Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Discussion
Make octocopter with least 15kg payload

Hello all, this is my first post here so i wanna start say thanks to those nice people and there posts from witch i learned mutch from. Thank you! On to the topic..
I am as we speak building an hexacopter. But while im making my hexacopter i was thinking to atleast start the topic of my next project. As this will be a special one i think. My goal is to make an hex/octocopter that can do atleast 15 kg payload. Its not for a specific use.. but might be in the future. I have tryed search everywhere and cannot find any information as to what would be good propellers, engines, esc, batterys for my next project.. Perhaps you dont ether.. but what i am asking is... what do you think would be good propellers, engines, esc, batterys to use for this kind of project? It must be electrical and max 800 dollars it can cost all together.

Lets all push these multicopters limit just a little bit further, I know i will.
zowex is offline Find More Posts by zowex
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:19 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Aug 2010
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zowex View Post
Hello all, this is my first post here so i wanna start say thanks to those nice people and there posts from witch i learned mutch from. Thank you! On to the topic..
I am as we speak building an hexacopter. But while im making my hexacopter i was thinking to atleast start the topic of my next project. As this will be a special one i think. My goal is to make an hex/octocopter that can do atleast 15 kg payload. Its not for a specific use.. but might be in the future. I have tryed search everywhere and cannot find any information as to what would be good propellers, engines, esc, batterys for my next project.. Perhaps you dont ether.. but what i am asking is... what do you think would be good propellers, engines, esc, batterys to use for this kind of project? It must be electrical and max 800 dollars it can cost all together.

Lets all push these multicopters limit just a little bit further, I know i will.
No that is not even close to remotely possible.

Especially for $800
rallymatt is offline Find More Posts by rallymatt
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:29 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:

do you mean $800 per lipo motor and esc on each arm?
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymatt View Post

Especially for $800
i know.. ll probebly hear alot of that. But.. what if it was. What if someoen else out ther might know of a possible way.. not saying he knows. But perhaps he has ideas of witch he dont wanna try cos of time or money. So let me be the one trying to make what you think COULD be possible way but dont realy wanan try. Lets think crazy and letsd do the impossible. Thats how many great inventions and improvments are born and created. Ill be ready to increase the the money doubble if thats what is needed.. however. I wish to make this cheap enough for anyone to afford to build one themself... without the need to sell a kidny.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:36 PM
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3m1s1s View Post
do you mean $800 per lipo motor and esc on each arm?
what ever comes to your mind
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:45 PM
Newnan, GA
Joined Oct 2002
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymatt View Post

Especially for $800
I concur.
Matt Chester is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chester
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:49 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
well, best thrust per cost would be DT700 motor running 12-3.8" props and 25amp esc. about 35bucks for each motor+esc+prop shipped to your door. each will probably provide net 500gm payload. so you will need 32 of them . that is about 1k right there just in motor/esc. and you will need lot of lipos

your frame will going to very big. simple lattice work frame will probably work. tough to make it rigid when they are big though.
Centurion1 is offline Find More Posts by Centurion1
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:

Anything is possible if you don't have a budget limitation. Budget is only for the timid. If you have a dream you can make it come true. Money can be raised if your cause is noble enough.

Just say you want to lift a sick baby quickly and efficiently to the emergency room from the helipad with a multi rotor. You did say to dream right. If you can convince the public enough some one will step up and fund your project.

However if you are limited to $800 you should really dream about something else. Take another nap. You are not even in the ball park.

That being said you can lift anything given large enough motors, speed controllers, battery packs and propellers. The flight controller doesn't care how big your machine is, it is just a bunch of sensors and lots of algorithm.

So building the machine is not a dream. You seems to have it backwards. Now stop trolling and get back to your work.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined May 2005
1,180 Posts
I lifted 10kg with my octo (included the octo that was 3kg) !
I tryed to lift more, but I think you will have a pretty hard time to lift more than 10kg payload !

Maybe if you make a Y octo, 8+8 motors !
liteglow is offline Find More Posts by liteglow
Old Sep 26, 2011, 02:53 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liteglow View Post
I lifted 10kg with my octo (included the octo that was 3kg) !
I tryed to lift more, but I think you will have a pretty hard time to lift more than 10kg payload !

Maybe if you make a Y octo, 8+8 motors !
How about eight of these:

http://www.espritmodel.com/xera-4035-series-motors.aspx

20" X 8" propellers

12 cells battery packs 16,000 mah

and speed controllers to match.

At least 1" diameter aluminum arms.

No I have not done any calculations I am sure some one else can.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
on one of my planes, I am running on 8S8k pack on 19" prop. should not have issues to run run 20-8s. using sentilion esc.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Eq_52_20_.html

got enough power for straight up on 12lb plane. I am running 100 amp esc on it.

8 of them would do it easily .
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
on one of my planes, I am running on 8S8k pack on 19" prop. should not have issues to run run 20-8s. using sentilion esc.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Eq_52_20_.html

got enough power for straight up on 12lb plane. I am running 100 amp esc on it.

8 of them would do it easily .
you say 8 of those motor would do the job to lift 15kg payload easy?
What batterys would you suggest?
And what about these ESC?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7341
Would those work just to keep the price down a little?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:20 PM
NW England
Joined Jul 2005
620 Posts
I thought it was not feasible to use props larger than 12", maybe 14" due to their inertia preventing rapid enough rpm change for stability? Is there a thread with data on this?
ben123 is offline Find More Posts by ben123
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:59 PM
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
not sure on anything over 15". I've seen 15-4s being used before though.

I was going to originally suggest octo with 15-4s on 4S with plush 60 as somthing that can lift 10+kg. 8 at 2.5kg+ thrust each will give 20kg+ thrust possible on 4S. 400gm for motor/esc/prop and another 2.5kg for battery makes for 5.6kg plus the frame. leaving about 13kg net capability. may be bit more.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._60_Glow_.html
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben123 View Post
I thought it was not feasible to use props larger than 12", maybe 14" due to their inertia preventing rapid enough rpm change for stability? Is there a thread with data on this?
LOL we may need a collective pitch octocopter.