HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bad Karma, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:46 PM
Karma's Evil Twin Brother
USA, OH, Maineville
Joined Sep 2009
283 Posts
Discussion
11 year pack a day smoker quits, even though 'nobody likes a quitter'

I made it 21 years without ever even trying a cigarette. I played sports all the way through high school, and this was a simple enough deterrent to keep me away from smoking. It's not exactly like I wanted to hang out with the kids who smoked anyway, most were lacking any redeeming qualities. The previous statement is in no way intended to knock you if you happened to smoke in high school. It refers to my classmates specifically.

In college, with my deterrent gone, I ended up rooming with the same 3 guys for the majority of our time there. They all smoked. And for me, it was a 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' situation.

Now I smoke when I fly, smoke when I drive, smoke when I watch tv, smoke when I post to my blog. I managed to convince myself over the last 5 years that I would find a convenient time to quit. I also managed to convince myself that $6.50 a pack was still worth it.

So now, with what I know will be my last pack of smokes in hand, and TONS of Nicorette in my future, I have three pieces of advice for the three of you that read my blog.

1. If you smoke, why not quit with me, we'll both be making healthier choices.
2. If you don't smoke, never start. It's dirty, smelly, costly, and that's not even mentioning the diseases. Plus, quitting sucks...or so I'm told.
3. Buy stock in the company that manufactures Nicorette, they will soon be getting a huge sales bump.
Bad Karma is offline Find More Posts by Bad Karma
Last edited by Bad Karma; Sep 26, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
My complete support and best wishes for your commitment! Similar story but I was almost 19 years old and a girl friend smoked, so I too, joined in. ThT was 36 years ago. I quit for a year once, probably 25 years ago. Failed. I so need to quit too, hoping it's not too late. I crave them bad and my lungs don't feel normal anymore. Wife wants to quit, but seems like never is always the right time.

Thanks for adding some motivation, and good luck!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:01 AM
Not fly. Jump good.
Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
114 Posts
I quit in Oct. 2009 after 10 years of smoking. In my experience, the actual quitting wasn't as bad as the fear of trying to quit. I had it built up in my head that it was going to be the awfullest thing I would ever go through. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. The first two weeks were lame, the next two weeks were a little annoying, and after that, It was all down hill. I smoked at least a pack of menthol's a day, two packs a day on weekends and social situations. Now that it has been two years since quitting, I realize that the continuing to smoke was the awfullest thing. Not only do I have clearer lungs, and a fatter wallet, but a clearer conscience too. I don't have to feel guilty about what I'm doing to myself any more. It was the best thing I ever did. Once you've stopped, don't EVER tell yourself that "just one, or half of one won't hurt, I'll still continue to quit after my stressful day is over..." That has never worked for anyone I know, and there will never seem to be a convenient time to quit, but there is, it's right now.

I used to say "If I quit smoking and put that money in a jar i could buy something really great". I have not used a jar, but every time I splurge on a new RC (plane, heli, truck, etc...) I don't feel bad for spending the money because I tell myself that's the money I saved by quitting smoking, and I deserve to spend it on something that makes me enjoy being alive, instead of something that WILL take my life.

I wish you and anyone else brave enough to make the right decision the best of luck and the strongest of will, and all the great things that will come with quitting. Examples: lots of extra cash for RC stuff or whatever else you care about in life, as well as more time on this earth to enjoy it.

If I can do it, anyone can. Keep up the positive attitude!
Best wishes!
skrface420 is offline Find More Posts by skrface420