

Chris

http://www.seat.org.au
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:30 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2004
197 Posts
Dave,
How is the new wing?
Do you have alot of flight time on it yet?

Still looking for a release Date.

What about some pics?

Russ M.
Merk is offline Find More Posts by Merk
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:43 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,637 Posts
Hi Dave,

I hope you don't mind me asking here on your thread, but you (and others) might like to suggest a first DLG glider for me.
I want to have a go at one.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:37 AM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,049 Posts
Hi Chris,

I always make a full size master pattern of one side of the wing out of 1/8" mahogany plywood. I do the initial drawings full scale and work out all the details on it. No Computer's involved. This is bonded to the wood and cut out and trued. The wing plugs are made and checked to this master.
For the trough, I use the master and make it the template to run the router against on the MDF trays, 1/4" deep and 1/4" wide.
The Corian is cut off a larger sheet using a table saw 1/2" x 1/4". I then sand and round the edges. Makes a perfect fit and bends nicely to the curve. No heat forming necessary.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Shaper Dave is offline Find More Posts by Shaper Dave
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:22 AM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,049 Posts
Russ,

I do have a lot of time on the new wing. My original prototype is pretty beat up and its not showing the potential of the wing. The hinge line on top has been mangled by experimenting with different gap seals and removing the tape has delamed the glass so its pretty rough.

My friend Milts "Ghost" in the photos is # 2 and its pristine and fly's much better than mine. Unfortunately, last Sunday this ship lost radio on a launch and went straight in totaling it. On the good side I got to see where all the failures are and can beef up a few spots that need it.

I will post some shots later of how I have been making my foam sheets. As you can see in the photos, the cell structure is very tight and smooth. The paint and colors you can do with it is amazing. Only draw back is its heavier and not as stiff as Rohacell. I have been doing everything I can to get the weight down but its ending up an ounce heavier than what is needed.
Only thing I have left to do is to order some 80 gram cloth from R&G. I have been using 1.19 oz on the outside and .75 on the inside. The .75 is not holding up to the stress of launching and the cloth needs to be more balanced between the outside and inside for this foam.

I have been relentless in trying to get this to work. The cost comes to $12.00 of foam for a full wing not counting labor.

Jim,

The best advice I can give is to see if you have any local builders producing a glider. The Aussies have to have some good designs available.

Dave
Last edited by Shaper Dave; Oct 10, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:33 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,080 Posts
Cheers Dave, that all makes sense and the results speak for themselves.

Chris.
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Sep 2004
197 Posts
Dave,

Planes look great.
I would like to see the new wing and the cloth that you will using.

Can't wait to see one in person and see how it performs.

Russ
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:38 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,637 Posts
Thanks for the tip Dave. Your plane looks like a fine work of art in the pics. Nice work!

Jim,

who might try a cheap HobbyKing Versus for starters!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lider_Kit.html
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:02 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,049 Posts
Jim,

Good call, looks very similar to my Arrow Sport I was selling a few years ago.

Dave
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:04 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,049 Posts
Forgot the photo
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:44 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,136 Posts
Very nice.

Jun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper Dave View Post
Russ,

I do have a lot of time on the new wing. My original prototype is pretty beat up and its not showing the potential of the wing. The hinge line on top has been mangled by experimenting with different gap seals and removing the tape has delamed the glass so its pretty rough.

My friend Milts "Ghost" in the photos is # 2 and its pristine and fly's much better than mine. Unfortunately, last Sunday this ship lost radio on a launch and went straight in totaling it. On the good side I got to see where all the failures are and can beef up a few spots that need it.

I will post some shots later of how I have been making my foam sheets. As you can see in the photos, the cell structure is very tight and smooth. The paint and colors you can do with it is amazing. Only draw back is its heavier and not as stiff as Rohacell. I have been doing everything I can to get the weight down but its ending up an ounce heavier than what is needed.
Only thing I have left to do is to order some 80 gram cloth from R&G. I have been using 1.19 oz on the outside and .75 on the inside. The .75 is not holding up to the stress of launching and the cloth needs to be more balanced between the outside and inside for this foam.

I have been relentless in trying to get this to work. The cost comes to $12.00 for a full wing not counting labor.

Jim,

The best advice I can give is to see if you have any local builders producing a glider. The Aussies have to have some good designs available.

Dave
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Sep 2004
197 Posts
Come on Dave any updates???

How many are flying?

You have all of us hooked and we have not heard anything in sometime about it.

Russ
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:34 AM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,049 Posts
Hi Russ,

I have been uber busy with it being the surf season over here. I've been chained to my shaping room doing production shaping.

It was a dead summer for the board business so I had lots of time for gliders. But for the next few months its all about boards. Im sure I'll get days off here and there to get some planes built.

Had a little hiccup on a Rohacell order that pushed the time table back some more but it will be resolved very soon.

Dave
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Sep 2004
197 Posts
Dave,
I understand.
I hope this surf season is good to you.

Just blip in some time and lets us see what you are doing.

Good luck
Russ