HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:54 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Thanks Brandon...One thing less to worry about for the maiden.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:33 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,582 Posts
When's maiden #3?
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:41 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Well, today's a dry day sandwhiched between nothing but rain and since today is a paint drying day, looks like I will have to wait for the next dry weather day which around these here parts at this time of year it could be a while.

Gives me plenty of time to detail her out!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:52 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,582 Posts
So what's the scheme?
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:54 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Here she be!

I'm a bit bummed as the Navy blue paint I am using looks really good but it's not as dark as the FS version...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,924 Posts
" Originally Posted by Ldm
Yes, tower is great but the mark up is high!
DL motors thru hobby king were a good value then Great Planes /Tower got them and the cost went way up.
VQ and TBM work on low markup.
Example KMP was selling the ESM planes at $499, TBM got them and sold them at $299 for the very same model.
In addition TBM splits the import volume so that VQ can handle some of the distribution keeping the liability on the distributor low.
If you go to TBM site, you will see they are finally taking a price increase after three years with the models

Sounds great to me. How do you know all of this about them? And their business?
[/QUOTE]"
HI Brandon,
I know about their business model from many variables. Personally been to China and HK many times and the international modeling show.
1) I was very much into fuel war birds and watched Thomas developed his business in Texas and taking on the VQ line, improving the line and showing great communication with the supplier.
2)Then I was very involved with purchasing KMP planes and tracked the supplier back to esm .KMP had exclusive rights and at time was battling with CMP =China Model products , KMP was touted as the Gold standard brand and CMP was the value brand and there was even a CMP knockoff , I think it was Fly Models !!.
3) KMP was wood wings, glass fuse, CMP was Foam core with wood sheeting and a cheap poly glass fuse and Fly Models was just a cheap copy of CMP.
4)They all used USA Distributors, ESM was using KMP , CMP was using Giant Scale Planes in Pa , and FLY models was a direct EBay seller and also using Alex (AKM) models in Texas =later also selling CMP planes .
So --the fallout started with GSP (Giant Scale Planes) charging way too much for shipping after 10 years of exclusive distributorship, they could not meet MOQs, the owner had a bad rap on RCU and the rest is History. Nitro Planes picks up CMP along with AKM in Texas.
ESM--same issues with KMP, retail cost was too high, esm MOQs were not being met, Andrew Konder (KMP) said" quality is diminishing lol" so we are resigning the line ".
The ESM line cost to sale dropped about 40%; two new players take over Troy Built and VQ (Thomas in Texas).
Personably from this group I have purchased from KMP , VQ , TROY Built , Nitro and own about 4 ESM planes and about 7 CMP warbirds and 2 Fly model .
My own company imports approx. 120 mill in confection globally so I know imports and all the bull thrown around on RC groups by the distributors who claim so much product intervention and development but are nowhere in sight when there is a problem lol .
Yes I go to China and Hong Kong all the time and yes I bought FMS while in HK from our friend Philippi.
This business is all about MOQs, if you can muster the cash, the volume, and the consistency, China will be your best friend, let someone bigger stronger, faster come along and you have nothing to protect you at all.
They will rebrand, copy, and redistribute ECT as long as the end result is the potential for consistently bigger and better sales.
We have factory’s that were doing $20, million sell us out for one order with a retailer promising big sales and delivering on nothing and then the same factory comes back begging.
Remember one thing, a factory that is constantly changing distributors is a concern, unless is customer service based then there is good reason, but otherwise its typically sales drive based on agreed exclusive arrangements tied to production and unit sales.
In closing I was going to look into the distribution rights considering we know the market, we know the toy market and mainstream retail, the problem is that RC community is much like the candy market "new is news" but with candy your on-hand inventory is cheap even when it runs into a few million, with RC, your on -hand units can add fast and one dog is costly.
One last thing , I have very open about my concerns with Bh , yet my last 4 orders have been flawless including the shipment of a large plane from LX.
Everyone needs to look at all the facts , after all Nitro RC was ----yes they were 100% fact Raidentech, one of the worse ebay and virtual online retailers in RC History and they also had 7 other names !!!! So just remember with the exception of RC Castle and PWRC, and the two guys VQ and Troy Built , many have a name change and a tainted past !!!
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:21 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbirdfan2 View Post
I agree with the Nitro statement..... Always had great service with nitro, faster shipping,faster confirmation, better shopping satisfaction. I'm not privy to the inside info, but I was really upset when FMS dropped them.
Same here. Bought five FMS warbirds from Nitro. Never a problem!
Galand is online now Find More Posts by Galand
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:28 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
" Originally Posted by Ldm
Yes, tower is great but the mark up is high!
DL motors thru hobby king were a good value then Great Planes /Tower got them and the cost went way up.
VQ and TBM work on low markup.
Example KMP was selling the ESM planes at $499, TBM got them and sold them at $299 for the very same model.
In addition TBM splits the import volume so that VQ can handle some of the distribution keeping the liability on the distributor low.
If you go to TBM site, you will see they are finally taking a price increase after three years with the models

Sounds great to me. How do you know all of this about them? And their business?
"
HI Brandon,
I know about their business model from many variables. Personally been to China and HK many times and the international modeling show.
1) I was very much into fuel war birds and watched Thomas developed his business in Texas and taking on the VQ line, improving the line and showing great communication with the supplier.
2)Then I was very involved with purchasing KMP planes and tracked the supplier back to esm .KMP had exclusive rights and at time was battling with CMP =China Model products , KMP was touted as the Gold standard brand and CMP was the value brand and there was even a CMP knockoff , I think it was Fly Models !!.
3) KMP was wood wings, glass fuse, CMP was Foam core with wood sheeting and a cheap poly glass fuse and Fly Models was just a cheap copy of CMP.
4)They all used USA Distributors, ESM was using KMP , CMP was using Giant Scale Planes in Pa , and FLY models was a direct EBay seller and also using Alex (AKM) models in Texas =later also selling CMP planes .
So --the fallout started with GSP (Giant Scale Planes) charging way too much for shipping after 10 years of exclusive distributorship, they could not meet MOQs, the owner had a bad rap on RCU and the rest is History. Nitro Planes picks up CMP along with AKM in Texas.
ESM--same issues with KMP, retail cost was too high, esm MOQs were not being met, Andrew Konder (KMP) said" quality is diminishing lol" so we are resigning the line ".
The ESM line cost to sale dropped about 40%; two new players take over Troy Built and VQ (Thomas in Texas).
Personably from this group I have purchased from KMP , VQ , TROY Built , Nitro and own about 4 ESM planes and about 7 CMP warbirds and 2 Fly model .
My own company imports approx. 120 mill in confection globally so I know imports and all the bull thrown around on RC groups by the distributors who claim so much product intervention and development but are nowhere in sight when there is a problem lol .
Yes I go to China and Hong Kong all the time and yes I bought FMS while in HK from our friend Philippi.
This business is all about MOQs, if you can muster the cash, the volume, and the consistency, China will be your best friend, let someone bigger stronger, faster come along and you have nothing to protect you at all.
They will rebrand, copy, and redistribute ECT as long as the end result is the potential for consistently bigger and better sales.
We have factory’s that were doing $20, million sell us out for one order with a retailer promising big sales and delivering on nothing and then the same factory comes back begging.
Remember one thing, a factory that is constantly changing distributors is a concern, unless is customer service based then there is good reason, but otherwise its typically sales drive based on agreed exclusive arrangements tied to production and unit sales.
In closing I was going to look into the distribution rights considering we know the market, we know the toy market and mainstream retail, the problem is that RC community is much like the candy market "new is news" but with candy your on-hand inventory is cheap even when it runs into a few million, with RC, your on -hand units can add fast and one dog is costly.
One last thing , I have very open about my concerns with Bh , yet my last 4 orders have been flawless including the shipment of a large plane from LX.
Everyone needs to look at all the facts , after all Nitro RC was ----yes they were 100% fact Raidentech, one of the worse ebay and virtual online retailers in RC History and they also had 7 other names !!!! So just remember with the exception of RC Castle and PWRC, and the two guys VQ and Troy Built , many have a name change and a tainted past !!![/QUOTE]

WOW!!!...that is some good info, Thanks....was just currious
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:38 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Great insight! Thanks for sharing Ldm...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:01 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
The BiG Picture

Quote:
Everyone needs to look at all the facts , after all Nitro RC was ----yes they were 100% fact Raidentech, one of the worse ebay and virtual online retailers in RC History and they also had 7 other names !!!!
You know, I've had several years of flawless orders (probably 30 orders total) NitroPlanes. This is not to say that the product has been without issue, but that I am tenacious enough and persistent enough to get through to customer service on the occasions that I have had and issue and they have never been anything but helpful and willing to do whatever it took to make things right, including breaking open another kit in order to send me missing or damaged parts.

My history with BH has been somewhat less successful, but still nothing horrible, the worst issue being when I made the mistake of Pre-Ordering something and four months later having to have Paypal intervene in order to get my credit. I learned that lesson and no foul called, I simply won't pre-order anything EVER again from anyone!

That said, if you protect yourself by using merchant services, like a credit card or Paypal and you aren't too lazy to actually go to the wall (do the work) if you have an issue (most people are although not to lazy to whine about it) there is no reason not to use these merchants.

CS oriented retailers like Philip are the rare exception, not the rule by any means so by all means support those guys when you find them, but remember if you are going to go to great lengths to save 20% now, you must be ready to do the work needed when the inevitable happens and you have an issue.

My biggest beef is with these manufacturers that slack off on delivering support product. X-UAV is my latest pet peeve. They go by several other names depending on who is selling their product like Airwing at NP for instance or the unbranded stuff at HK. This company is notorious for a complete lack of parts support. The sadest thing is that their high priced product (generally not as expensive as LX, but close) is usually of very good quality and the AC I've had from them fly very well. The problem is, you break ANYTHING and you have to scramble to find a substitute because to my knowledge, in the years I've seen their product offered, they have NEVER offered any parts support. THIS BURNS ME UP.... Most of the models they sell are chock full of proprietary parts (case in point) and to not be able to replace them can be frustrating at best and down right "WHERE'S MY GUN" infuriating at worst.... The lesson here is make sure the models you are ordering have full parts support offered. If you don't see parts offered, find an alternative product.
jmpdgs is offline Find More Posts by jmpdgs
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:29 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
v8, The painting is done. All that's left is adding Callie decals once the paint is completely dry. This particular paint (A new brand of spray enamel I got at Home Depot since it was the only paint I found that was a dark navy blue) is taking forever to completely dry. Of course, it's not Summer here any more so the lack of warmth isn't helping but it's likely going to be another day or two before I feel comfortable applying the vinyl decals without too much paint sticking to the paper as I pull away.

I used my Sharpie metallic silver pen to color the rivet lines...Looks fantastic! Holy cow I was pleased with the initial results. FMS has these rivets raised in the mold so all I did was lightly circle the tops of the "bumps" and man-oh-man, that alone makes it look like a composite!

I'll take photos tomorrow or Sunday depending on weather and when I get the decals applied.

If THIS plane crashes from a non-pilot error I am going to throw up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:51 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,924 Posts
jmp great post , one last point and onto the plane , some distributors will take your money to build a container and that is why they say or extend a projected delivery , because they need to make the MOQ before they can order and they want to use your case to do it !!
Point in case "easytiger models" now showing up again as "bigapple something ".

Ok , back on the fun , Aros do you know when the plane will be avaiable in the states ?
Also how are the gear legs are they oleo struts ?
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:08 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Ldm, I'm not sure when it will be available in the States. I will ask for you.

They are oleo struts and in two major crashes from two different planes they both held up magnificently!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:35 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,924 Posts
Thanks buddy and excellant info on the struts , great to hear !!!
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:45 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Thanks LDM...good info

Here is a kicker of sorts...lol
I just finished insfalling the FMS 1700mm Corsair retracts in my LX giant Corsair and it's a perfect fit....works flawlessly.
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona