HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:17 PM
T#0
Steamboat Springs, CO
Joined Aug 2010
623 Posts
Discussion
What is cross country soaring?

How is cross country soaring different than regular soaring?
PilotKeeg is offline Find More Posts by PilotKeeg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 09:15 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,679 Posts
Is that a trick question? -- See the first caption on this page: http://shredair.com/album/xcsoar/xc04c.html. And for more info, see http://xcsoaring.com

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:48 AM
Australia, SA, Whyalla
Joined Apr 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredAir View Post
Is that a trick question? -- See the first caption on this page: http://shredair.com/album/xcsoar/xc04c.html. And for more info, see http://xcsoaring.com

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
That looks like serious fun, certainly like the plush armchairs in the ute.

Only problem is if I tried that over here the driver and rear passengers would get booked (read BIG fine) by the fun police
Peteren is offline Find More Posts by Peteren
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:19 AM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
Jeep or convertible works also. We will be transitioning this year as I am tired of the fun police ruining our races.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:43 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotKeeg View Post
Do you ever get the thought when hanging out at the top of a thermal at the local glider club...... How far could I go with this altitude ? and what if I find another thermal on the way to go even further ?...... Going out and getting those answers is what Cross Country is about.

Mike
ThermalSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:25 AM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Quote:
regular soaring is basically standing on a flat field and boring holes in the sky. then you stick your glider in the ground like a lawn dart. Dont get me wrong, I love the TD contests in my club but after experiencing cross country there is no comparison. In cross country you get to use all the skills you ever learned in flat field soaring plus slope soaring. And you get to see miles of new terrain and very challenging situations. Its very hard to explain, you must do it to really understand just how special it is as an experience. What I love about XC is the fact that it is all about flying skill and decision making. Launching and dork landing and luck of the draw in the launch window like in TD mean nothing. XC really is the trueist form of soaring flight.

Steve
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Last edited by TrekBiker; Sep 29, 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:36 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Quote:
I have the same question for a while. Last Thursday, I drove 3 hours to Cal Valley and was invited to be in the back seat of a chasing car for almost 2 hours.

Quote:
I don't know yet. But I am sure I will take time to figure it out.

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
Last edited by tai626; Sep 29, 2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekBiker View Post
Its very hard to explain, you must do it to really understand just how special it is as an experience.
Steve
Is it that hard to explain? I've never heard of it until now, just browsing through the forums here on RCG. Can you explain the timeline of a flight?

It sounds like, you launch a glider, hop in the back of a truck, and see how far you can fly the thing. Is that about it? I'm sure there's more details and It would be interesting to hear about them. Sounds like fun, but not some magical mystery experience that defies explanation.
fizzer82 is offline Find More Posts by fizzer82
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:12 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,161 Posts
No, you are constantly looking for lift along the way to extend the flight. Some of them go 100 miles+. Also you are looking for the best path between thermals, avoiding the sink. Plus there is the whole aircraft design for the task aspect.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:57 PM
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzer82 View Post
Is it that hard to explain? I've never heard of it until now, just browsing through the forums here on RCG. Can you explain the timeline of a flight?

It sounds like, you launch a glider, hop in the back of a truck, and see how far you can fly the thing. Is that about it? I'm sure there's more details and It would be interesting to hear about them. Sounds like fun, but not some magical mystery experience that defies explanation.
Experienced thermal fliers can sometimes "feel" the glider and what its doing, sort of like a 6th sense. I've flown full scale sailplanes and its all about the accelerations on your body, a completely different experience than flying RC standing on the ground. Flying RC and watching the model you can see the small movements and get a "feel" as if you are part of the plane. XC is similar except we use the vario tone in addition to visual clues. Flying from a moving vehicle is a lot different than standing on the ground. Also there are the birds, other teams planes, hills, mountains, cliffs, dust devils, sink areas, known thermal generators, best time of day for lift and decisions on when to make an all out run, thermalling in wind, slope soaring, wave riding, inversion and shear lines, the fear you experience in real strong thermals flying at the edge of visibility, the fear when you lose sight of the glider and what to do to find it again, flying into and around clouds, landing out, speed to fly and especially the "sled run" or final glide which can go for 5-10 miles to the finish, that great feeling when you complete the course and make it back to the field after 40+ miles of all of the above. Maybe someone can explain it better than me.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:14 AM
Joined Apr 2011
36 Posts
I get that there's all kinds of intricate elements to successful soaring, cross country or not. I think what the OP, and what I am wondering, are what are the basics to it.

I had never heard of it until just browsing through the myriad of forums on RC groups.

Is there a good place to go for an interested party to learn the basics? What's the best landscape? Where do you find a place where you can fly dozens of miles? Is it purely point to point, or do you sometimes do circuits of say 10 miles in length?

Those sorts of noob questions
fizzer82 is offline Find More Posts by fizzer82
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:36 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,572 Posts
Fizzer,

Check out this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743959

Sometimes cross country is go from point A to point B. Sometimes it is go from point A to B then back to A. Sometimes it is point A to B to A wash rinse repeat as many times as possible.

Where to do this? Any remote area is good. Things like big open fields to land your plane if you can't find the lift to make it to where you want to land is nice. Lack of trees by the roads is nice (if you are flying the plane and then drive through the tree tunnel you can't see your plane). Straight roads are nice.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:47 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,572 Posts
Quote:
Is it that hard to explain?

It is a little difficult to explain how cool and unique to most other kinds of flying it really is until you are in a moving vehicle with a goal you are trying to fly an unpowered plane to.

Here is a video I made of when I drove for Gordan Buckland of Florida when he did his 10K goal and return. That is a launch point, then a goal 10+ kilometers away and return back to the launch point.

Gordon's 10K goal and return (1 min 6 sec)
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:07 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,679 Posts
Quote:
Is it that hard to explain? ... It sounds like, you launch a glider, hop in the back of a truck, and see how far you can fly the thing. Is that about it?
Nope, not anymore. It's how FAST you can fly it on a particular course. RC XC soaring has evolved to be as close to full-sized soaring as possible: best average speed on course wins. http://xcsoaring.com/organize.html is an overview of what's involved in a typical XC contest. It's dated a bit, but it provides basic info.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:07 PM
Joined Mar 2004
539 Posts
Quote:
I get that there's all kinds of intricate elements to successful soaring, cross country or not. I think what the OP, and what I am wondering, are what are the basics to it.

I had never heard of it until just browsing through the myriad of forums on RC groups.

Is there a good place to go for an interested party to learn the basics? What's the best landscape? Where do you find a place where you can fly dozens of miles? Is it purely point to point, or do you sometimes do circuits of say 10 miles in length?

Those sorts of noob questions
Probably the best place to learn the basics of XC is this forum right here. There is a lot of good information in these threads. If you are seriously interested you will read thru these threads and make the effort to educate yourself. And there is no better teacher than actually going out on the road. One thing I've noticed is that here on the west coast its been basically the same 10-15 teams for the last 12+ years and the overall skill levels have steadily increased over that time span. And now we have evolved to speed courses using the same scoring as full scale soaring. Teams that in the beginning could barely get off the field and would celebrate a five mile flight as a great success are now flying 20+ miles and are dissappointed if they dont finish the course. It is a somewhat steep learning curve but the rewards are worth it. It's great to see new teams show up like what happened this year at Montague. I hope they will stick with XC and we can maybe grow this sport.

Steve