HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:56 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,066 Posts
Discussion
Arrow Ghost

I have been absent for some time on this Group so decided to show a very small glimpse of what has been going on in my shop.

I had to stop all handlaunch production due to burnout and the need to move on to different projects. Those of you that did not get their new tails or whatever I apologize but I had to stop as time was running out for me to get to molding for Christmas time release of the P5 Thermal ship.

I have had the "Ghost" wing plug done for a long time and decided to mold it before I get to the 5 molds for the P5.
Right now every flat surface in my shop has parting trays and plugs sitting and waiting for their turn.

I thought it may be of interest to some of you how its done "old school" with out the use of a CNC cutter.

This is not a "How To" thread, but just a few shots of where I am at the moment. If you have questions I will be happy to answer them.

Dave
Shaper Dave is offline Find More Posts by Shaper Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,733 Posts
very nice. I would like to try that myself.
Is the plug just a foam core wing? Just how do you make a accurate plug without CNC?
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:06 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,425 Posts
Glad to see you back Dave! I've been waiting anxiously to see this apparition of a Ghost appear on camera
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:10 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Folks like Dave who work with their hands for a living and are accustomed to looking at how shapes will move through the water or air have no need for a CNC. There is nothing like a hand shaped wing.

Some folks just seem to have a natural ability to see things in certain ways.

Dave what did you do for a lay-up on the sacrificial wing? I have been trying to sell myself but just can't get there yet.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,479 Posts
Dave:

You know I'm going to want one, when the time comes.

Good luck!

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:34 PM
Suffers from "Dumb Thumbs" ...
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2000
130 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but what are the ball bearing keys? Do they align the mold halves?
LE PEW is offline Find More Posts by LE PEW
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:47 PM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LE PEW View Post
Pardon my ignorance but what are the ball bearing keys? Do they align the mold halves?
yep.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:41 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,151 Posts
Dave, thanks for sharing!
I'm also curious as to how an accurate mould can be done without CNC, I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, but because me and a couple friends are working on a moulded project as well. Can a 'hand made' product really be as accurate as CNC as Paul suggests

Thomas
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:45 PM
yes my thermal gogles are on
Ocala,Fla
Joined Jan 2009
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
I'm also curious as to how an accurate mould can be done without CNC, I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes, but because me and a couple friends are working on a moulded project as well. Can a 'hand made' product really be as accurate as CNC as Paul suggests

Thomas
id imagine its just like surfboards ya the cnc can be extremely accurate but most surfers are aware there is NOTHING wuite like the feel of a hand shaped board im sure its almost the same with dlg
Roy!! is offline Find More Posts by Roy!!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 08:55 PM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post

Thomas
not a chance,nope! I dont care how good your hands/eyes are. BUT that is not to say a hand done wing doesnt perform very well. specially if the cost is reduced.

having said that. even a coat of PVA reduces accuracy on a CNC plug
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,066 Posts
It is quite possible to build a wing as accurately as a CNC. In fact you have much more freedom in small details you cant do with CNC. The only draw back is it takes lots of time to make the plug.

If your a hands on guy like me its a lot of fun and worth the effort.

The plug is a Blue Foam wing hot wired as usual but with a lot more sections than a standard wing. Hand finished and not done in a bag as per usual.

The core is done in a wet layup one side at a time.
I use the same carbon I use in the Arrows D tube at 0/90 top and bottom. then a 1.4 oz. finish cloth.

I have found that bagging actually deforms the surface more than you think.
Once its cured I fill with Duratec primer using a white base then the Grey as you see in the photos. This shows the high and low spots as needed.

I only sand these out to 600 grt. for final surface. There is no need to go any finer for the plug. All the final sanding is in the mold surface itself and you can go to 1000 grt. for that and compound and polish to finish.

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:14 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,151 Posts
Thanks for sharing Dave!! That sounds like a very neat way of doing it, I think a lot of guys without access to a CNC mill is going to appreciate you sharing your efforts and ingenuity!
Looking forward to progress in this thread
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:41 PM
Oahu Hawaii
Joined Aug 2004
1,066 Posts
I need to clarify some points on CNC cutting that most people do not understand.
I spent the better part of 12 years working on surfboards being cut by CNC machines. And I have been around a few different machines that have different capabilities.
The closer the cutting paths are together the better the finished product and the truer the finished item will be at the end. But, for most cases, you need to hand finish the mold surface to remove the tooling marks. This means sanding with different grit papers until the surface is where you want it and you have changed it, maybe as little as say, some PVA would do on a plug.

To have a completely machine finished surface lets say, in Aluminum is very cost prohibitive but would yield the most accurate wing.
When you have to sand the surface by hand your not really getting a better wing than a hand built wing, your getting a wing that took a lot less time and a lot more money.

Lets say you flew my new plane and it was the best thing you ever flew. Then I said the wing was designed in XFoil and CNC cut. You would naturally think WOW! high tech, thats got to be the secret and your satisfied and your world is in order.
Then your buddy who came to my shop for a visit tells you I did it all by hand with some templates and years of experience and I was pulling your chain for some fun! Would that plane still fly that well in your mind?

CNC's are great and I wish I could afford one for myself or had the patience to build my own but I don't.

Don't kid your self, you can make a molded wing that flys great without the computer. You just need a big can of Elbow Grease!

Dave
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:49 PM
yes my thermal gogles are on
Ocala,Fla
Joined Jan 2009
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper Dave View Post
I need to clarify some points on CNC cutting that most people do not understand.
I spent the better part of 12 years working on surfboards being cut by CNC machines. And I have been around a few different machines that have different capabilities.
The closer the cutting paths are together the better the finished product and the truer the finished item will be at the end. But, for most cases, you need to hand finish the mold surface to remove the tooling marks. This means sanding with different grit papers until the surface is where you want it and you have changed it, maybe as little as say, some PVA would do on a plug.

To have a completely machine finished surface lets say, in Aluminum is very cost prohibitive but would yield the most accurate wing.
When you have to sand the surface by hand your not really getting a better wing than a hand built wing, your getting a wing that took a lot less time and a lot more money.

Lets say you flew my new plane and it was the best thing you ever flew. Then I said the wing was designed in XFoil and CNC cut. You would naturally think WOW! high tech, thats got to be the secret and your satisfied and your world is in order.
Then your buddy who came to my shop for a visit tells you I did it all by hand with some templates and years of experience and I was pulling your chain for some fun! Would that plane still fly that well in your mind?

CNC's are great and I wish I could afford one for myself or had the patience to build my own but I don't.

Don't kid your self, you can make a molded wing that flys great without the computer. You just need a big can of Elbow Grease!

Dave
nothing like some hand shaped foam
Roy!! is offline Find More Posts by Roy!!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,479 Posts
Dave:

I will still want one.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang