HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:33 PM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2011
142 Posts
Discussion
Different foams

What's the advantage of using the rc style epp foam or coroplast foam bs the foam from say insulation foam from home depot or foam from dollar store?
south.tx.dead.I is offline Find More Posts by south.tx.dead.I
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:35 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.tx.dead.I View Post
What's the advantage of using the rc style epp foam or coroplast foam bs the foam from say insulation foam from home depot or foam from dollar store?
Price is the main difference. 1 to 2 dollars a sheet for the insulation or dollartree foam versus 6 to 12 dollars for the Rc style stuff.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:40 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
EPP (expanded polypropylene) is heavy, but very crash resistant. It is more difficult to cut with a hot wire and more difficult to sand.

Coroplast isn't really foam, it's like plastic corrogated cardboard.

"Insulation foam" or EPS (expanded polystyrene) is lightweight, easy to work, but brittle (white stuff).

Fan-Fold Foam (blue stuff) is similar to EPS, a little stronger.

Dollar-Tree foamboard is easy to work and cheap, but strength depends on how you use it (as with all these materials).

I've used all these I mention. Which to use depends on the application. I've used A LOT of EPS and Dollar-Tree foamboard.
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer