brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:11 AM
LE MANS, France
Joined Oct 2010
249 Posts
New strong Hub will be ship to FMS dealers in 10 days.
That's a good news.

Chris
HLC SHOP is offline Find More Posts by HLC SHOP
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:58 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
This is what I've been refering to. Todd, send these to your contact @ FMS
They are not going to solve this for the existing models.
So, just file off the leftover thread.
And as I said earlier: put a spacer on the threaded shaft, just before the hub, that will give you 3mm extra.
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:09 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
They are not going to solve this for the existing models.
So, just file off the leftover thread.
And as I said earlier: put a spacer on the threaded shaft, just before the hub, that will give you 3mm extra.
If you do that, you can not get the spinner on. As I also said earlier, the shaft adapter needs to be longer in order for that to work, but it is a good thought and idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,866 Posts
Quote:
If you do that, you can not get the spinner on. As I also said earlier, the shaft adapter needs to be longer in order for that to work, but it is a good thought and idea.
Ah, sorry, missed that. Well in that case the only option is to extend at the other end.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:50 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,729 Posts
Brandon - Post #1216

The image posted with the arrow pointing to the notch in the protruding molding was misleading to me. The actual point of contact is further down it toward or adjacent to the opening for the motor shaft. That is correct isn't it?

Godofthunder posted the only shots I've seen so far that show the relationship there with the unit assembled. There was some clearance there before altering, looked like maybe .050" - .070", maybe a bit more. I'm having a hard time believing something 'grew' out out spec that much to make contact. It may have but the order it occurred in is most important. I'm only posting this so that if FMS is to see these things, they don't have to contend with assessments that aren't clear or mistaken. If I owned one of these, I may want to move the motor forward a bit too but only after a pretty thorough run up to check if things really are hitting.

Also, I find myself questioning the blade material. The nature of the breaks I've seen in the images seems to suggest a brittle material with poor tensile strength, something akin to bakelite which would be a super poor choice for a prop blade. These blades must weigh in the vicinity of 1.3 ozs. each, heck of a lot of centrifugal force in that and working against the hub structure.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Oct 12, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added content
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,347 Posts
Quote:
This is what I've been refering to. Todd, send these to your contact @ FMS
Sent them today. Thanks!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:56 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,347 Posts
A note from FMS...

Hi Todd, Thank you very much for your great suggestions to us, I think it will help us more or less to solve the problem, we also received the same suggestions from other nice FMS supporters and friends, I am sure we will solve this problem soon.

I'm excited to get this fixed. I want to fly that gorgeous 1700 Corsair and P-47 again!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:36 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,347 Posts
Here's a couple more photos of the prop damage. I unscrewed the top of the hub so the prop breaks are more easily seen. gnats82 may be spot on with his comments about prop material and strength.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,866 Posts
exactly what my broken blade showed.... brittle material, little air bubbles in the material.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,576 Posts
I have no doubt whatsoever that Gnats is spot on. He's a gem. If FMS are not aware of his opinion they need to be.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:19 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
I have no doubt whatsoever that Gnats is spot on. He's a gem. If FMS are not aware of his opinion they need to be.
I've been forwarding the best comments on to FMS the past few days and gnats has definitely been part of that group. They are definitely well aware of the issues and thanks to the support and help from many here like Brandon and gnats, I believe FMS is going to get the next evolution/version correct.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,866 Posts
I managed to find a pic from the broken blade (that I sent to FMS when I had a accident with my 1400 corsair).
As you can see: airbubbles.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
I managed to find a pic from the broken blade (that I sent to FMS when I had a accident with my 1400 corsair).
As you can see: airbubbles.
I have a fear this is a pattern with some of these. Failure from a out and out heavy blade strike is one thing but if these are fatiguing from general use and minor bumps, it really is cause for concern. Most users, including myself, would not be inspecting them after such incidents for damage. Add to that the difficulty in seeing fractures, the issue is compounded. The material looks worse than I thought.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Oct 12, 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling correction
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
I have a fear this is a pattern with some of these. Failure from a out and out heavy blade strike is one thing but if these are fatiguing from general use and minor bumps, it really is cause for concern. Most users, including myself, would not be inspecting them after such incidences for damage. Add to that the difficulty in seeing fractures, the issue is compounded. The material looks worse than I thought.
Very good point and I agree with you on that one
RCG Plus Member