HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:47 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Good advice fellas, thanks. Gary, you should know better by now...I am terrible when it comes to following APP (All Proper Procedures)... LOL....

It's a miracle I can get my planes to look halfway decent.
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:04 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Here she is! Looks like the weather is going to cooperate for a maiden! Crossing fingers that there is no other "hidden surprise" and she survives without incident!

If not? Then I am taking up knitting.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:11 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Here she is! Looks like the weather is going to cooperate for a maiden! Crossing fingers that there is no other "hidden surprise" and she survives without incident!

Looks great! Run a full battery thru it on the ground to make sure there are no ESC or other glitches. And make sure your prop is balanced. Good luck on your maiden! I am hitting the field today too! Yeah!
karltrek is online now Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:26 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,866 Posts
Handsome work..!!

Very good looking Aros, texture of foam is all but invisible.

But, run a battery through on the ground ( post #1338)...?? First time I've heard anyone advise that as escs need the cooling air to help them survive. Hear more about fellas burning them up that way..
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Apr 2005
78 Posts
Quote:

Wow, she looks great Aros, great paint job! Good luck for a clean, uneventful maiden and hopefully you can post a video, I'd like to see a nice smooth, safe landing on this bird--would be a thing of beauty!

BTW I received my new revised hub today, definetely stronger, thicker, and much more robust! Shouldn't be an issue anymore! With it they included screws, nuts, and also a spinner hub, which I actually used the old one since it looked nicer and shinier, now all I need is a break on the weather here in the NE and maybe I can maiden her.
orvel is offline Find More Posts by orvel
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:35 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,324 Posts
Looks good. Good luck!
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:46 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,659 Posts
Quote:
Question for you guys...

This is by far the most detailed job I have ever done on a foam warbird. Not to the point of Brandon Moon airbrushing excellence (if only!) but for me, the attention to detail has been better than usual. The paint is done, the trim is done, the Callie decals are set. The paint I chose SUCKS for the record (Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover 2X Coverage Gloss Navy Blue).

Do NOT use that paint. I let it sit for 3 days and it still peels the vinyl decals like you painted 20 minutes ago. Terrible!

I spent three hours going over all the peel-up paint and it sucked. SUCKED!

Mind you, it looks GREAT now that I did all that work but I would never recommend that kind of work from anybody.

So the question is, now that I have all the paint and decals in place, what do you guys recommend for a great sealer...The base paint is tacky and the rivet work I did is susceptible to weather...I want a good sealer that will seal the tackiness of the paint and protect the decals in the process...

Thanks in advance!
LOL...you over flatter me, thanks for the compliment. Just give it some time and let it dry.

She looks great Todd!!!
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:22 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Thanks for the well-wishes and comments.

Maiden was a success!!

Takeoff roll was clean with good tracking...Not too much torque...Minimal rudder input and she was in the air. A few clicks of left aileron and she was all trimmed out. Very graceful and very scale. Flew her with the tanks on so some parasitic drag was at play. Retracts cycled perfectly, no issues whatsoever.

Flew on a 6S 4000, balanced perfectly. Didn't get too crazy (still have PTSD from the last crash) but rolled her once just to check roll-rate and authority. Didn't want to press the battery so I came in after about 5 minutes.

Dropped flaps on final, very little ballooning but slowed wonderfully. Maintained a good glide slope and flared her to a nice soft landing.

WHEW!

So the cherry's popped, time to run my 6S 5000 through her in a few...

I had to fly her at 3/4 throttle just to maintain a decent airspeed. This is one beautiful bird and flying machine but she won't win any speed races. If you want this one to rip through the skies you will need to upgrade the powerplant. Lower KV motor, larger prop, etc...However, I think she's perfect as-is. I love my Corsair's flying scale and graceful in the air. (My Mustangs I prefer a little horses under the hood).

These retracts (PZV2) are very stout and the oleo struts are strong. I sure hope FMS continues the 1700 series because they are by far the most beautiful and wonderfully-flying warbirds I've ever owned.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
263 Posts
Thats awesome man, I can't wait to pick one up.
KaptnKurt is offline Find More Posts by KaptnKurt
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:13 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Just got back from sortie #2...Even better than the maiden. With more confidence I was on the sticks pretty good. High rates, no tanks...Flew much zippier than with tanks as you can imagine. This is the best tracking plane I have ever flown in all my 8 years of flying.

Both in the air and on the ground. Landing was too easy. Full flaps, chopped the throttle to idle and let her glide in. A touch of ground effect but I kept the nose down and she landed without a bounce. Bliss!

I took off on the pavement at my school this time but landed her on the soccer field. The field is wide open in all directions so it's perfect for when you are getting acquainted with a new plane. On pavement, I was taxing her back to my car and I was amazed at how she rolled perfectly straight without any rudder input! Now THAT is a first for ANY warbird I've ever owned. Wow!

Off to the LHS to grab some OD to paint my missiles. Happiest I've been in a long time!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, DE, Dover
Joined Oct 2011
394 Posts
Sounds like fun dude, us on the northeast coast envy you right now for sure.... the wind is relentless here after the hurricane

I truly hope FMS keeps the 1700mm series also.... when I can afford one..... P-47 for me
Smoothcruizer3 is offline Find More Posts by Smoothcruizer3
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:23 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Sorry about that nasty Sandy. I have dear friends and family back there right in New Jersey at the brunt of it. Terrible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:29 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,484 Posts
great Job Aros , looks awesome !!!!!
Congrats on the maiden ,
we have the same wind in Pa !! , seems like we have not seen the sun for 7 days now !
latest rumor is that Pa will see gas restriction because holding tanks were damaged but insiders are saying " fuel will go north to NY and NJ , no real damage to Pa holding tanks !!
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, DE, Dover
Joined Oct 2011
394 Posts
Thanks. My parents in law are about 10 mins from Seaside Heights where the media went to town with pictures and it is pretty bad on the shore side.... they live near the bay side more inland , down in a lagoon and their dock was 5 feet underwater and up to the house... They are fine but no power and heat really stinks .... my family are safe more inland thank goodness.

I love good success stories on their maidens. congrats again with the new hub style too
Smoothcruizer3 is offline Find More Posts by Smoothcruizer3
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:03 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Thanks guys. I used to live in Seaside Heights, it's crazy seeing the photos of the aftermath. Glad to hear your family is okay. Mine lucked out as well.
RCG Plus Member