Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:15 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,800 Posts
Build Log
Cloud Models Me163 Komet

Hi folks,

Not been in here before!! I thought this was the best place to post this, it's a tractor not a pusher and a rocket not a jet!!

Kits are available from Cloud Models in the UK.

Afraid it will be short thread as I spent more time building it than taking photos but if anyone has any questions, fire away. I think this model was reviewed recently in a UK magazine.

Just flown it briefly, great fun!!

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:37 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,800 Posts
Construction is fairly simple but there are some tricky steps, again I'm sorry that I don't have many photos of this.

Very basically here are the main steps:
  • Cut holes through wing foam spanwise for servo wires.
  • Join wing panels (upside down for slight dihedral)
  • Build keel frame and fix to wing centreline (underneath is best!).
  • Cut slots for wings in fuselage halves, trim to size and glue together in position.
  • Add servo boxes, elevons and fin.
  • Build battery box and let into top wing skin.
  • Build hatch/canopy frame, trim and fix canopy.
  • Paint, add motor, check CofG, fly!!

The tricky part was mating the fuselage halves (wing slots seemed too small) and the canopy moulding was not quite deep enough so I have a small flange around the lower edge.

I glassed the wings and fin (after a tissue covering attempt went wrong!) but it's still well under the prototype weight, mainly because of using Lipos instead of NiMh/Nicads.

GB
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:52 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,800 Posts
Power set-up. first flight.

The prototype used a brushed Speed 400 motor, I had a Mega 16 EDF brushless inrunner spare but the Kv was too high, there would have been a fire somewhere, just like the real thing!

After taking advice I settled on a 4-Max PPI-2847-2700 inrunner and a 6 x 3 folding prop with a cooling spinner.

The ESC I already had, a JETI Advance Pro 40 amp. Battery is a 3S 20C 11.1V 1500 maH.

My Lipo batteries are fairly old so I've limited the current draw by setting the throttle curve on my DSX9 to 70% maximum. It draws 32 amps and produces 280 watts at this setting (which is plenty!).

GB
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:18 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,800 Posts
Ooops, forgot the first flight bit!!

Centre of gravity is checked by hanging the model through holes in the fuselage, unfortunately I set it up with the Mega motor which is a bit lighter than the 4-Max one (CofG is set by moving the battery box fore and aft, once it's glued in your stuffed!). I added a few grammes of lead inside the open rocket (cooling air) exhaust to restore the CofG.

Receiver is a Spektrum AR500, elevon mix on the transmitter with 40% softening exponential on aileron/elevator.

Quick range check then off to some scrub land behind my house, I don't normally fly there but I wanted the long grass!

Not much headwind and it's a tricky shape to hold and handlaunch (instructions recommend that a helper launches) so the first launch went wrong (as predicted!!). Too nose up, a short 'Sabre dance' and a left wing over into the grass, just collected some earth in the spinner hole.

Second launch was similar but it went further!! Third launch was wobbly as well but it got away and once it gained some airspeed it was spot on.

Climbed nicely and I tried a couple of rolls (snappy!). Only flew for a couple of minutes so no chance to check the stall or much else but I can say that it is much faster than anything else I've previously flown!!

I flew the circuit and approach way too fast and it landed 100 yds up the field.

I'd like to try it on the slope and am looking forward to some more fun once I've got used to it.

Recommended but probably not for an inexperienced builder/flyer. Good value for money I think.

Cheers

Gary
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:54 AM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Hello Gary, Very nice kit for about $77.00 US plus shipping. I like the one from HET better here is a link: http://www.highendrc.com/index_eprod...roducts_id=231
Plus it's a ARF glass fuse and balsa covered foam wings. It only took 1 hour and it was ready to fly. I got my kit from a place here in the US for $115.00 shipped. I have a bit more power in my 163 it's pushing about 1100 watts at 76 amps running a Sapac MB-1 3200 Kv motor Hobby Wing 80 amp ESC and 4 cell 2200 40C pack and 5x5 prop. It's a blast to fly for sure. Top speed so far is 139.7 MPH or 224.8 KPH on a 4 cell pack. Just got in a 5 cell 2650 40C pack so I hope to get a bit more speed out of her with a 4.75 x 4.75 prop. Here are a few pic's of her ready to go and a video of her flying.

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb

The fastest aircraft in the club. www.neprcc.com (3 min 24 sec)
raido56 is offline Find More Posts by raido56
Last edited by raido56; Sep 28, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 02:43 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,800 Posts
1100 Watts?!!! The HET one is nice, I see it says 'advanced skill is required to fly this jet!!'

Good stuff.

GB
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:37 AM
Flying!!! Got to love it
USA, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Jun 2006
589 Posts
Hi GB, I went to a 5 cell pack . Check out the meter readings in the pic .

Keep em flying
raido56/ Herb
raido56 is offline Find More Posts by raido56
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:56 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,800 Posts
Crikey!!

I've flown it some more, to be honest I'm struggling with orientation sometimes. I can tell which way up it is because of the fin but often it's just a silhouette and it's difficult to tell whether it's turning towards me or away, the camouflage is not helping.

It is fun though!!

GB
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:17 AM
littleton, colorado
Joined Jan 2003
307 Posts
Hello Gary, great job on your Komet! I like the scale paint job, but can easily understand losing orientation due to the camo. I often paint some kind markings on my warbirds (allied AC are easier thanks to invasion stripes!) to help with orientation. Many German AC had yellow wing tips or noses, or Homeland defense stripes. Not scale on the 163, but better than crashing it.

PS, whenever I see the 163, I get a chuckle as I remember one of the German nicknames for it- The Farting Flea!
Cheers, Steve
sgonzo is offline Find More Posts by sgonzo
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:58 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Nice build, Gary! The Komet is a great plane - after the war, Lippisch, the designer, lived and died in Iowa, not far from my present location.

Most wartime Komets had a light, off-white color on the bottom (no camoflage needed there ). If you haven't done it already, it may help in orientation a bit. I've found the more you fly it, the easier it is to determine the orientation, but these speedy designs always present a challenge!

Cheers/Roger
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:09 AM
littleton, colorado
Joined Jan 2003
307 Posts
Great pic and info Zaurak3, and that Komet even has the famous "Farting Flea" logo on the nose!
sgonzo is offline Find More Posts by sgonzo
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:20 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Yep!

"Wie ein Floh, Aber Oho!"
(Only a flea, but Oh oh!)
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:37 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,800 Posts
Good stuff!

I wanted to paint the undersides light blue but couldn't find a spray can so they are just grey primer.

I'll slap some dayglo patches on it underneath, should help. In hindsight I was flying it between me and the sun, I'll try it down sun next time.

GB
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:55 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Binnie View Post
I'll slap some dayglo patches on it underneath, should help. In hindsight I was flying it between me and the sun, I'll try it down sun next time.
Tsk, tsk... That ought to help, Gary, but I don't believe the German Luftwaffe was quite into `dayglo' colors at the time...

(Post a photo, tho!)

Roger
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:51 PM
Bring It On !!!!!
Newmarket, England.
Joined Aug 2006
688 Posts
Cool model Gary

I thought about one of these some time ago and it wasn't until I read a build and review in September's RC magazine that I realised the kit was available.

The guy who built it also had a similar incident on it's maiden which resulted in a few yards of flight before it went groundwards and broke the prop.

Before I buy one , as I'm pretty much a lone flier although a member of the Newmarket Model Flying Club, ( I work crazy hours to everyone else) Is it a tad difficult to launch on your own ???
Cheers. Noel
soundcheque is offline Find More Posts by soundcheque