HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:41 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Discussion
Getting back into the hobby, but new to EDF

Hey Guys,

Short story is, I used to fly gas planes when I was younger (about 10 years ago lol). Anyways I have been out of the hobby for a long time, but I am looking to get back into it. I have been trying to do a lot of research on the new kits, and new tech that is in the RC world, and I ran across EDF Jets and my jaw dropped...literally.

I am trying to go about this the right way, but a lot of the information Is convoluted and confusing. This is in terms of things like what batteries, TX/RX combo's, kits ect.

I have been looking through HobbyKing and BananaHobby for kits and I came across one that I am completely stuck on:

http://www.bananahobby.com/2073.html

That is absolutely my favorite type of aircraft currently and I am close to purchasing but I am trying to find more info first.

1. What is a good simulator to kick the rust off my flying skills ( I plan on spending a lot of time on it before taking the maiden flight, which is why I am starting off without going to a micro flyer). Does any of them support higher channel radios?

2. When ordering a kit like this, is it better to go with the recommended add on's or source the battery pack, TX/RX combo separately? I want a competent system.

3. Is the kit from Banana Hobby good? Is there something out there that may be a better source? Is there any good places for reviews on EDF jets?

I know this is a lot of questions, I just figure I would ask instead of getting conflicting info from the Google machine.
fiveohmike is offline Find More Posts by fiveohmike
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
1. It is generally agreed that RTF or ARF kits from NitroPlanes, HobbyPartz, BananaHobby etc contain electronics that are pretty much crap.

2. If you are just getting back into the hobby, do you really want to start off with a 12 channel jet with so many parts and pieces to make sure work? Two esc's and two motors and multiple flying surfaces? Not to mention the need of at least a 9 channel transmitter but preferably 12?

3. It may just be me, but seems like you may be setting yourself up to get frustrated with the hobby right off the bat with this plane. I would suggest an easier to repair and maintain model such as a foam Habu maybe. Easy parts availability and upgrade-ability.

4. If you look thru the foamy section you can find just about any plane that has ever been made in there. And also a ton of reviews and opinions on companies.

Welcome back!

PAX
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for the info! I am definitely not trying to get frustrated However, I dont want to sell my self short the other direction. I was very good at flying the Nitro Planes back in the day, and i just dont want to spend money twice I guess.

I am very patient and will be practicing (through a simulator first). However I am doing more research as we speak to try and find the best route.

I definitely want a F22 of some kind, 70mm+ EDF units but I dont want crap electronics.

There is a ARF kit from HobbyKing I am researching, airframe only, that seems promising.

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:22 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
657 Posts
+1 on the Habu
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ7075

Its a great flying airplane with a proven setup. It is a reliable workhorse! It will get you flying while you figure out how to equip your F-22.

I get 4 flights during my lunch hour! (limited by having only 4 charged batteries. I charge at home, not at the field.)

Good luck

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Thanks for the input!

I may do that, since the price is not bad at all. Get some flying time with the stock electronics on the habu kit while I build the F22.

I may buy the F22 airframe only from Banana Hobby, then work on getting quality electronics in it while I fly with the Habu.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:09 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
if you want an f22 many people feel that this is the best flying one on the market:
http://www.bananahobby.com/1882.html

some even say it makes a pretty decent beginner EDF(after you are good with props)

although you may still want to change the guts out
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old Sep 26, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Ok guys, before I step up to a twin 70mm or other kit, what do you think of this as a starter EDF:

Habu EDF

4S 14.8V 30C LiPo

Spektrum DX6i Microlite Mode 2

Am I on the right track here? I like the Habu as well as it seems you can belly land it decently (would practice belly landing first before moving up)

Also, the DX6i would be able to handle some of the larger twin 70mm EDF's? I wouldnt need the extra channles for dumb crap like ejection, smoke and what not (just silly crap)
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:57 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Don't do the micro lite unless you want to only use servos that fit the "Micro" outputs.
And you might as well get the DX-8 as you will want it or more VERY SOON!
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:38 AM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
657 Posts
My flying buddy (who owns the Meteor in the photo) got back into flying after a long break (similar to yours). Back in the days, we flew formations together. After polished off his rusty thumbs with a Yak-54, he now flies his Meteor (Habu Clone) superbly.

As for belly landing... I personally would rather take-off and land on the wheels. I take-off from the in-field of a baseball diamond and land in the grassy outfield.

I would not recommend hand-launch. It is heavier than 64mm EDF. The chance of a bad hand-launch is high. You may want to consider bungee launch.

Good luck

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:57 AM
Nederland, OV, Zwolle
Joined Jun 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton View Post
Don't do the micro lite unless you want to only use servos that fit the "Micro" outputs.
And you might as well get the DX-8 as you will want it or more VERY SOON!
or save yourself some money and get a turnigy 9x/eurgle 9x wit frsky components, flash it with er9x and you have it all for 100 dollar...
Donky73 is online now Find More Posts by Donky73
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:53 AM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
I have both the meteor/habu and the f22 I mention above.

Both good planes, but I actually prefer the f22 as easier to fly but it does cost more.

And i second the hobbyking turnigy transmitter suggestion.
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird