HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Discussion
E-Flite Apprentice - Wing Hold Down Rods Suck

I was given an E-Flite Apprentice 15e trainer plane to have some fun with, and it has never been flown. However, it is 3 years old, and it has been sitting in my Uncles garage gathering dust.

The original rubber bands were weak and dry, so I ordered a new E-Flite replacement set and re-mounted the wing with the new rubber bands. Took the plane out to fly and it is an excellent flying aircraft, but there is a huge quality issue with this plane. The Wing Hold Down Rods that essentially hold the rubber bands and the top wing together, they decided to just snap off on the entire left side of the aircraft, right where the cap is glued on. The caps did not come off, which is what E-Flite indicates as a quality issue, no, the rod itself snapped off. I was only doing a banking turn at maybe 20 miles per hour.

This resulted in the wing swinging around and shearing off the tail section prior to flying off completely, then the fuselage did a nice nose dive from 100 feet to the ground! With lots of epoxy and some new parts, she will fly again.

Upon inspection of the Wing Hold Down Rods, I find that they are extremely cheap, thin, hard, plastic rods, that easily snap with pressure. Has anyone else experienced this, and what is a good alternative to using a plastic toothpick to hold the wings on?
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:44 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Mine was newer than yours, now sold, and as I recall mine had sturdy wooden rods with plastic caps. A cap came loose but was easily glued back on. No loss of rubber bands. BTW, any office store sells LARGE bags of bands, choose your size, for cheap!
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:17 PM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Mine was newer than yours, now sold, and as I recall mine had sturdy wooden rods with plastic caps. A cap came loose but was easily glued back on. No loss of rubber bands. BTW, any office store sells LARGE bags of bands, choose your size, for cheap!
That's good to know that the later ones have sturdy rods, so I will order the replacements from E-Flite. Thanks for the tip on the rubber bands.
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:00 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
I personally don't like to trust wooden or plastic dowels like those. The only way I feel safe is if its either carbon wrapped aluminum, or a solid piece of steel.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..