HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by xplaneguy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:47 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,309 Posts
Cool
Dynaflite Butterfly Electric Conversion

Back in 2005, I built the Dynaflite Butterfly 99 inch span powered glider from a kit I purchased from Tower Hobbies. It was originally powered with an O.S. 15 FP and covered with Monokote in an Edwards AFB Flight Test scheme. After watching it collect dust for the past four years, I decided to convert it to electric using the E-Flite Power 15, 60amp ESC and a 14.8v 25 C 2200 mAh battery. The conversion only took 45 minutes with another 30 minutes devoted to reheating/cleaning the Monokote. I have four flights on it now with the new electric set up and I'm very happy.

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
Georgia, USA
Joined Oct 2010
22 Posts
When these were built by Craft-air in the early 80's I learned to fly RC on the little brother to the Butterfly...the "Piece-o-Cake". I love your electric conversion.
Fusionman is offline Find More Posts by Fusionman
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,309 Posts
I wish some of the other Craft-Air designs were produced by Dynaflite. The Winddrifter and Drifter II were great Craft-Air gliders. The conversion was incredibly easy. I flew it yesterday and my friends at the Muroc Model Masters were really diggin it. Good times with a classic!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:06 PM
United States, PA, Erie
Joined Jun 2006
89 Posts
Looks great!

What size prop did you use with that set up?

Can you describe the flight characteristics a little bit with that combo - are you typically flying around 1/2 throttle, flight times, etc? How well does it climb out?

JimO
Erie, PA
jyymbo is offline Find More Posts by jyymbo
Old Nov 01, 2011, 02:21 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,309 Posts
Jim,

I'm using a 9x6 prop and cruising at just under half power. Flight times are easily 15+ minutes at cruise and climb out is fantastic.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:50 AM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
270 Posts
xplaneguy, Love the covering job! I built one a couple years ago, and added the same motor and esc. I bet you needed the large battery to get the cog right. Im using a 11.1 volt 3200mha lipo and a larger prop. Mine feels a little under powered, but these are not speed demons. Mine will float forever if I find a good thermal. I liked the model so well, that I built the little sister, the Peice o cake. They are so relaxing to fly.
ejam is offline Find More Posts by ejam
Old Dec 08, 2011, 12:35 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,309 Posts
ejam-Thank you! It was an easy scheme to do and visually great at altitude. I 'm using the 14.8 25C 2200mAh battery and the CG was perfect.

All the best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
Apprentice 15e
Joined Nov 2011
36 Posts
New to this plane

Hi All,

I just got this plane(airframe only) today at the my club's swap. No one has an electric conversion of this plane. And this is my first built-up plane ever.

I already have an e-flite apprentice is power 15 motor, 30 A ESC.

Can xplaneguy please post some detailed pictures of the motor mount, battery arrangement, and servos?

Thanks,
Apprentice15e is offline Find More Posts by Apprentice15e